Need help with your equipment?
w1n78's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, June 6th, 2012 4:51 AM

new u-verse customer but with many tech questions

i currently have timewarner cable and it's fine at 20Mbps down and 1Mbps up. i want a faster upload speed because i do a lot of backups on amazon S3 and upload photos/videos to share with family worldwide.

i recently signed up to u-verse based on the information given to me by the sales rep. i just want to verify how true they are with existing customers. i signed up for the max turbo at 24Mbps. here goes my questions that i hope you all can help me with.

1) is the 24Mbps both up and down speeds? i know it's up to 24Mbps.

2) i asked if there was a monthly bandwidth cap. i was told no but there is a 250GB cap for at&t wifi that is not in my house. but upon further research i found that there is a 250GB cap for wifi connectivity and that it counts against me even at home with wireless devices. well that sucks coz i have tablets, cell phones, game consoles that are plugged in and auto connect when i'm in range of my network. can someone share a link that has an official at&t rule about this? i don't have the service installed so i'd appreciate an accurate answer. the cap is not good for me being i do online backups and photo/video uploads. i don't have this with time warner currently. now if i have to switch to business u-verse that's ok too. all i need is internet with a fast upload speed.

3) the rep told me that i was limited to connecting 10 devices. i asked if this was a limitation of the service or the equipment? she didn't have the answer. i have more than 10 devices connected using the internet at any 1 time. tvs, directv receivers, cell phones, tables, game consoles, etc. i have my own switches that can extend my network and i'm pretty sure the limitations on the amount of wireless devices are more than 10. i mean my current wireless router is doing it now. so is this limited by the u-verse service or the equipment given to me?

4) am i allowed to run webservers and vpn with the service?

5) i currently have time warner cable internet. from what i hear, u-verse runs through a coaxial. is this the same coaxial cable that time warner is currently using to provide me with internet or is it another that the installer will have to run inside the house?

my installation is in a week. hopefully i can get some answers. if it doesn't work out, i may just stay with time warner but get their business internet plan. not sure if they are using fibre though. i just want faster upload speeds with no bandwidth cap. please help. thanks in advance.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@w1n78 wrote:

thanks for all the information everyone. i was going to take the chance and get it installed anyway and cancel but with all of the feedback and possible headaches of not getting the speed promised by CSR and taking days off just to entertain the techs coming out and checking the line, i will save myself the headache and cancel my appointment. hopefully fios-like speeds will be available to everyone from more ISPs. it's 2012, one can hope, right?

i was able to upgrade my existing connection with time warner. now i'm getting 30Mbps down and 5Mbps up. on top of that, no data cap. still not what i wanted in the upload speed but it's 5x faster than what i had before. And 60% faster than AT&T.

again, thank you all for the feedback.

Glad to be of assistance.

Unfortunately most everything AT&T tells you lately needs to be taken with a grain of salt (or a pound), even that 45 day trial period, which is actually only 30 days.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I have AT&T Uverse high speed  Internet and the internet works great for the playstation 3, Ipods, my computer and such but not for my phone.  But that isn't even an issue for me,.  I want to know why everytime I am asked who my provider is online and I give my sign in information, I get a response "Access Denied"

I know AT&T TV is not available in my area but if I am watching over the internet that I pay for then I should be able to access ESPN watch now, or CNN, or whatever.  We don't have cable so the internet is our only source of communication to what is going on in the world and denying access to a customer who pays for the internet is rediculous.

Kristy Cisneroz

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

kcisneroz_71 - The viewing rights for TV content is not user friendly & not free. Over the air was/is free because they cannot figure out a way to charge you. As over the air was added to cable the model was - increased subscribers mean increased advertising revenue. The cable channel providers figured out they could supplement their advertising income by charging the cable companies. The over the air providers jumped on the bandwagon.

As the screens beyond TV become available the providers want to make sure they get income. So, they are willing to allow TV payers to watch. But, if you do not send ESPN $5 each month you do not get access. No more free.

LIke the premium movie channels - If you do not subscribe to HBO, you do not get access to HBO on the web. But, if I can watch only what I want to on the web, why do I have to pay the bloated price for a bazillion HBO channels. I believe HBO is trialling Pay for HBO on the web in Europe. Perhaps, ESPN will offer a similar product someday, but I bet the price is shocking.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I guess I'm just not understanding.  I have no problem with Hulu, Netflix or Amazon. But all those are not live TV.  If I go to live TV I get asked for my service provider, which is AT&T Unverse, I put in the correct account information and it says wait for verification.  Then I get a notice that says, Acess Denied, User Not Authorized.  What doesn't that mean?  I have a Uverse account.  It is not suspended, itis set for automatic withdrawl so what is the problem?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

kcisneroz_71 -
Check out the FAQs Here - http://espn.go.com/watchespn/faq

One says - WatchESPN requires a video subscription from an affiliated provider. & you said you do not subscribe to U-verse video.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks every one. I appreciate the assistance.Smiley Happy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.