U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 18, 2012
1:16:54 PM
View profile
Uverse internet gateway parental controls for 2Wire - i38HG - i3812V system

Does anybody know how to set up internet limits / access control on the 2wire i38HG - i3812V gateway router?

On my old Belkin router, I could limit my kid's IP addresses from accessing the internet between 10pm and 6am.  This included all devices: PC and iTouch.  And with the new 2wire system I can't find this setting in advance configuration. 

I found the manual for the 2Wire i38HG - i3812V on the ATT website. http://www.att.com/support_media/images/pdf/uverse/iNIDv2_UG.pdf
and on page 66 it shows exactly what I need, but my gateway configuration does not have this option.  The screen shot in the manual shows the Uverse and ATT logo, but nobody at ATT tech service knows about this setup or manual.

Is there different firmware out there to activate this menu?

The ATT tech service is not helpful.  They can get me to totally block an IP address, but I just want to set a time limit.
The people at 2Wire said to talk to the people at ATT.:smileymad:

I am stumped! 
Should I do a router behind a router?    Has anyone done this?

I know I am not the only parent out there that wants this.  You would think it would be standard on this new system.

Yes, I know that there are different software programs for PC's that will limit internet usage, but there is nothing for iTouch, iPads, or other tablets.  And yes, I know I can take the items away at night.

Here are my particulars for my gateway:
System Information
Manufacturer    2Wire, Inc.
Model    i3812V
Hardware Version    000705-004
Software Version    6.3.7.37-enh.tm

Wireless Access Point
Model    i38HG
Hardware Version    2700-100679-004
Software Version    6.3.7.37-wifi.tm

Does anybody know how to set up internet limits / access control on the 2wire i38HG - i3812V gateway router?

On my old Belkin router, I could limit my kid's IP addresses from accessing the internet between 10pm and 6am.  This included all devices: PC and iTouch.  And with the new 2wire system I can't find this setting in advance configuration. 

I found the manual for the 2Wire i38HG - i3812V on the ATT website. http://www.att.com/support_media/images/pdf/uverse/iNIDv2_UG.pdf
and on page 66 it shows exactly what I need, but my gateway configuration does not have this option.  The screen shot in the manual shows the Uverse and ATT logo, but nobody at ATT tech service knows about this setup or manual.

Is there different firmware out there to activate this menu?

The ATT tech service is not helpful.  They can get me to totally block an IP address, but I just want to set a time limit.
The people at 2Wire said to talk to the people at ATT.:smileymad:

I am stumped! 
Should I do a router behind a router?    Has anyone done this?

I know I am not the only parent out there that wants this.  You would think it would be standard on this new system.

Yes, I know that there are different software programs for PC's that will limit internet usage, but there is nothing for iTouch, iPads, or other tablets.  And yes, I know I can take the items away at night.

Here are my particulars for my gateway:
System Information
Model    i3812V
Hardware Version    000705-004
Software Version    6.3.7.37-enh.tm

Wireless Access Point
Model    i38HG
Hardware Version    2700-100679-004
Software Version    6.3.7.37-wifi.tm

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 27, 2012 12:48:45 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by SomeJoe7777 on Dec 27, 2012 at 1:04:00 PM

If he is tech-savvy enough to get around the provisions through alternate methods, then the only possible solution is what I outlined above. You need to enforce physical security of the 2Wire and the Cisco router.

Basically what you can do is one of a few things:

1. If the 2Wire router and Cisco router are both in a room that your son doesn't need access to, then simply have a locksmith come put a good lock on the door to that room. You could also do the same thing if the routers are in a closet. Once they're physically secure, change passwords on both routers to something that only you know, and disable wireless on the 2Wire. Now all Internet traffic has to flow through the Cisco, which is subject to your parental controls.

2. If the routers aren't in a location like this, you may want to call AT&T and/or an IT company to come relocate the routers. They will charge you, of course. Relocate them to a closet or room where your son doesn't need to go, then have a locksmith install a lock on the door as in #1 above.

3. It would take some home craftsmanship, but you could build a security box out of wood. Some 2x4"s and 3/4" plywood could make a very sturdy box. Put a door on it with hinges, and drill a hole in it for wires. Put the 2Wire and Cisco routers inside, and then close the door and lock it. The only wires coming in are the VDSL wire and the two power adapters, the only wire going out is the coax for the DVR/STB units (if you have TV service) and/or the telephone wire for phones (if you have VOIP service).

4. You can get a Sentry Fire safe and do the same thing. The Sentry Fire safes are only a sheet metal box that has 2" of fiberglass insulation inside and then a plastic box inside that. It can be drilled through to make a hole for the wires. Just make sure to get one big enough to hold both the 2Wire and the Cisco.

5. This may work for you, maybe not.  http://www.att.net/smartcontrols-InternetParentalControls#none  These are the AT&T parental control features that support enforcing the provisions at the provider level rather than in your home.  The disadvantage is that the software must be installed on each computer you own and works only for those computers.  It won't help with wireless smartphones or borrowed/other computers/laptops.

Some notes on the two box solutions:

A. Heat. The 2Wire unit puts out a fair amount of heat. You might have to see about a fan to ventilate the box to prevent it from overheating. This isn't so bad to do if you build your own box, but might not work well with the Sentry Fire safe.

B. Wireless signal strength. Any box may weaken the wireless signal. If this happens, purchase a wireless access point and put it outside the box, and uplink it to the Cisco so that it's subject to parental controls. Turn the wireless of the Cisco router off if you use this method.

This is all I can think of that enforces your parental controls with U-Verse. A final possibility is:

6. Look for another Internet provider where the parental controls can be enforced at the provider's end. There are some local smaller cable and DSL companies that provide this service, but it's totally dependent on what's available in your area.

Accepted Solution

Uverse internet gateway parental controls for 2Wire - i38HG - i3812V system

23 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2012 2:43:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I followed your link to the page and it said this: 

Note:

The link will not appear on your screen if you have not subscribed to

the service.

Now with that said I wonder how you subscribe to the service?

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

I followed your link to the page and it said this: 

Note:

The link will not appear on your screen if you have not subscribed to

the service.

Now with that said I wonder how you subscribe to the service?

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Uverse internet gateway parental controls for 2Wire - i38HG - i3812V system

2 of 24 (21,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 18, 2012 4:36:21 PM
(0)
Expert
The custom firmware that AT&T uses on the 2Wire gateways only contains a subset of the features that a normal 2Wire router has. The parental control options are not available.

To do parental controls, set up router-behind-router using a router that supports parental controls. Set it up using the directions here:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...
The custom firmware that AT&T uses on the 2Wire gateways only contains a subset of the features that a normal 2Wire router has. The parental control options are not available.

To do parental controls, set up router-behind-router using a router that supports parental controls. Set it up using the directions here:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2707755#M182

3 of 24 (21,103 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2012 6:22:26 PM
(0)
Teacher

Hum,  that's wierd.  I just clicked on the link again and it worked. Sorry

Anyway I found the manual by googling this phrase: 2wire i38hg manual

The link is currently at the top of the search.

Below is a copy and paste from my search.

[PDF] 

iNID User Guide

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
2Wire, Inc. reserves the right to make any modification to this manual or the information contained herein at any time ... Connecting Your Computer to the i38HG .

Hum,  that's wierd.  I just clicked on the link again and it worked. Sorry

Anyway I found the manual by googling this phrase: 2wire i38hg manual

The link is currently at the top of the search.

Below is a copy and paste from my search.

[PDF] 

iNID User Guide

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
2Wire, Inc. reserves the right to make any modification to this manual or the information contained herein at any time ... Connecting Your Computer to the i38HG .

4 of 24 (21,098 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2012 6:40:33 PM
(0)
Teacher

SomeJoe7777, thanks for the info.  If you are able to look at that manual from the link I posted above, it shows that at sometime in the past ATT provided this gateway with firmware that had the access controls that I and others am looking for. 

Within the next couple of days I will try your info on the link you provided to bridge my routers.  I am not a network expert but know enough to fumble through some settings.  I will post the results.

SomeJoe7777, thanks for the info.  If you are able to look at that manual from the link I posted above, it shows that at sometime in the past ATT provided this gateway with firmware that had the access controls that I and others am looking for. 

Within the next couple of days I will try your info on the link you provided to bridge my routers.  I am not a network expert but know enough to fumble through some settings.  I will post the results.

5 of 24 (21,098 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2012 1:42:37 PM
(0)
Teacher

For all of those wondering - the link that SomeJoe7777 posted above works great for adding a router that has IP Filters (Parental Controls to limit access) to a 2Wire i38HG i3812V system. 

Thanks SomeJoe7777!

For all of those wondering - the link that SomeJoe7777 posted above works great for adding a router that has IP Filters (Parental Controls to limit access) to a 2Wire i38HG i3812V system. 

Thanks SomeJoe7777!

6 of 24 (20,959 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2012 7:26:17 AM
(0)
Contributor

I called yesterday to try & do this same thing - funny, the person said I was the only one to want this in 2+ years.  I figured we couldn't be alone in this request. 

So with the router behind the router - wouldn't it be simpler to just get a new router?  Forgive me - I'm not very tech savy with this kind of thing :smileyindifferent:

I called yesterday to try & do this same thing - funny, the person said I was the only one to want this in 2+ years.  I figured we couldn't be alone in this request. 

So with the router behind the router - wouldn't it be simpler to just get a new router?  Forgive me - I'm not very tech savy with this kind of thing :smileyindifferent:

7 of 24 (20,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2012 9:04:19 AM
(0)
Expert
You cannot replace the router that AT&T has provided -- they require it for their service. The only option is to use your own router behind the AT&T router if you want to use a router that has parental controls.
You cannot replace the router that AT&T has provided -- they require it for their service. The only option is to use your own router behind the AT&T router if you want to use a router that has parental controls.

8 of 24 (20,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2012 7:42:18 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by ShaunMN on Jun 4, 2012 at 7:46:35 PM

Once you install the router behind the Gateway (using the DMZ) you can also then use DNS filtering such as OpenDNS.

Good luck!

Buddy

{link removed per guidelines}

Once you install the router behind the Gateway (using the DMZ) you can also then use DNS filtering such as OpenDNS.

Good luck!

Buddy

{link removed per guidelines}

[ Edited ]
9 of 24 (20,565 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2012 9:11:25 AM
(0)
Contributor

This is still not working for me.  Could you elaborate on how you got this to work?

Is there a firmware or software update that I need?

This is still not working for me.  Could you elaborate on how you got this to work?

Is there a firmware or software update that I need?

10 of 24 (20,522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2012 3:10:02 PM
(0)
Teacher

giftedorganist,  Did you ever get it working?  Were you trying to hook separate router to the 2Wire system?

I had problems also with setting up router behind router, but I misread the instructions.  See my message #218 at this link:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...

giftedorganist,  Did you ever get it working?  Were you trying to hook separate router to the 2Wire system?

I had problems also with setting up router behind router, but I misread the instructions.  See my message #218 at this link:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/td-p/2707013/page/8

11 of 24 (20,289 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2012 3:21:31 PM
(0)
Teacher

Just a quick update on Parental Controls.

I recently update to a new Router behind my 2Wire-i38HG Router.  I installed a Linksys E4200.  If you are interest in router Parental Controls, this one works!  I had also bought a Netgear N750 but returned it because the Parental Controls were horrible.  Then I purchased the Linksys E4200.  The parental controls were easy to set.  Especially if you want to set time limits on the internet for PC's, iPhone's, iTouch, iPad's and NintendoDSi.  Just choice the device and set the time when the device can access the internet.  You can also block URL's per device.

I was able to set it up easily behind my 2Wire-i38HG Router.

I still don't know why ATT doesn't offer the Parental Controls that are shown in the 2Wire instruction manual!!!  I guess thier decision makers do not have kids or do not understand kids with technology.

Just a quick update on Parental Controls.

I recently update to a new Router behind my 2Wire-i38HG Router.  I installed a Linksys E4200.  If you are interest in router Parental Controls, this one works!  I had also bought a Netgear N750 but returned it because the Parental Controls were horrible.  Then I purchased the Linksys E4200.  The parental controls were easy to set.  Especially if you want to set time limits on the internet for PC's, iPhone's, iTouch, iPad's and NintendoDSi.  Just choice the device and set the time when the device can access the internet.  You can also block URL's per device.

I was able to set it up easily behind my 2Wire-i38HG Router.

I still don't know why ATT doesn't offer the Parental Controls that are shown in the 2Wire instruction manual!!!  I guess thier decision makers do not have kids or do not understand kids with technology.

12 of 24 (20,288 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2012 5:06:37 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by SomeJoe7777 on Jun 30, 2012 at 5:07:07 PM

jackt123 wrote:

Probably because they don't want to support it, train their staff on how it works, etc.

Plus, if they did, then what would happen would be that someone's child will see something on the Internet that the parents didn't want them to see (because the blocking technology isn't 100%), and the parents will blame AT&T and cause problems.

Glad you found a solution that works for you, though.

jackt123 wrote:

Probably because they don't want to support it, train their staff on how it works, etc.

Plus, if they did, then what would happen would be that someone's child will see something on the Internet that the parents didn't want them to see (because the blocking technology isn't 100%), and the parents will blame AT&T and cause problems.

Glad you found a solution that works for you, though.

[ Edited ]
13 of 24 (20,261 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2012 11:03:52 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi Joe,

I have U-verse 2WIRE 3800HGV-B  AT&T router gateway. I try for good parental control for internet access. Your router-behind-router method is good for our second router's parental control functions. How about the first router (AT&T 2WIRE) internet aceess because the kids can use the LAN ports on the first (bridge) router to directly acees the internet with an ethernet cable, just bypass the second router ?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Hi Joe,

I have U-verse 2WIRE 3800HGV-B  AT&T router gateway. I try for good parental control for internet access. Your router-behind-router method is good for our second router's parental control functions. How about the first router (AT&T 2WIRE) internet aceess because the kids can use the LAN ports on the first (bridge) router to directly acees the internet with an ethernet cable, just bypass the second router ?

Thank you for your thoughts.

14 of 24 (20,086 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2012 12:35:55 PM
(0)
Expert

SomeZ wrote:

It is a given that if someone has physical access to equipment, they can usually bypass any security controls that are present.  If they have physical access to your router, they can simply reset it with the reset button on the back and then have free access to anything.

If your kids are this advanced, the only solution is to physically secure the routers and network hardware in a locked cabinet, closet, etc.

SomeZ wrote:

It is a given that if someone has physical access to equipment, they can usually bypass any security controls that are present.  If they have physical access to your router, they can simply reset it with the reset button on the back and then have free access to anything.

If your kids are this advanced, the only solution is to physically secure the routers and network hardware in a locked cabinet, closet, etc.

15 of 24 (20,080 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2012 7:40:46 AM
(0)
Tutor

I was recently told by an AT&T service tech that AT&T doesn't support configurations involving third party routers, which is what I had when he arrived for a service call.  I had set up a linksys router/WAP to provide additional wireless device capacity in my home.  The tech did, though, indicate that a simple router or hub was OK, so I may still be able to implement your suggestion if I turn off the WAP features of the linksys.

Like the original poster, I'm frustrated that AT&T doesn't provide native parental control support at the gateway.  End user-based solutions are a pain to manage, and in some cases easy to circumvent, even in a home network! :smileymad:

I was recently told by an AT&T service tech that AT&T doesn't support configurations involving third party routers, which is what I had when he arrived for a service call.  I had set up a linksys router/WAP to provide additional wireless device capacity in my home.  The tech did, though, indicate that a simple router or hub was OK, so I may still be able to implement your suggestion if I turn off the WAP features of the linksys.

Like the original poster, I'm frustrated that AT&T doesn't provide native parental control support at the gateway.  End user-based solutions are a pain to manage, and in some cases easy to circumvent, even in a home network! :smileymad:

16 of 24 (19,554 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2012 3:00:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

Has anyone solved the parental control issue?

I have installed a Cisco router behind 2wire router which allow me to give access based on time of day. But my smart 16 year old son found a way around it. All he had to do was to reset the 2wire router passwd ( default passwd is edged on the box) and get himself access to 2wire.

My response was to turn off the wifi on 2wire router. He figured it out as well. I changed the IP address on 2wire router but he found the new IP address by connecting to the router by wire and did a  ipconfig on his laptop.

I called Uverse support and asked them to send me a modem only box. I told them I do not want a router but they said they do not have such a box.

I have ran out of solutions. I am left with taking the 2Wire router every night before I go to bed or changing the provider. I do not like any of these solutions.

any idea?

Has anyone solved the parental control issue?

I have installed a Cisco router behind 2wire router which allow me to give access based on time of day. But my smart 16 year old son found a way around it. All he had to do was to reset the 2wire router passwd ( default passwd is edged on the box) and get himself access to 2wire.

My response was to turn off the wifi on 2wire router. He figured it out as well. I changed the IP address on 2wire router but he found the new IP address by connecting to the router by wire and did a  ipconfig on his laptop.

I called Uverse support and asked them to send me a modem only box. I told them I do not want a router but they said they do not have such a box.

I have ran out of solutions. I am left with taking the 2Wire router every night before I go to bed or changing the provider. I do not like any of these solutions.

any idea?

17 of 24 (17,907 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 21, 2012 4:18:17 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by SomeJoe7777 on Dec 21, 2012 at 4:22:09 PM

Well, parental controls on routers and other Internet devices can always be bypassed or worked-around if someone has physical access to the hardware.  To fully enforce the parental controls, you will have to place the 2Wire and your Cisco router in a physically locked closet, access area, or cabinet/enclosure.

I do not feel very comfortable giving out parental advice, but given that your son has willfully circimvented the access controls on three separate occasions, it is perhaps time to enforce the provisions via methods that are directed at your son and not at the routers.

Well, parental controls on routers and other Internet devices can always be bypassed or worked-around if someone has physical access to the hardware.  To fully enforce the parental controls, you will have to place the 2Wire and your Cisco router in a physically locked closet, access area, or cabinet/enclosure.

I do not feel very comfortable giving out parental advice, but given that your son has willfully circimvented the access controls on three separate occasions, it is perhaps time to enforce the provisions via methods that are directed at your son and not at the routers.

[ Edited ]
18 of 24 (17,897 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2012 11:52:50 AM
(0)
Contributor
My son was punished for his actions but punishment is only a short term solution. I cannot disconnect his Internet access. I need to limit it and I still do not have a good solution.
My son was punished for his actions but punishment is only a short term solution. I cannot disconnect his Internet access. I need to limit it and I still do not have a good solution.

19 of 24 (17,659 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 27, 2012 12:48:45 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by SomeJoe7777 on Dec 27, 2012 at 1:04:00 PM

If he is tech-savvy enough to get around the provisions through alternate methods, then the only possible solution is what I outlined above. You need to enforce physical security of the 2Wire and the Cisco router.

1. If the 2Wire router and Cisco router are both in a room that your son doesn't need access to, then simply have a locksmith come put a good lock on the door to that room. You could also do the same thing if the routers are in a closet. Once they're physically secure, change passwords on both routers to something that only you know, and disable wireless on the 2Wire. Now all Internet traffic has to flow through the Cisco, which is subject to your parental controls.

2. If the routers aren't in a location like this, you may want to call AT&T and/or an IT company to come relocate the routers. They will charge you, of course. Relocate them to a closet or room where your son doesn't need to go, then have a locksmith install a lock on the door as in #1 above.

3. It would take some home craftsmanship, but you could build a security box out of wood. Some 2x4"s and 3/4" plywood could make a very sturdy box. Put a door on it with hinges, and drill a hole in it for wires. Put the 2Wire and Cisco routers inside, and then close the door and lock it. The only wires coming in are the VDSL wire and the two power adapters, the only wire going out is the coax for the DVR/STB units (if you have TV service) and/or the telephone wire for phones (if you have VOIP service).

4. You can get a Sentry Fire safe and do the same thing. The Sentry Fire safes are only a sheet metal box that has 2" of fiberglass insulation inside and then a plastic box inside that. It can be drilled through to make a hole for the wires. Just make sure to get one big enough to hold both the 2Wire and the Cisco.

5. This may work for you, maybe not.  http://www.att.net/smartcontrols-InternetParentalControls#none  These are the AT&T parental control features that support enforcing the provisions at the provider level rather than in your home.  The disadvantage is that the software must be installed on each computer you own and works only for those computers.  It won't help with wireless smartphones or borrowed/other computers/laptops.

A. Heat. The 2Wire unit puts out a fair amount of heat. You might have to see about a fan to ventilate the box to prevent it from overheating. This isn't so bad to do if you build your own box, but might not work well with the Sentry Fire safe.

B. Wireless signal strength. Any box may weaken the wireless signal. If this happens, purchase a wireless access point and put it outside the box, and uplink it to the Cisco so that it's subject to parental controls. Turn the wireless of the Cisco router off if you use this method.

This is all I can think of that enforces your parental controls with U-Verse. A final possibility is:

6. Look for another Internet provider where the parental controls can be enforced at the provider's end. There are some local smaller cable and DSL companies that provide this service, but it's totally dependent on what's available in your area.

[ Edited ]
20 of 24 (17,650 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2013 8:03:51 AM
(0)
Voyager

AT&T should be ashamed of themselves. I have the same issue, went through the same steps with the same result - after 45 minutes and being passed from one agent to the next; Tech Support was clueless. The finally passed me to AT&T Connect who offered to help me after I pay a one time charge of $49, or sign up for a monthly $15 for ongoing support. Afterwhich I thanked the Rep who I knew would be clueless as well after a few minutes of discussing my issue with her, and hung up. So, as you, I now must reach out the "community" (i.e. AT&T Customers, who are left fending for themselves since. BTW, you have to have the patienc e of a saint to weed through all of AT&Ts FAQ "bloatwear" on the subject. I tried, and ended up with nothing to show for my efforts. A total waste of time.

AT&T should be ashamed of themselves. I have the same issue, went through the same steps with the same result - after 45 minutes and being passed from one agent to the next; Tech Support was clueless. The finally passed me to AT&T Connect who offered to help me after I pay a one time charge of $49, or sign up for a monthly $15 for ongoing support. Afterwhich I thanked the Rep who I knew would be clueless as well after a few minutes of discussing my issue with her, and hung up. So, as you, I now must reach out the "community" (i.e. AT&T Customers, who are left fending for themselves since. BTW, you have to have the patienc e of a saint to weed through all of AT&Ts FAQ "bloatwear" on the subject. I tried, and ended up with nothing to show for my efforts. A total waste of time.

21 of 24 (14,146 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2013 8:38:19 AM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by Taylarie on May 20, 2013 at 8:44:24 AM

I found this hardware solution on the internet: {commercial link removed}

I found this hardware solution on the internet: {commercial link removed}

[ Edited ]
22 of 24 (14,133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2013 9:54:05 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am not that internet savy, but I realize that the uverse router is not allowing me to setup parental controls.

I would like to find out the easiest way to do it.

Do you think AT&T will give me a different router for uverse?

Or should I buy one from frys electronics and connect it to the current uverse router?

I am afraid of messing up the whole thing and not having internet access at all.

PLEASE HELLLLLLP!

I am not that internet savy, but I realize that the uverse router is not allowing me to setup parental controls.

Or should I buy one from frys electronics and connect it to the current uverse router?

I am afraid of messing up the whole thing and not having internet access at all.

PLEASE HELLLLLLP!

UVERSE PARENTAL CONTROLS

23 of 24 (11,270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 8:38:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

xeeebra wrote:

PLEASE HELLLLLLP!

The U-verse RG firmware does not have parental controls built in to it.  If you wish to have parental controls on your Internet access, then you'll need to either (1) install software on each PC, or (2) acquire your own router that has the parental controls you seek and install it behind the RG using the instructions from post 2 in this thread.

xeeebra wrote:

PLEASE HELLLLLLP!

The U-verse RG firmware does not have parental controls built in to it.  If you wish to have parental controls on your Internet access, then you'll need to either (1) install software on each PC, or (2) acquire your own router that has the parental controls you seek and install it behind the RG using the instructions from post 2 in this thread.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: UVERSE PARENTAL CONTROLS

24 of 24 (11,149 Views)