Ouch1234's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, December 8th, 2013 1:57 AM

Why does my TV have to go to live TV when something starts to record?

I've only had U-verse for a few days now, and I'm not happy.   I was in a middle of watching a football game with about 30 minutes behind live TV.  I always like pausing for about 30 minutes so I can skip through the commericals... My wife had a show set to record in the back bedroom, and it made my living room TV go to Live TV causing me to lose 30 minutes of the game on my TV.    Why did this happen?  Is there anything that will prevent this from happening in the future?   I'd really would have been mad if I had lost this during a close match at the end of a game.

U-verse's TV guide settings stinks big time too. They have seemed to make as hard as they could for their customers.  It lacks a lot options and the ease of operation that Dish Network offers.  Why in the world would they make the skip button for commericals 16 seconds when most commericals are 30 seconds long?  It stinks having to press the skip button 2 and sometimes 3 times for the same commerical.  

I'm not sure I'm going to make it through my 30 day guarantee with U-verse TV.  It seems they just slapped something together and put it on the market.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

The switch to live TV depends on how many streams you have, how many shows are being recorded, etc.  You have a total of 4 streams so the amount of TV shows you can record and watch is 4. 

What I always do is tune to the show, football game in your case, and press the record button on the remote.  Then go to the recorded shows list and select the game in your example.  Watch the game from there and pause, etc.  Doing it this way insures you get to see the whole game.

As for the skip button it's about usless.  Most all press the FF button 2 times and when the show starts press play.  Once the play is pressed the show will start about 3 to 5 seconds behind where you pressed play.  So you will see the last second or so of the commercial and then your show as you want to.

The guide is what it is.  It's not like Dish, TWC, or any other.  It's not bad once you get used to it.

Edit:  One thing I forgot to mention was once you press the record button and go to the record shows menu and select the game, you might want to add more time on record options in case the game runs longer than scheduled.  I normally add an hour for sporting events.  Regular shows the extra time is not needed.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

10 years ago

@Ouch1234 wrote:

I've only had U-verse for a few days now, and I'm not happy.   I was in a middle of watching a football game with about 30 minutes behind live TV.  I always like pausing for about 30 minutes so I can skip through the commericals... My wife had a show set to record in the back bedroom, and it made my living room TV go to Live TV causing me to lose 30 minutes of the game on my TV.    Why did this happen?  Is there anything that will prevent this from happening in the future?   I'd really would have been mad if I had lost this during a close match at the end of a game.

_________________________________________________________________________________

@Anonymous gave a great response. I want to add to the highlighted part. Uverse has whole-home DVR. Unlike other services, you don't set shows to record "in the back bedroom" or "in the living room", etc.Shows record "in the house." It doesn't matter who sets it or in which room it was set, it's recording in the "whole house". 

Depending on your family's viewing habits, this may take some adjustment. If the max streams are being used often, look for repeat airings of shows to record instead of primary airings. A lot of cable channels will air the same episode at 8 PM, 11 PM, and 1 AM, for example. Record the 1 AM airing instead of the primary airing, and conflicts will be less likely. 

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

I've noticed a dialog box that pops up while watching a recording (while it's still being recorded i.e. time shifting) that all streams are now in use.  An annoyance to be sure as you simply click okay and the program was never interrupted but if someone doesn't know, they may think that their recorded stream is being messed with.

Must be an error - something that should not be displayed in that circumstance.  \Anyone else notice this?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

It's been a while, but there was a time around 7:00 pm when there were a number of recordings set & watching a channel I would get the live TV message, but it went away quickly. I was thinking the overlapping of the recordings was causing it.
Just another factor to consider as using up streams.

It really is a complicated process & I could see that a momentary condition could be enough to trigger a message.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.6K Messages

10 years ago

This bug is not what dhascall mentioned. I've got the "live TV" mention even when nothing else is recording or even set to record for several hours.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@baseballisback wrote:
This bug is not what dhascall mentioned. I've got the "live TV" mention even when nothing else is recording or even set to record for several hours.

Could it be that you hit the 60 minute buffer?  I've seen that, when I paused live TV, went away for too long of a period of time and saw the "live TV" box.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.6K Messages

10 years ago

I'm not at all near the buffer. Besides, why would it go live AND lose the buffer if it was an hour behind? All other DVRs would simply start playing.

Look through the archives. I found an old thread about this happening from 2-3 years ago. We're not the only ones...

Former Employee

• 

549 Messages

10 years ago

Hi Ouch1234,

Just checking up on your post. If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment in the future, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

- MorganCS
- ATTU-verseCare

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.