moskiter's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 6:02 AM

Using a fax machine

Hello,

I am a u-verse customer but all I have is an internet connection (via wireless modem) and no phone line activated. I've recently purchased an all-in-one device which also includes a fax machine (HP LaserJet Pro M1217nfw).

Is there any special "fax service" to purchase or do I activate a regular phone line and use it as a "fax line"?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

13 years ago

@moskiter wrote:

Hello,

I am a u-verse customer but all I have is an internet connection (via wireless modem) and no phone line activated. I've recently purchased an all-in-one device which also includes a fax machine (HP LaserJet Pro M1217nfw).

Is there any special "fax service" to purchase or do I activate a regular phone line and use it as a "fax line"?

To make your fax machine work it will be necessary to connect it to a phone line. If you don't have phone service now I would recommend you getting POTS as opposed to the Uverse VOIP. Faxing over VOIP has been problematic for some and there are also some fax machines that are just not compatible with VOIP systems.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you. That's what I needed.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

13 years ago

YW!    :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Got another question.. If I have the phone and the modem, I've noticed the digital phone service is connected directly to the ATT router.  I have gotten a basic splitter and tried having the fax connected at the wall outlet where UVerse is coming into house, but no dial tone.  I've connected fax directly to router, no dial tone.  Suggestions?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@Skisheri- The signal that comes into the house is a broadband signal, not dial tone. Dial tone comes into the house at the Tel 1/2 jack on the modem.

You can plug the splitter into the tel 1/2 jack as long as it is is a two set splitter & not a two line splitter.

There is another mystery with FAx machines. Some machines say to use only the wire provided with the machine. Sometimes, only that wire works, sometimes it does not & a "regular" wire does.

Does your FAX machine have a built in splitter. You could use that to connect a tel set.

If you connect to house wiring, it would not be the broadband jack & other jacks must be properly wired & not connected to an outside line.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.