Need help with your equipment?
crowation's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, August 3rd, 2016 5:06 PM

Why pay for a Data Cap?

I've talked to two different representitives about my bill and so far neither of them could answer this question. I'm currently paying ~79$ a month for Uverse Internet Max, with 24 mps download speeds and a new data cap of 600gb. As someone who streams movies, plays games, and downloads videos, this data cap is unnacceptable. Google Fiber offers internet speeds at almost 4 times the rate, with NO data caps and is roughly 18$ a month cheaper. Why shouldn't I switch?

Community Support

• 

230.7K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @crowation,

We recently made a change to the data allowance for U-verse and increased most plans to 1TB. We will have to refer to our More Data, More choices article here

-ATTU-verseCare

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

It's still limited... As long as you are limiting the internet with a data cap (or allowance), AND charging people higher prices for slower speeds than your competitor in your area, you are going to lose A LOT of buisness.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@crowation   https://www.att.com/help/internet/usage.html

See the 1TB caps there and not many are going to go over that 1TB, what it should've been from the start. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

[Inappropriate content removed]

IMG_6625.JPG

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

LOL linking to Google Fiber's offer is innapropriate content? Guess you don't want anyone to know there is a better internet service out there.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@crowation   Not for very many locations is there Google Fiber to begin with. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

It's available in my area. If At&t didn't put  restrictions with data allowances, or offer their long term customers rates lower than google fibers ( because at&t is slower ) I probably would stay, but the only thing anyone does when i contact them is offer me promotions that are more expensive than Google Fiber and my current rate. 

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

8 years ago

If you don't like the cap, switch to another provider.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

If only it were that simple. AT&T has a monopoly only my neighborhood. My choices are AT&T or live without internet like it's the Stone Age. I can't find an e-mail address for complaining to corporate (perhaps be design). So, my only recourse is to air grievances here. So, to AT&T staff I want you to know that we all see that this data cap is an artificial number and blatant money grab imposed on customers like myself that are simply captive to your services at the moment. I have been an AT&T customer for over 20 years. I hope this move makes you buckets of money in the short run. I also hope it eventually causes your entire company to implode and disappear.  I have canceled all cell services and changed companies. When I move next year I will be certain to move out of AT&T "turf". The first nanosecond that I have a choice you will lose me as an AT&T customer from that moment until the day that I die. Nice Job you greedy corporate pigs. That is the G-Rated version of how I really feel about you.  

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

8 years ago

Too be fair At&t does allow you to bypass caps though it will cost you an extra $30 a month but at least the option is there. I rarely go over 1TB but I like having the peace of mind with unlimited. And At&t is by far the best company that has handled these data caps. be thankful you don't have to deal with Comcast. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.