Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 2, 2014
12:19:26 PM
View profile
how to make incoming call go to answer machine

I am using Voice for phone - my question is - if I am on a call - and I get the beep that another call is incoming - is there anyway to have it go directly to my answer machine, so that I don't have to get off of the call I am on.  Tried to locate a setup for this but I might be missing something.

Thanks for any help!!!!

I am using Voice for phone - my question is - if I am on a call - and I get the beep that another call is incoming - is there anyway to have it go directly to my answer machine, so that I don't have to get off of the call I am on.  Tried to locate a setup for this but I might be missing something.

Thanks for any help!!!!

how to make incoming call go to answer machine

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2014 12:28:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
ginnpr - Sorry to be picky, but it makes a difference. The call has no access to your answer machine in your house because you have control of the line.

If you mean the U-verse voice mail system - Yes, it will answer the unanswered call after the set number of rings. I think you have a good point because that number of rings needed is higher when you are on-hook ( so you can get to the phone) - & shorter when on a call (because you are there),

That would make a great feature. In the meantime, set the ring count to the lowest you can stand or that is possible.
ginnpr - Sorry to be picky, but it makes a difference. The call has no access to your answer machine in your house because you have control of the line.

If you mean the U-verse voice mail system - Yes, it will answer the unanswered call after the set number of rings. I think you have a good point because that number of rings needed is higher when you are on-hook ( so you can get to the phone) - & shorter when on a call (because you are there),

That would make a great feature. In the meantime, set the ring count to the lowest you can stand or that is possible.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: how to make incoming call go to answer machine

2 of 7 (643 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2014 2:05:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

OK...here's how it works.....

Your answering machine ONLY answers if the phone is actually ringing.

If you are on said phone and you get another call, then your Voice Mail picks up (if you have set it up).  As aviewer stated, your machine can't pick up if it doesn't hear the ring.

When you hang up, IF someone left a message on your VM, you'll hear a broken dial tone to indicate that you have a message.  Then you press *98 and it will retrieve the message.  Follow other prompts to save/erase/etc.

So, to recap:  Answering machine ONLY if the phone is ringing.  Voice Mail when you are on the other line and don't answer it. 

If you have Uverse TV, a notice will appear on your TV screen stating "New Voicemail".

OK...here's how it works.....

Your answering machine ONLY answers if the phone is actually ringing.

If you are on said phone and you get another call, then your Voice Mail picks up (if you have set it up).  As aviewer stated, your machine can't pick up if it doesn't hear the ring.

When you hang up, IF someone left a message on your VM, you'll hear a broken dial tone to indicate that you have a message.  Then you press *98 and it will retrieve the message.  Follow other prompts to save/erase/etc.

So, to recap:  Answering machine ONLY if the phone is ringing.  Voice Mail when you are on the other line and don't answer it. 

If you have Uverse TV, a notice will appear on your TV screen stating "New Voicemail".

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 7 (619 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2014 10:58:01 AM
(0)
Scholar
Thanks for the replies - is there any way that the phone can give a busy signal - as I don't use voice mail!!!!
Thanks for the replies - is there any way that the phone can give a busy signal - as I don't use voice mail!!!!

4 of 7 (565 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2014 11:08:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

ginnpr wrote:

You will have to CANCEL your call waiting to get a busy signal.

ginnpr wrote:

You will have to CANCEL your call waiting to get a busy signal.

5 of 7 (563 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2014 11:14:06 AM
(0)
Scholar
Hi - Thanks - how do I cancel call waiting - will that be for all calls or just the one that is calling now.
Hi - Thanks - how do I cancel call waiting - will that be for all calls or just the one that is calling now.

6 of 7 (558 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2014 1:40:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
ginnpr - Here is the link to all the u-verse voice features - https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401850&ct=9000083&pv=1&title=U-verse+Voice+Calling+Fe...

After a few gazzilion more clicks you can get to the voice mail toggle - https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB421180#fbid=WVsAi2pAJw-

You want to turn off the voice mail if you do not use it so that the caller will get a busy on no answer.
ginnpr - Here is the link to all the u-verse voice features - https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401850&ct=9000083&pv=1&title=U-verse+Voice+Calling+Features#fbid=WVsAi2pAJw-

After a few gazzilion more clicks you can get to the voice mail toggle - https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB421180#fbid=WVsAi2pAJw-

You want to turn off the voice mail if you do not use it so that the caller will get a busy on no answer.

7 of 7 (549 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments