Need help with your equipment?
zfam's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 10:17 PM

internet dropping out after guests using our network

Our internet is now suddenly dropping out every few minutes or so when I use my MacBook Air. It's happening at least every five minutes because that's how often my laptop checks for mail, and it's now always offline after only one check.

I got the laptop at Christmas and connection was fine since then. Then we had family visit this weekend--along with their iPhone, iPad, PC laptop. They all connected to our network, and suddenly the connection is dropping out--even though they and their devices are no longer here.

I'm not sure it's a problem with our larger mac, but it's also happening on my son's mac laptop.

After doing an online search, it seems that others have had this problem after having visitors use their network. But all of those posts link to a help article that is no longer accessible. From those posts, it looks like it may have something to do with the channel we're using on our gateway, but I'm not sure.

I'd appreciate any help.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

13 years ago

Try rebooting the RG and your computers that are affected.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

13 years ago

It may not have anything to do with your guests. My Router suddenly started doing the same thing on Sunday. Basically tech support said they have no idea why they do it. You can try to change your broadcast channel or lower your encryption.

Guru

• 

417 Messages

13 years ago

How odd.

I've had Uverse for 3 years and have never (repeat, NEVER) had an internet service disruption. Since Sunday, my wireless devices have sporadic difficulties connecting. The users lament (I didn't change anything) is true in my case. Hard booting the RG solves the problem in all cases, at least until it happens again.

In addition, I am unable to play recorded TV on two of the STB's in the house. When I try, I get a black screen of death but then the STB reboots by itself.

I wouldn't have posted all this but it seems to be on the way of becoming an epidemic with many people on the forums reporting variations of the theme. We can't really all have started having these types of problems all at the same time, could we?

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

I agree with Oz.  Do a hard reboot of your rg by unplugging the ac cable for 30 seconds and then reconnect it.  Let us know if this works.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

13 years ago

I wonder if that last firmware update had anything to do with this after reading people not changing anything and having the service for years. I have used an Airport Extreme from the beginning and so far so good.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

Recently I started using my treadmill, which is connected in the basement with my washer and dryer.  It interferes with the rg and after several days two of my laptops experiences the wireless connection losses.  Hard booting the rg resolves the issue for me.

Guru

• 

417 Messages

13 years ago

Last firmware update?

When and what date?  Would it have been automatic?

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

13 years ago

The tech I spoke to rambled on during his excuses and mentioned there had been a troublesome firmware update. I was so ticked at them, I didn't check for a date. Hope your problem gets fixed. My last Uverse day is March 23rd.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

Rebooting the gateway and restarting my computer seems to have done the trick. My husband had tried to reboot the gateway the day before by simply unplugging it; this time he went to the online page for the gateway and followed the "reboot" command. 

So far, so good. Thanks for your help, everyone.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

Glad to know things are looing better for you.  Some/many csrs don't even have Uverse and they are reading from scripts.  When you get an answer you don't like call and talk to another one, or come here and ask.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.