For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
shep5820's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, June 13th, 2016 2:29 PM

Uverse in My Area! 70% of the people want it!

I was told that we would have Uverse in our area the end of May 2016.  We only have one option for fast interent speeds and 2 options for TV.  Our subdivision  has 2 parts with about 50-60 houses in each part.  I am so tired of Comcast and their high prices. I currently pay $240.00 for Internet, Home Security, and TV. The refuse to adjust the pricing unless i sign a contract and I have been waiting on Uverse.  I have lived in the subdivision for over 8 years and Uverse has never been in our subdivision. Can someone assist in giving me some time lines as to when it will be available? Also what are the steps to get it in our subdivision.  I live off [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.], GA 30294.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@shep5820   Not so sure who gave you the 2016 date did not know anything really.

ATT has provided only 40-45% of ATT users w/UverseTV and internet (45-3M) on VDSL2, 30-35% users w/ ADSL2+ internet (18M-768K) for those beyond VDSL2 range and 20-25% of users will get no DSL of any kind.

ATT has plans to shut down the old ADSL system, already started this year.

ATT is using ATT wireless 4G LTE to provide internet services for those w/no wireline service available.

http://www.att.com/cellphones/att/wireless-home-phone-and-internet.html#sku=sku7130587

DirecTV is in the mix now too as part of ATT.

Wireline expansion is pretty much kaput. Only thing being installed is Gigapower, on new fiber optic cable, in very select neighborhoods already getting Uverse wireline service and in MDUs systemwide. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

@mibrnsurg seems to reply to anyone and everyone asking or compaining about Uverse and/or DSL with these same statistics which may or may not be true. It's really anyone's guess.

To truly answer your question @shep5820, AT&T is not going ot expand Uverse to your subdivision or anyone else's any time in the near future. I live in a subdivision where 1/3 of the homes have gigafiber and the other 2/3 have horrible DSL. Gigafiber is as close as across the street from my house, but the answer I get from AT&T about expansion is "Uverse is not available in your area and DSL speeds are already maxed out. We currently have no plans to expand Uverse to your area." Apparently "my area" includes only my yard and not across the street.

Honestly, you should be happy you at least have options. We only have AT&T and no cable TV options, so currently our TV options are Directv or Dish, and internet options are super slow DSL, Satellite, or Sprint Hotspot (which amazingly is by far the most reliable of the three). I'm fairly confident AT&T has no current intention on expanding fiber and is focusing completely on 5g cell coverage. This will be great for those in range, but for most suburban homes, especially around Atlanta which is where I believe you are and I am, this is no help at all. People with fast internet connections will just get faster and those with DSL will remain in broadband limbo. Perhaps when the definition of broadband is 1Gbps, AT&T will provide most homes with more than 3Mbps, but I'm not holding my breath.

At any rate, good luck trying to get AT&T to expand, but I've been down this road with them for so long I've completely lost any hope.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

8 years ago

@cmullins232 wrote:
@mibrnsurg seems to reply to anyone and everyone asking or compaining about Uverse and/or DSL with these same statistics which may or may not be true. It's really anyone's guess.

Do you think @mibrnsurg is making this up?

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

@skeeterintexas I don't know if he's making these statistics up or not. Frankly, it doesn't make much of a difference. The point is, someone is irritated with the fact that AT&T stopped expanding fiber cable, in some cases arbitrarily in the middle of neighborhoods, and is wanting to know if/when they are going to expand again. Telling someone that 20-25% of people with AT&T service don't get internet service doesn't really help. It's like saying, "bummer for you, but look on the bright side, you could be one of these suckers." And saying that gigafiber is being installed in very select neighborhoods is also misleading, as stated before, entire neighborhoods are not getting covered. I'd suggest changing that to "select residences." 

@mibrnsurg I meant no offense, and I understand this response at least gives people some assurances that there are others in the same boat, but people want answers as to whether AT&T will ever upgrade (as in replace with fiber) the aging DSL lines. I think the short answer is no but I could be wrong.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@cmullins232   The statistics come from ATT of percentages of each service and expecially of how many will have no DSL at all.  ATT is working w/WLL, wireless local loop for replacement of POTS and ADSL, testing going on now.

Have to wonder if it was a Bell South location, they put their fiber in a big loop daisy chain that ATT could not use.  They have to spend $$$ to separate everything and put in new equipment.  The down side is they get Uverse FTTP service, not Gigapower, many times. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

DO you know the timeframe I will have to wait?

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

@mibrnsurg Thank you for the insight.

My house was built in 2009, and subdivision was built in 2007, which is after AT&T swallowed Bell South, but still may have been using Bell South as the installer??? I don't really know how that merger worked out. The subdivision expanded two years ago, but not all in one place. We had empty lots, including one across the street from me, scattered in the subdivsion where new homes were built. Most, but not all, of these new homes had fiber run to them and subsequently got Uverse and now have gigapower. It would make sense if the remainder of the subdivision is stuck in this daisy chain loop situation you describe; however, a handful of the existing homes (not newly built) that were between the new homes were lucky enough to get fiber.

I completely understand if there is a technical or engineering reason for not having Uverse service. The biggest problem is AT&T not disclosing the issues to customers and not being transparent about it. It also doesn't help that the marketing department isn't aware of who can have Uverse and who can't, as many of my neighbors regularly get Uverse flyers only to find out they aren't eligible when they call. That just adds to the frustration.

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

You shouldn't want it.  It is the worst thing that ever happened in this area and no one who has it is happy with it.

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

That's because ATT customer service is there to deflect problems and not really to resolve any issues.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@BayouWoman wrote:

That's because ATT customer service is there to deflect problems and not really to resolve any issues.

@Anonymous   I don't know about that, I've had almost 8 great years of Uverse TV/Internet, but will add I'm 400' from the VRAD.  That does make a difference, I have very few tech problems and billing has been perfect for those almost 8 years too.

We use ATT Customer Care and Uverse Care here for CS and TS problems.  Have had to use Fillipino TS help, nites and weekends and they are professional. 😉

Chris

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.