Need help with your equipment?
jeffers102's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, October 16th, 2012 9:32 PM

Uverse router keeps reporting active ports as inactive

So, basically, I have the default setup at home where the uverse RG 3800 serves as my wired and wireless connections.  One of the wired ports on the RG goes to my NAS.  The problem is that after anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours, the NAS is no longer accessible from the network (from wired or wireless devices).  When I log in to the router, it reports that port as being inactive.  The NAS is on and is not on power saving mode or anything.  Obviously, this makes the NAS unusable.  Some research pointed to cat 5 cables possibly being the culprit, so I upgraded ALL cables to cat 6.  Unfortunately, there is no difference.

At one point, I setup my old linksys gigabit router behind the ATT router (so that I could get N speeds, but that is another post altogether).  I had the same problems with the linksys router port being reported as inactive (thus cascading and resulting in any wired and wireless devices connected to the linksys router to no longer be able to access the internet).

Doing a reboot from the ATT router fixes these issues momentarily (though transfer speeds are less than 1 MB/sec (which is less than desirable on a gigabit network, sigh!).

I have never had these issues before and even confirmed that the NAS doesn't have this problem when connected in an isolated setup with just the linksys router.

Does anyone have any help or experience with this issue?  I am ready to drop my service and switch to Comcast (which I hate!!), which shows how desperate I am 😞

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

It sounds like you might be running into a DHCP lease issue.  The 2WIRE RG doesn't follow the DHCP RPC quite as well as it could.  Your NAS device may not be seeing the renewal response.  Consider moving the NAS device to a static IP outside of the DHCP range of the 2WIRE RG and see if that clears up your issue.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

11 years ago

Call TS and ask the CSR to run a test on your system for errors.  Let them know what you have been experiencing and give the date and time.  If they see errors request a tech be sent out to check your install.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the reply Jeffer, I will try that when I get home tonight.  I did try TS, but they refused to help stating that all ports on their end were showing as active, even though the router said (and acted) differently when I logged into it at the same time.  Hopefully this works, otherwise my days with Uverse are numbered since TS kept blaming my (factory default) setup as the problem.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

This sort of thing is, unfortunately, completely beyond Tier 1.  If they will send you to Tier 2, you may find an individual there who can help you.  Unfortunately, T1 is as like as not to want to send you to paid the ConnecTech support service, who may or may not be able to help you either.

The forums are the best place to go for this sort of help.  Let us know if that suggestion sorts your problem, or if you still have difficulties.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

So far so good!  Thanks JefferMC for the help (now keep your fingers crossed it stays working).

*** Full setup for anyone interested ***

I moved my Cisco (N speed) router and NAS to their own IPs and moved all wireless N devices to one of the two wireless bands on the Cisco, but I left the ATT router wireless on as well (I have a few rarely used G devices).  I'm not sure if this was necessary, but I had issues when I turned it off.  This means that my only changes to factory default settings on the ATT router were assigning fixed IPs to the Cisco router and the NAS.  

The NAS has remained reachable for 12 hours now, which is far and away longer than anything it has done before under Uverse.  Also, read speeds from the NAS have gone up from 800 KB/sec to over 8 MB/sec.  Still not ideal, but hardly annoying.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Excellent.  Let us know how you're doing in a day or so.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Things are still perfect, no degradation in speeds or network drop-offs from any devices.  CASE CLOSED! Smiley Happy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.