Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 17, 2013
9:52:29 PM
View profile
UVerse webserver policy
Edited by schnappi on Nov 17, 2013 at 9:53:32 PM

What is the UVerse policy regarding webservers (allowed, not allowed, allowed until traffic becomes noticeable, ect.)?

Granted UVerser upstream will keep traffic down on any site but still interested in the answer nonetheless.

What is the UVerse policy regarding webservers (allowed, not allowed, allowed until traffic becomes noticeable, ect.)?

Granted UVerser upstream will keep traffic down on any site but still interested in the answer nonetheless.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 18, 2013 6:59:19 AM
(0)
Expert

my thoughts wrote:

If looking at webserver, then you must be looking for Business Account

No, that's not what the TOS says.

The TOS says that residential service must be non-commercial.  It doesn't say you can't run a web server.

If the web server is a lightly-used server for personal purposes that isn't selling anything, then it meets the TOS for residential service.

I run a web server at my house (for non-commercial purposes, no sales) on a residential account and I've never had any issue.

Accepted Solution

UVerse webserver policy

[ Edited ]
7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2013 10:07:43 PM
(0)
Employee
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: UVerse webserver policy

2 of 8 (2,382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2013 11:15:29 PM
(0)
Mentor

I appreciate the link but would have preferred a more "friendly" answer.

I appreciate the link but would have preferred a more "friendly" answer.

3 of 8 (2,374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2013 5:25:12 AM
(0)
Employee
If looking at webserver, then you must be looking for Business Account as residential account is

2. ACCEPTABLE USE AND PRIVACY POLICIES

Use of the Services is subject to the AT&T Acceptable Use Policy (available at http://www.corp.att.com/aup/), which is incorporated herein by reference. Once you have purchased the Services you will have an account with AT&T ("AT&T Account"). Your AT&T Account will include information applicable to the Services including but not limited to billing information and charges related to the Services (whether recurring or one-time). If you have, or later obtain, an AT&T Access ID, you are subject to the AT&T Access ID Terms and Conditions (available at http://www.att.com/accessidterms), which are incorporated herein by reference. The AT&T Privacy Policy, which is incorporated herein by reference and is available online at http://www.att.com/privacy, addresses AT&T's use of account information and other information specific to your use of AT&T U-verse Services.

AT&T U-verse Services are provided for your non-commercial personal use only, and for your enjoyment in a single private residential dwelling unit. You agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, transfer, trade, resell or exploit for any commercial purposes any portion of the Services, use of the Services, or access to the Services. Further, you agree that the AT&T U-verse TV service will not be viewed in areas open to the public or in commercial establishments and that your AT&T U-verse TV service may not be rebroadcast, nor performed, nor may admission be charged for listening to or viewing AT&T U-verse TV service.

Too many posts where someone was misinformed and later claimed lied or misrepresent information.
Best find it writing that you know and can refer to. As stated for residential Uverse services...

"AT&T U-verse Services are provided for your non-commercial personal use only, and for your enjoyment in a single private residential dwelling unit."

In your opinion does a web server meet or does it exceed residential usage....if exceeding then need business class.
If looking at webserver, then you must be looking for Business Account as residential account is

2. ACCEPTABLE USE AND PRIVACY POLICIES

Use of the Services is subject to the AT&T Acceptable Use Policy (available at http://www.corp.att.com/aup/), which is incorporated herein by reference. Once you have purchased the Services you will have an account with AT&T ("AT&T Account"). Your AT&T Account will include information applicable to the Services including but not limited to billing information and charges related to the Services (whether recurring or one-time). If you have, or later obtain, an AT&T Access ID, you are subject to the AT&T Access ID Terms and Conditions (available at http://www.att.com/accessidterms), which are incorporated herein by reference. The AT&T Privacy Policy, which is incorporated herein by reference and is available online at http://www.att.com/privacy, addresses AT&T's use of account information and other information specific to your use of AT&T U-verse Services.

AT&T U-verse Services are provided for your non-commercial personal use only, and for your enjoyment in a single private residential dwelling unit. You agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, transfer, trade, resell or exploit for any commercial purposes any portion of the Services, use of the Services, or access to the Services. Further, you agree that the AT&T U-verse TV service will not be viewed in areas open to the public or in commercial establishments and that your AT&T U-verse TV service may not be rebroadcast, nor performed, nor may admission be charged for listening to or viewing AT&T U-verse TV service.

Too many posts where someone was misinformed and later claimed lied or misrepresent information.
Best find it writing that you know and can refer to. As stated for residential Uverse services...

"AT&T U-verse Services are provided for your non-commercial personal use only, and for your enjoyment in a single private residential dwelling unit."

In your opinion does a web server meet or does it exceed residential usage....if exceeding then need business class.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 8 (2,358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 18, 2013 6:59:19 AM
(0)
Expert

my thoughts wrote:

The TOS says that residential service must be non-commercial.  It doesn't say you can't run a web server.

If the web server is a lightly-used server for personal purposes that isn't selling anything, then it meets the TOS for residential service.

I run a web server at my house (for non-commercial purposes, no sales) on a residential account and I've never had any issue.

my thoughts wrote:

5 of 8 (2,350 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2013 1:20:53 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by my thoughts on Nov 19, 2013 at 1:27:08 AM

Thanks Somejoe7777, I recognize that someone could do as your doing, no issues.
I have no idea what the OPs intend is and not going to blindly state you can run a webserver for any purpose but chose to simple post TOS for individual interpretation.

properly stated should have been does YOUR webserver meet or exceed

instead of "does A webserver meet or exceed

Thanks again, 

I have no idea what the OPs intend is and not going to blindly state you can run a webserver for any purpose but chose to simple post TOS for individual interpretation.

Thanks again, 

[ Edited ]
6 of 8 (2,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2013 6:53:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

my thoughts wrote:

Thanks again, 

You did make a blanket statement "you must be looking for a commercial account" without qualifying it, and that's what SomeJoe7777 was challenging.  Lots of reasons to have a non-commercial web presence, and since personal web sites aren't available anymore, more may be looking at it.

my thoughts wrote:

Thanks again, 

You did make a blanket statement "you must be looking for a commercial account" without qualifying it, and that's what SomeJoe7777 was challenging.  Lots of reasons to have a non-commercial web presence, and since personal web sites aren't available anymore, more may be looking at it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 8 (2,304 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2013 12:29:17 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm trying to set up a webserver behind my att uverse router and even though I've opened up a hole in the firewall for port 80 the connections time out.  Is there anything else I need to do?

I'm trying to set up a webserver behind my att uverse router and even though I've opened up a hole in the firewall for port 80 the connections time out.  Is there anything else I need to do?

8 of 8 (2,285 Views)