For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
dj76's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, June 17th, 2010 11:39 PM

UPnP

Does anyone know how to enable UPnP on the 2Wire router/gateway?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

I haven't seen any reports of anyone getting a Chromecast to work without using UPnP.  (Someone may have, but I haven't seen it yet and quite a few seem to think it's the only way to get it to work.).

Given this, and the fact that the NV 5031 doesn't itself support UPnP,  I'd have to advise you to get your own wireless router and connect it behind the RG (see see post 2 in this thread, or search for 5031 and ROUTER in these forums).

Or return the Chromecast.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the link to SomeJoe's post, but it is still too technical and confusing for me, especially when the word router is used generically and I don't know which of the two devices is being referred to....but I don't expect you to waste more time explaining it....I will have to try it when I get the courage!!

I have the Cisco Linksys E1000 with me....can I use that for this purpose along with the 5031NV??

Also, where will I plug in the main DSL/Broadband cable coming in to the house? It will be to the Linksys E1000, right, not the 5031NV as it is right now??

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

All,

Just wanted to update that I went ahead and bought a second Chromecast and it worked without a hitch...so, maybe, just maybe others could be stuck with a bad device as well but would never suspect it.

I made no changes, no UPnP settings, nothing to the 5031NV router, and did not connect any other router behind or in front of it....it got set up in less than 5 minutes.

Now just wondering what to do with the defective Chromecast which is beyond the return timeline with Amazon!!

Regards...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Just to clarify for any future readers, the main DSL/Broadband cable coming into the house must always go directly to the Uverse Residential Gateway(RG), in this case your 5031 NV.

You can never connect any 3rd party router or non-Uverse modem in front of your Uverse RG or your service will no longer work.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I am not the savey one on the routers- I am a mom with 2 boys with new Xbox one consoles because of the remote area we are in (countryside) we have just now gotten uverse offed but right now I have DSL high speed - Netgear router. I went through a week with a At&t trying to get ports open had to pay for one of them to get the NAT to open I have one that only stayed opened for a week now back to strict.  I am concerned about Uverse and having a router that won't allow online chat, can anyone give me some advise or review on this issue should I go to Uverse will I be able to get both xbox ones NAT to open with open ports or will it not work I think I am going to have to buy a stronger router either way between having multi sytems and internet.  Any advise much appreciated and suggestions on routers that are UPnP supported with Uverse.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

For two consoles behind the same NATting router to work, that router must provide UPnP support.  None of the AT&T Gateway routers (neither DSL or U-verse) support UPnP.

To do what you want, either with DSL or U-verse, you must purchase your own router with UPnP support and install it between the AT&T provided gateway.and your XBOXen.

Alternately, you could purchase a block of public static addresses from AT&T each month and assign each of your XBOXen its own public address.

Nearly all consumer routers will have UPnP support.  I personally recommend ASUS routers.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

UPnP is a protocol that allows anything specified to pass through so that makes the network less secure.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.