chromosome's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, February 3rd, 2013 2:20 AM

Watch Uverse with Hauppauge 950 connected with cable box output failed

I tried to connect a Hauppauge 950Q WinTV-HVR in an attempt to tune in and watch Uverse cable TV output on my windows 8 computer. It did not connect with my Windows Media Center as my old built in TV card that was in my Vista computer (I used to be able to tune to channel 3 and watch whatever was playing on my cable box by operating the cable box, not the computer).

When I installed the software, it screwed up my internet connection, which I wasn't able to fix until I uninstalled the Hauppauge software.

Does anyone have a solution to this? I had thought I could just plug in the cable and watch whatever was coming out of my cable box.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

chromosome - Sounds like there is an incompatibility between the Hauppage software version and the PC OS version.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

You should be able to watch on your computer using the output of your STB.  I had that setup for almost a year with no issues.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

11 years ago

@oufanindallas wrote:

You should be able to watch on your computer using the output of your STB.  I had that setup for almost a year with no issues.

In reading aviewer's response, and re-reading the OP's post, I think that he was doing that (STB output to the tuner stick) but that setup no longer works on his PC.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

I missed the Windows 8 part of the original thread.  I'm betting it's a software conflict from Hauppage.  I'd check and see if they have updated software for Win8.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

No. I just got Uverse and tried playing it through windows media center. tech could not get it to work, either through coax or running through TV tunner. Something about IR not compatible. I have searched and searched and noone has a solution. I acn't believe som 1 million users are left stranded. I NEED to use the computer on the net AND watch Uverse, like I used to with Time Warner (SD only).

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

marcwojo63 - what inputs do you have for your computer - You just need to match the input of the computer with the STB output - any of these - COAX (tune computer to analog chan 3). or s-video & analog stereo sound or composite video & analog stereo sound.

Your mentioning IR is another level of compatibility. The media center IR blaster should be able to control the STB, just make sure media center is set to receive the proper signal as stated above.

On the other hand. as long as media center is on the right input, you can always change the channel on the STB with the U-verse remote.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.