Need help with your equipment?
dhascall's profile

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

Tuesday, May 3rd, 2011 8:22 PM

Wireless Adapter keeps losing connection

I had to get a new RG.  As such, I had to find a new way to connect my main desktop computer.  A lightning strike zapped the NIC card in the PC last summer and I had been using the PC-USB port on my old RG to feed the PC for internet access.  Well, the new black RG's do not have that PC-USB port.  The tech had a wireless adapter (Netopia 3-D Reach) on his truck and he set that up on my PC.

The internet has been working fine since the Tech installed the card on last Friday. On Monday I noticed quick, disconnects.    It's still working fine 99% of the time but once in a while, I will get "Page cannot be displayed" errors for a minute or two and then I will get a balloon with "Wireless Network Connection is now Connected."  And then all is good until the next time.  Happens anywhere from 3-10 times a day.

What causes it and is there a fix?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

389 Messages

13 years ago

Since you used to use the USB connection, I assume your PC is pretty close to the RG -- maybe too close?  I've found that when I have my laptop a few feet from the RG the connection is slower and less reliable than when it's farther away.  So you could try moving the RG away from the PC, or vice versa.  Or reduce the power setting on the gateway.

Or you could put a new NIC in the PC and forget about wireless.  My local computer store lists a 100 Mbps PCI card for $9.

--

oobleck

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

13 years ago

You can try changing your wireless channel.  There should be a menu item when you type Home into your browser and it brings up the configuration change.  You may be getting interference on the channel you are currently on.  You may also check your power setting and see if that changes.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

Have you checked the channel and power settings? I have read that channels 1 & 11 are "low power" due to FCC restrictions. 

Go into the RG and be sure power is set to 10 (max & default)  & randomly pick another channel (not 1 or 11).

Use your computers "loin a network" utility ( maybe find a sniffer program) to see if there are competing wireless networks causing interference.

Maybe move/reorient the RG. Vertical may be better. Someone reported better signal when placed  on the floor. Slight change in location may make difference in reception.

A couple of years ago we had a similar situation & never did get it to work. Other computers had no problem.

There are a bunch of devices - search for wi-fi repeater - with super antennas - dont know if you can believe their claims.

There was a post on one of the forums that I just saw. Can't find it know. If I run across it I will post it here.

Found it -they like a product at newegg.com -

http://www.uverseusers.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=2&topic=17390.msg161629#new

Also, found much discussion on this subject in the at&t DSL forum

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

13 years ago

I'm not a case cracker but the new NIC card sounds the best bet. I will look into checking the power settings.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.