Greg92154's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, April 12th, 2011 10:35 PM

Vizio TV Problem

Has anyone experienced a problem with Vizio tv's and U-Verse?  I keep getting intermittent AT&T messages saying a loss of video signal and to disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable and to unplug and replug the cable box.  In doing this it does not resolve the issue.  I have conected other tv's to this cable box and they do not experience the same problem.  I have moved the Vizio to other AT&T cable boxes within my home and get the same error.  Because the error seems to follow the tv I assumed the tv was the problem.  After having the tv repaired only to get the same error Vizio claims the problem is the AT&T service.  They say because the error message I get is an AT&T message it must be the AT&T service.   

Any thoughts?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

FYI, the solution that has worked for lots of people who were having handshake issues with their tvs and the stbs is, while thte tv and stb are still turned on unplug the hdmi cable from the stb.  Press and hold the power button until the lights blink.  After 5 minutes reconnect the hdmi cable to the stb.  If that doesn't work then using component cables to connect those two devices will definitely resolve the handshake issue.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

@Greg92154 wrote:

I tried this but when I use the component cables it steps down from 1080 to 480.  When I set the tv input to the component setting and keep the HDMI cable plugged in I get 1080 but still get the error message.  As soon as I unplug the HDMI cable it steps the tv down to 480.  While it's watchable at 480 it defeats the purpose of buying a 1080 tv.

Component cables are fully capable of 1080i.  Remember that component cables are different from composite cables.

Composite (older) cables are 3x RCA connectors, colored Red-White-Yellow, with 1x connector for video (yellow) and 2 connectors for audio (Red = right, White = left).  Composite cables carry a maximum resolution of 480i.

Component cables are 3x RCA connectors, colored Red-Green-Blue, with all 3 connectors used for video.  These cables can carry a maximum resolution of 1080i.  In addition to these, you need some type of audio connection.  You can either use 2x RCA cables (Red=right, White=left) for analog audio, or you can use a TosLink optical cable for 2.0 and 5.1 digital audio.

Once you connect up the component cables (unplug the HDMI cable), you will need to go into Menu -> Options -> System Options -> Aspect Ratio and reset the output resolution to 1080i.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

If you cannot get the TV to work with the HDMI interface, the simplest solution is to use the component interface. This uses 3 RCA jack/plugs for video & 2 for audio. Be sure to connect the same jacks on the STB with those on the TV.

Ypu will find thepicture quality to be the same.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

13 years ago

I have had a similar problem, except mine is a 10 minute "warm up" issue. My Vizio appears to have a problem "catching up" with the HDMI when i first turn everything on. There is lots of digital snow and flickering of picture before the tv finally catches up with the box and the pic and sound are solid. I have a second tv hooked up to my U verse box with regular coax (i live alone so i only need one box) and sometimes i get that error. I just usually have to turn my Vizio off first before i turn the regular tv on. When i have the Vizio hooked up with a coax cable i have no issues what so ever. I havent gotten component cables because the HDMI looks so good with the Uverse! I can wait the 10 mins to warm up!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

craigrussell100 -

If you want to keep HDMI you can try a splitter like the one in this link -

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-1-Out-Auto-SwitchCable/dp/B0018DQYQ2/ref=sr_1_3ie=UTF8&qid=1302660018&sr=83

Some people have reported success with this. While this is not seperately powered, it is not totally passive. It seems to work by isolating the TV from the STB. 

If you search for one do not get one that is totaly passive. Also, this one splits one TV connection to multiple devices. You do not want one that splits one device to many TVs..

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

I tried this but when I use the component cables it steps down from 1080 to 480.  When I set the tv input to the component setting and keep the HDMI cable plugged in I get 1080 but still get the error message.  As soon as I unplug the HDMI cable it steps the tv down to 480.  While it's watchable at 480 it defeats the purpose of buying a 1080 tv.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

My problem is just the opposite.  When the tv is first turned on it's perfect, as the tv warms up the errors start and get more frequent the longer the tv is on.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

Have you gone in and set the stb to match the hd setting on your tv? What is the normal hd setting of your tv?  Is it 1080p or i?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

I tried the unplug and hold the power button solution without success.  When i switch to component cables it steps the tv down from 1080 to 480. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

1080i

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.