Need help with your equipment?
jimgfitzgerald's profile

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

Friday, July 15th, 2011 3:47 AM

What Happened To My Internet Speed?

I have the 18/1.5 internet package that usually test at 16/1.4.  All of a sudden this afternoon, I dropped to less than 4 download speed and it's been there ever since.  Does anyone have any idea what would be causing this and how to correct it?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

I plugged my CradlePoint router back in this morning and disabled the RG wireless signal.  Wireless speeds are back up to near normal levels.  I guess I'll see if it can hold these speeds or drops off again later today or tonight.  There is one change I made that could have had something to do with it.  Yesterday, I unplugged my 2 Roku's from the STB and DVR and connected them wirelessly to my router.  I was trying to funnel all my internet connected devices through the CradlePoint router so I could track my usage with UV-Realtime.  I don't know why that would make a difference, but I guess anything is possible.  It's a moot point now because I never could get UV-Realtime to run without other issues.  So now, all my wired devices are plugged into the RG, STB's, or DVR and my two laptops and Droid are connected wirelessly to my CradlePoint. 

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

Is that speed wired or wireless?  Are you receiving the same speed both wired and wireless?

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

It's wireless.  I get the same speed whether I'm logged onto my CradlePoint router or my U-Verse RG.  I rebooted the RG, but it didn't make a difference.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

What speed are you receiving with a wired connection?

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

I just got 15.9 wired.  It's down to 2.2 wireless.  I think maybe something got messed up today when I installed and uninstalled UV-Realtime several times trying to get it to work.  I must have done that 5 times before I gave up on it.

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

Any ideas?

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

OK, it must be something to do with my CradlePoint router.  I unplugged it and logged back onto my U-Verse RG and wireless speeds are back to normal.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

@jimgfitzgerald wrote:

I just got 15.9 wired.  It's down to 2.2 wireless.  I think maybe something got messed up today when I installed and uninstalled UV-Realtime several times trying to get it to work.  I must have done that 5 times before I gave up on it.

What issue was going on with the UV Realtime installer?  Did it give you an error message?

Which OS?  XP / Vista / 7 ?  32 bit or 64 bit?

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

It's a 32 bit Dell Inspiron 700m running Windows XP sp3.  It's an older laptop I have had for several years.  My U-Verse connection is 100 percent coax.  The install of UV-Realtime went fine with no issues.  It's just that after the install, I started having the computer and internet hanging up and disconnects, etc.  Everytime I uninstalled the UV-Realtime, things went back to normal.  As I said, I did the install at least 5 times, but finally gave up on it.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

It's probably WinPCap. On a laptop that old, the network interface is probably not fully compatible with WinPCap, so the packet inspection that UV Realtime is trying to do is causing the slowdowns and problems.

You'll probably have to install it on a different computer that's newer.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.