ginnpr's profile

Scholar

• 

148 Messages

Monday, June 2nd, 2014 7:19 PM

how to make incoming call go to answer machine

I am using Voice for phone - my question is - if I am on a call - and I get the beep that another call is incoming - is there anyway to have it go directly to my answer machine, so that I don't have to get off of the call I am on.  Tried to locate a setup for this but I might be missing something.

Thanks for any help!!!!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

ginnpr - Sorry to be picky, but it makes a difference. The call has no access to your answer machine in your house because you have control of the line.

If you mean the U-verse voice mail system - Yes, it will answer the unanswered call after the set number of rings. I think you have a good point because that number of rings needed is higher when you are on-hook ( so you can get to the phone) - & shorter when on a call (because you are there),

That would make a great feature. In the meantime, set the ring count to the lowest you can stand or that is possible.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

10 years ago

OK...here's how it works.....

Your answering machine ONLY answers if the phone is actually ringing.

If you are on said phone and you get another call, then your Voice Mail picks up (if you have set it up).  As aviewer stated, your machine can't pick up if it doesn't hear the ring.

When you hang up, IF someone left a message on your VM, you'll hear a broken dial tone to indicate that you have a message.  Then you press *98 and it will retrieve the message.  Follow other prompts to save/erase/etc.

So, to recap:  Answering machine ONLY if the phone is ringing.  Voice Mail when you are on the other line and don't answer it. 

If you have Uverse TV, a notice will appear on your TV screen stating "New Voicemail".

Scholar

• 

148 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the replies - is there any way that the phone can give a busy signal - as I don't use voice mail!!!!

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

10 years ago

@ginnpr wrote:
Thanks for the replies - is there any way that the phone can give a busy signal - as I don't use voice mail!!!!

You will have to CANCEL your call waiting to get a busy signal.

Scholar

• 

148 Messages

10 years ago

Hi - Thanks - how do I cancel call waiting - will that be for all calls or just the one that is calling now.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

ginnpr - Here is the link to all the u-verse voice features - https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401850&ct=9000083&pv=1&title=U-verse+Voice+Calling+Features#fbid=WVsAi2pAJw-

After a few gazzilion more clicks you can get to the voice mail toggle - https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB421180#fbid=WVsAi2pAJw-

You want to turn off the voice mail if you do not use it so that the caller will get a busy on no answer.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.