fool58's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, August 11th, 2014 10:55 PM

Where is the Hallmark Channel?

I am new to At&t U verus. I was told when I signed up the Hallmark Channel was available.  It took me a week to finally realize you don't have it. Very misleading.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

@JefferMC wrote:

I doubt Crown will accept the correspondingly lower number of subscribers at the offered price, so they'd want yet more money per subscriber.

Why not?  It's revenue, and additional audience for advertisers.

Because if it were that simple, the deal would have been done years ago.

What great seismic shift do you foresee that would get the sides to move to such a marketplace?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

I think several factors make a market concept more possible now that it used to be:

1. Smaller content providers are being pushed out of the market because distributors won't pay their demanded price. Some of those content providers might like a market concept because it lets them get more subscribers.

2. There are many more distributors now. It's not just the big cable and satellite companies, but smaller providers have entered the marketplace. If IPTV delivery becomes commonplace (which it's moving towards), virtually anyone could have a small distribution company. Hotels, restaurants, etc. could each become their own mini-distributor, and buy only the channels that they need for their business in the marketplace.

3. Congress and associated representatives are beginning to notice the constant arguments and dropping of channels that's happening more and more frequently now. If something doesn't change, the threat of additional regulation looms. Content providers and content distributors would be wise to implement such a marketplace on their own to avoid that.

4. Part of the overall problem is an issue that has become more and more prevalent throughout the US: No one wants to understand or pay for the true cost of an item anymore. You say that Hallmark should charge a smaller provider more, while I say the cost per subscriber should remain fixed. Why does Hallmark think that a smaller provider should pay more? Volume discount really doesn't apply here because there is no cost savings to the provider with scale. This isn't a manufacturing line with widgets ... the content is already created and already exists. If Hallmark has priced the content correctly, costs are already covered, and anything additional from more providers is simply profit.

If costs aren't covered yet, then what that means is that Hallmark priced the content too low in the first place or has failed to control overhead. Either way, there is a disconnect between what Hallmark thinks the content costs them and what the true cost is, and they are either unable to unwilling to see that.

Another (non-TV industry) example is gasoline taxes. Gas taxes fund the maintenance of highways, roads, bridges, public transportation, etc. Total cost of those items nationwide was about $52B last year, but because people are driving less and driving more fuel efficient cars, total revenue from gas taxes was only about $41B, an $11B shortfall. Obviously, the answer is to raise revenue by raising the per-gallon tax, but nobody wants to hear it. People have trained themselves to ignore the true cost of their luxuries. The true cost of driving a car includes paying for the road maintenance but people stick their fingers in their ears on "principles" like "smaller government and lower taxes".

The bottom line is that these days, everyone wants to enjoy the items and nobody wants to pay for them. THAT is the true reason we deficit spend.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

10 years ago

This whole Hallmark discussion makes me think of a messy divorce and the customers are the kids. 

Dr. skeeter will now answer your questions:

1.  Why are they parting ways?  Well, kiddies, sometimes relationships end and it's just best to shut it down.

2.  Why can't they work something out?  Both parties want what they want and it doesn't look like they can come to an amicable compromise.

3.  But we're the ones who are suffering.  We know but that's life but you need to put on your big boy/girl panties and deal with it.

4.  Why did you have to go and mess up a good thing?  LIfe happens and you'll survive.  You might not like it but you'll survive.

5.  Will we ever see you again?  Of course, but only if you have a friend with Dish or Direct TV or other cable provider.

You can stomp your feet and pout all day long and if you want to run away (leave Uverse), you can do that but just know that it's not going to change anything.

*note to self: I gotta stop watching so much Dr. Phil.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@skeeterintexas wrote:

This whole Hallmark discussion makes me think of a messy divorce and the customers are the kids. 

5.  Will we ever see you again?  Of course, but only if you have a friend with Dish or Direct TV or other cable provider.

What Dr. Skeeter meant is Dish, Direct or any other major provider.  Just not U-Verse. Smiley Very Happy

She also failed to answer #6 "Are ego's involved?"  The answer is yes, one or both parties had their ego bruised and picked up their marbles and sulked away, in disgust. 

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

10 years ago

@dhascall wrote:

What Dr. Skeeter meant is Dish, Direct or any other major provider.  Just not U-Verse. Smiley Very Happy

She also failed to answer #6 "Are ego's involved?"  The answer is yes, one or both parties had their ego bruised and picked up their marbles and sulked away, in disgust. 

EGO can definetly be a big problem in any relationship!

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

10 years ago

Between the thread that was shut down, this thread and the numerous others, I cannot believe there are this many unique individuals who would blindly sign up for AT&T without checking the channel lineup. Does Comcast, DirecTV, Time Warner, whoever else have the same issue? I would hope these people would research neighborhood issues (crime, city parks, grocery store locations, etc.) before moving. Do they look at TV issues (Plasma vs LCD, Sony vs whoever, etc) before dropping several hundred on a TV? I am quite sure that AT&T stores and AT&T representatives have current channel lineup cards that are given to new customers... I know I got one.

Scholar

• 

155 Messages

10 years ago

baseballisback writes, "Between the thread that was shut down, this thread and the numerous others, I cannot believe there are this many unique individuals who would blindly sign up for AT&T without checking the channel lineup."

I can.

Many people switching to a different company to provide cable television programming assume a sameness. ("They're all the same!") Particular companies are identified for a specialty in what may be exclusivity of some unique programming (like NFL Sunday Ticket with DirecTV). But when it comes to full-service programmers like that from basic cable—CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, MTV, VH1, CMT, BET, WGN America, FX, Comedy Central, TBS, TNT, Turner Classic Movies, AMC, E!, Bravo, USA Network, Syfy, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Disney, Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet, A&E, History Channel, National Geographic Channel, HGTV, Food Network, Travel Channel, Lifetime, Lifetime Movie Network, etc.—there is an assumption by many who figure that every provider naturally has all the essential programmers.

That is how the mistake would be made by those who did not check the programming lineup, to see no Hallmark Channel and/or Hallmark Movie Channel, in advance to signing up for AT&T U-verse.

I want AT&T U-verse and Crown Media to reach agreement—finally!—with returning the programming to the lineup. There has to be some pathetic, behind-the-scenes reason[s] for why Hallmark Channel (SD/HD) and Hallmark Movie Channel (SD/HD) have not been returned. (I'm tired of the topic.)

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

10 years ago

This Hallmark thread will eventually become as large as the old one from 2010 that was finally shut down. What the people who are upset with U-Verse do not realize is that no matter how many posts or threats they make to leave U-Verse , nothing will change as a result.

AT&T is completely aware that there are subscribers who would like to have the Hallmark channels back. It isn't as if AT&T is surprised at this point by all of the posts after three years and three months.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@dwinth wrote:

This Hallmark thread will eventually become as large as the old one from 2010 that was finally shut down. What the people who are upset with U-Verse do not realize is that no matter how many posts or threats they make to leave U-Verse , nothing will change as a result.

AT&T is completely aware that there are subscribers who would like to have the Hallmark channels back. It isn't as if AT&T is surprised at this point by all of the posts after three years and three months.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

There really aren't that many different posters in these threads, it's usually 1 new post and 5 or six of us regulars responding.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

10 years ago

@dwinth wrote:

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again: I was a retention Rep for Uverse in 2010. I cancelled more accounts during the Scripps-conflict weekend that November than during the 2 years between Hallmark's disappearance and my departure. 

Heck, I would almost think I cancelled more accounts because of the FS Midwest Cardinal's game disputes (which affected only a handful of Uverse markets) than because of Hallmark.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.