bonnier243's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, January 5th, 2014 9:46 PM

local channels missing

How come we don't get all of the local channels as advertised?  We don't get 4.1, 6.1, 6.2, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 in the Miami market.  Comcast/Xfinity has some of them, we don't have any.  Why not?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@bonnier243 wrote:

How come we don't get all of the local channels as advertised?  We don't get 4.1, 6.1, 6.2, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 in the Miami market.  Comcast/Xfinity has some of them, we don't have any.  Why not?

You are partially incorrect.  U-Verse does carry 4.1, 6.1, and 10.1 in the Miami market.  4.1 is U-Verse channel 4 SD and 1004 HD, 6.1 is ch. 6 SD and 1006 HD and 10.1 is  ch. 10 SD and 1010 HD.  

Who advertised that AT&T carries the .x subchannels (such as 6.2, 10.2)?  In 99.99% of the cases, AT&T does not carry the subchannels.  You can request them here but truthfully, AT&T's pattern is not tio carry them.  That is unfortunate, since you can't use the AT&T DVR, even if you can get them via an antenna.  Smiley Sad

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

bonnier243 - Nobody knows. It just is.

The bureaucrats used the TV carry rules as warm up to right the new affordable healthcare rules. The complexity bogles the mind.

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

10 years ago

A majority of those channels you listed are sub-channels. AT&T U-verse has decided for some reason to not carry any subchannels in most markets. There are some execptions here and there but overall they just don't.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

I get all the local channels free off of a cheap antenna with a better quality picture. Were it up to me, that is all that I would have, but my wife wants more channels than the 15 or so free ones off the antenna thus, I have Uverse. I dont think AT&T has to carry any channels unless they get a contract with the local stations, and I am sure neither wants to pay the other for ALL of them. METV is free off antenna, but it is also on Uverse too, so I have option to record that. We all watch TOO MUCH TV as it is!

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@13rob13 wrote:
I get all the local channels free off of a cheap antenna with a better quality picture. Were it up to me, that is all that I would have, but my wife wants more channels than the 15 or so free ones off the antenna thus, I have Uverse. I dont think AT&T has to carry any channels unless they get a contract with the local stations, and I am sure neither wants to pay the other for ALL of them. METV is free off antenna, but it is also on Uverse too, so I have option to record that. We all watch TOO MUCH TV as it is!

Right about that part in red.  Local stations have a choice.  "Must carry" of the main (.1) station or negotiate via a carriage agreement.  Most local stations have went with the latter.  That being said, I have heard that AT&T is looking at carrying the additional subchannels but it may be a few years.  Some of the rest of your opinions I don't completely agree with.  OTA antenna's work good unless 1) you are too close 2) too distant or 3) have lots of multi-path "distractions."  I suffer from #1 and 3, lol.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.