ROA8634's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, August 1st, 2015 7:08 PM

Will ATT upgrade to support 4k broadcasts?

What are ATT's plans and schedule for upgrading their systems to support UVerse broadcast and internet broadcasts of 4k quality programming and videos?  I suggest ATT move in that direction soon before losing customers.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@klepp0906   Nope, I still believe the testers.  They were using 4K HD programming and found under those conditions you can't see any difference from more than 2' between a 4K HD and regular HD sets.

You are not taking that into consideration that HD sets themselves will have a better picture under 4K HD, can't compare it to HD now.  Especially my Panasonic plasma would look great on 4K HD programming.

Once again, think 4K HD will not get that big as 8K UHD is rolling along and think it will roll over 4K HD. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Mentor

• 

73 Messages

8 years ago

So you believe a group of regular people who couldn't tell the difference between Nintendo and Genesis?

Anyone remotely technically literate can not only tell the difference aesthetically but can understand that the difference mathematically is the same as going from sd to hd.

To be honest - I don't even have perfect vision anymore. I am farsighted and am almost certainly less than 20/20. Not bad enough for contacts just yet though.

Regardless - and no offense, but people that choose to "believe" anything, at least anything in this realm, are playing right into the hands of those that love sheep.

Do yourself a favor, view it for yourself.

The real kicker? I can tell the difference easily between an uncompressed 1080p source and a streamed 4K source (considering that's all that exists atm).

I'm sure an intelligent guy like yourself understands that when uncompressed 4K blu Ray hits shelves the difference is going to be that much more profound.

When my dorky wife is mesmerized by a YouTube 4K that's all the confirmation I would need even if I didn't know any better.

As for your assumption that 4K looks better even on non 4K tvs... You are incorrect and this shows how ignorant you are regarding the tech.

Same as trying to watch an hd stream on an sd tv. It'll look like sd tv.

It's not all bad and baseless however. If you try to watch a 4K stream from 15 feet away on a 25" tv, no you wouldn't find merit in the superior content. That being said, this is why most if not all 4K tvs are >50".

Know way I can "prove" this to you over the web. I'll just say that being a complete tech head/videophile/audiophile who has spent more than 30k between his PC/tv/audio setup, I'm pretty well versed in the differences in technology. Anyone who appreciates video quality will find the value especially Considering how cheap it is now.

If your one of those old folks who accept tv as tv and could care less... Then I get it and that's fine.

{keep it courteous}

If your trying to argue it's not going to be mainstream, your already being proven wrong as we speak. Do me a favor and check how many non 4K tvs are coming out this year. Even oled is already moving to 4K.

More pixels is more pixels bud and I hate to tell you, but if you think we are ANYWHERE NEAR 8k you'll learn. If your not afflicted with dementia by then anyhow.

We just developed the physical medium to fit enough data for 4K. Consumer grade broadband doesn't have the bandwidth to handle 8k nor will infrastructure support it for likely on the order of a decade or better. Network antennas? Even longer.

Your very misinformed. No offense, I just dislike misinformation being spread regardless of context or subject. The Internet is horrible.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@klepp0906  Fist of all calm down, this is not life and death.  The testers were the usual groups that do TV testing all the time.  You wrote "So you believe a group of regular people who couldn't tell the difference between Nintendo and Genesis?"

Don't appreciate you keep calling me ignorant and there is no need for it, it's my opinion just as your is yours.  Smiley Mad

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Mentor

• 

73 Messages

8 years ago

Conveniently sister, bro in law are by with infant to visit ours.

Put on a YouTube 4K video after asking if they've ever seen 4K.

Each watched it independently of one another and I asked them if they can tell the difference.

Both said yes - looks way better. I asked them to look again and if they were sure.

Anecdotal and only confirming what I already knew.

65" with compressed 4K from ~10'

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

8 years ago

I do know that Netflix, Amazon Prime and a few others have some, limited 4K content but I'm curious @klepp0906, what provider are switching to when your contract ends?  Comcast put out lots of press releases that they would have a UHD box by COB 2015 but I've never seen nor heard of one. Broadcasters (OTA) are still at HD and for good reason - there is no Network UHD content.

These same forums had folks threatening to leave because they weren't offering much 3D as well.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.