Need help with your equipment?
hgschmie's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Tuesday, June 25th, 2013 2:58 PM

UVerse and IPv6 Tunneling with 3800 HGV-B

Hi,

I ran an IPv6 tunnel from Hurricane Electric (he.net) for a while with my U-verse account and a 3800 HGV-B. The latest software upgrade (6.9.1.42-plus.tm) seem to block IP protocol 41, and I no longer see traffic from he.net coming into the gateway (and no encapsulated IPv6 packets going out). 

Is there a way to turn off that block? Or get a software version that does not block protocol 41?

Thanks,

Henning

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

You had no IPv6, but you had proper code that wouldn't impact 6in4 (RFC 4213, Standards Track) traffic. The firmware, however, still sees the 6in4 traffic, seems to think it's 6rd, realizes it's disabled, and then drops the traffic, rather than behaving as it did previously, and passing it through. Before 6.9.x everything was fine.

I'll say there are many, many more tunnels in U-verse space affected (or that will be) than are being represented in this thread.

Mentor

• 

57 Messages

10 years ago

Nearly every U-verse problem comes from our inability to either put that brain-dead RG into bridge mode or replace it with a real router that doesn't block tunnels and other traffic we want, even with an extra static IP address block.

And then there's AT&T's refusal to sell me all of the bandwidth of my VDSL2 link. It runs at 5.04 up and 32.2 down, but they won't sell me more than 3 up and 24 down. (I understand the link is shared with TV, and I'm willing to accept that.)

Time Warner just installed a cable modem that gives me 5 up and 50 down -- and it's a simple bridged connection, no unwanted router or firewall. OTOH they sell static IPs only to business class customers at far greater cost. Sigh.

You'd think that after investing all that money in their FTTN network AT&T would be interested in actually selling competitive services, not shooting themselves in the foot.

Mentor

• 

57 Messages

10 years ago

I see that "Power" 45 Mb/s service is now available in my area. Given that I want faster service, and given the other comments here that the new RG (Motorola NVG589) will not block IPv6, I ordered an upgrade to see what will happen. Thanks for everyone's comments.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

I finally got hit today.  6.9 is on the box and my 6IN4 tunnel to HE.NET is down.  This just plain sucks.  So what's the deal with getting the NVG589?  A call and steady complaints?  Or do I actually have to upgrade (although I'm sure I can - currently running on bonded pair).

Anyone know if HE is offering their tunnel services in an IPSec tunnel?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@m00dawg wrote:

As a heads up, the accepted solution only works for installations that are capable of bonded pairs. According to the tech that was supposed to come out yesterday and swap out my 3800 for a Motorola, there is some nonsense corporate mandate that only Motorola modems can only be used for bonded installs.

The 3800's were designed to work with an ONT or VDSL (including Coax or Cat5).  It's not clear to me whether or not the Motorola NVG 589 can connect to an ONT.  I know that they dropped the Coax input on it.  It is designed to handle bonded pair installations without having to have an iNID.

FWIW, I agree with all the posters here that it stinks that they don't have a better answer to solve the problem they created with the ill-advised firmware update.  You can take my opinion and a dollar and find a small cup of coffee somewhere.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Putting my disgruntled voice on this thread as well.  Would like to see an update that fixes this.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

10 years ago

To add, the installation tech never got back with me about any alternative options like he said he would. So back to square one.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

This is neither a viable solution nor workaround. My AT&T U-Verse is delivered via Fibre-to-the-Home (FTTH) - aka "Lightspeed".

This delivery model doesn't work with the Motorola Gateway as it does not have an Ethernet port as an uplink. The 2Wire does. And this port is used to plug into the optical termination point via Ethernet.  

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Everyone who is affected by this should file a complaint with the FCC (http://www.fcc.gov/complaints). 
In the end AT&T is clearly violation rule ii. of FCC's "Preserving the Open Internet" rules: http://www.fcc.gov/rulemaking/09-191

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the FCC Rules and Compliant info. My compliant has been filed - reference number 13-C00537210.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.