aart12's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, October 13th, 2012 4:53 PM

how do i block a number that is not 7 digits long?

Someone has been calling, at all hourz (usually between 1am and 4am. There is never anyone on the line. The caller ID shows 10-119-2529 or variations of 9-2529, which is less than what is required to place them on the call blocking list. How can I block this nussance caller?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

11 years ago

You can only enter 10 digit numbers in the blocked numbers list.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Restating the deficiency is not a "solution"  How can this be considered a valid answer?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I too have this problem except in my case the number shows up a "1".  This is one additional reason to move away from having a home phone number.  At least my mobile phone allows me to block any nuisance callers.  The "Do Not Call List" is ineffective.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Hey AART12,

If you have less than 20 people who call you, you might consider listing them as acceptable people...  so rather than listing the numbers of the people that you don't want to hear from, list the numbers of people you do want to hear from.  I think this is the approach that I'm going to take.  It'll work for those near & dear, but sorry to Great Aunt Arf Arf...  She'll be blocked. 😞

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

Get something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161096922258?lpid=82  It blocks 1200 numbers.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

A work around really is not acceptable. The software should allow for numbers that are not 7 or 10 numbers. The Telemarketers, etc. have figured out how to call with unusual number strings. AT&T should be ahead of them and figure out a way for us to block these other numbers. 

As a former customer service manager, telling the customer it has be xx (in this case 10 digits) does not increase customer satisfaction. At a bare minimum we should know when there will be software fix or upgrade to handle this situation.

AT&T gets a "F" on this one.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

This post has a link to eBay with sales for a $59.99 Call Blocking device. Why should anyone have to buy one of these if the ATT Call Blocking Service worked? By "worked" I am allows non 7 and 10 digit numbers to be entered.

This is an expensive workaround. Who knows if it works and to me it is totally unacceptable. There are other telephone service providers in town.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I completely agree that it is absolutely unacceptable that a device cannot specify a number that the network with which it was designed to work can send.  The correct fix, of course, would be to have the anonymous-call blocking feature include bogus numbers in its definition of "anonymous", or simply to refuse to ring at all, since - unlike anonymous calls - there is never any valid reason for doing this (As it stands, AT&T would not have a credible defense to a claim of allowing commercial callers to do this precisely so that they can get around the blocking features).

Because many telemarketers respond to being blocked by simply using another number, twenty numbers is a laughable limit.  In fact, because some telemarketers choose different numbers with each call, a much more robust solution is needed.  

First, it should be possible to specify a pattern of numbers to reject in addition to the whitelist approach, which is actually quite viable given that I have voicemail - the first time a new number calls, it would be shunted to voicemail until I add it; that is how I handle unknown numbers manually now - I don't answer calls from any number I don't know.  But here is where two other annoying features come into play:  again, twenty numbers is nowhere near enough; second, adding to the list should be a direct option from any place the number is listed, either on the web interface or in voicemail, rather than having to copy from one page into another form.

Please remove the marking that designates the original reply as a solution - it was not, and it is especially offensive given that more space was spent bragging about the poster than on actually giving the non-answer which showed a lack of attention to the actual question and was inaccurate to boot (while it is true that only ten-digit numbers are stored, seven digits can be entered because the local area code is prepended).

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

10 years ago

AND... isn't it interesting if you use a feature such as Do Not Disturb, which gives all callers a busy signal - then the numbers who tried to call, but were "blocked" don't show up on your Call Log.  AT&T has figured out that people will use thie DND, set it to give a "splash" ring and then check their Call Log and call Great Aunt Betty back.  Now if you set it to one of the services that gives out the "This number is not accepting calls from you, click" - then you get to see who called and was dis'd by checking your call log.  But then you have Great Aunt Betty calling and getting that message and then calling all the relatives and crying that she has been blocked.  Or worse - your employer or something like that.  Why is it that only one SOME of the setings do you get to see who was blocked or forwarded, etc - but not on all?  Hmm.  Bravo AT&T.  Getting a kick back from the filthy telemarketers are we?

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

10 years ago

What we need is to be able to block ALL calls, but... ANY we put in.  10, 50, 40,000 numbers - whatever amount it is.  Huh?  What's that AT&T - that would take up a lot of server room?  Oh, the lies.  It's funny how they have server room for us to have an Address Book online, in which we can clog up the servers with not only their First and Last Names, but a Middle too!  And Nickname!  And FIVE phone numbers!  Two IM screen names!  Title, Company and two Emails!  Address, website, work address and number!  And on and on and on.  Ok, I'm getting tired of typing so much.  Remove all that crud and then you'll be able to allow us to have a database of allowed phone numbers that is more than (laugh) 20.  But you won't, because AT&T is as dirty as all the telemarketers.  By making money off these bogus calls, instead of being happy with all the money they make off of legitimate calls.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.