rathbone1's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Saturday, July 30th, 2011 3:31 PM

U-Verse TV keeps freezing

I have had  U-verse TV and Internet for several years throughout which I've had problems with the TV picture freezing and then losing connection. When this happens, my Internet goes out as well. I've rebooted the system and it works for a while. Techs have been out numerous times and temporarily fixed the problem only to have it re-occur later on down the road. This is extremely frustrating and I'm considering going back to my old cable company and using ATT DSL for my Internet. In those days, I had no such problems.

I've had the router and DVR replaced twice. My DVR sits on top of my DVD/VCR combo player. My computer is in a room other than my TV but nearby. The latest malfunction was last night. This morning it seems to be working....for now... but the thought of a shutdown always looms. My next door neighbor has Uverse and doesn't experience these problems.

Any suggestions?

[subject edited as new topic was created] -moderator

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Well, there definitely appears to be some sort of line problem, the error table shows a gigantic number of errors that have occurred on your line.  That's not normal.  However, all of the errors are from more than 24 hours ago, which means that they're occurring only intermittently and in bursts.  This points to some sort of interference issue.

You should contact tier 2 and have them send a senior tech that can look for and eliminate these sources of interference. Possible sources include:

* Power line interference, such as:
* Fluorescent light ballasts
* High-intensity gas discharge lights like mercury vapor
* Grounding problems, such as improper ground at the NID, the pedestal, etc.
* Electrical system grounding problems, such as improper ground on the RG's outlet, the breaker panel, etc.
* HAM radio broadcasts in the HF band
* AM radio transmissions, such as a nearby radio station

Try to isolate any potential source of these problems and see if you can find one that eliminates the interference.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you so much for your time and help. I just sent an email to uversecare@att.com with a copy of your last response suggesting I ask that a senior tech contact me for a home visit to resolve the problem.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Cool, glad everything's working!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

My problem is similar.  I haven't had U-verse very long.  Now I have two channels where the picture freezes after about 15 seconds.  I can change channels, go back to it, and the picture is fine again... until it freezes up again after another 15 seconds.  This only happens on two of my channels, INSP and TVLAND.  If I leave it on the frozen channel long enough I get the blue screen telling me the signal has been lost. 

I spoke with tech support and went through all the steps cited on the blue screen.  Tech support finally decided my receiver must be bad so they sent me a new one.  Got the new receiver installed and the problem persists.  The tech support people I've spoken with make it sound like they'll charge me extra $$$ to come out to my condo to fix the problem.  Personally, I don't think that's right; it's not good customer service in my book, particularly since I haven't been with AT&T very long (and Time Warner is already "courting" my business again).

I think the problem is either a bad cable or something outside isn't connected as well as it should be.  It's just plain weird that only two channels are affected.

I should point out that I have wireless as well, and I don't seem to have any problems with that working as it should.  I plan on calling tech support AGAIN tomorrow.  If they don't come out here and fix the problem I will be registering a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Here are our screen shots. We get repeated freezes when watching most dvr'd programs...

Thanks in advance for any help!Stats-2013-08-10-17-47-44.pngErrorTable-2013-08-10-17-48-03.pngBitloading-2013-08-10-17-48-17.pngCoaxHPNA-2013-08-10-17-48-27.png

4 Attachments

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I've had U-Verse 3-6 months.  No those aren't the main channels I watch, but they happen to be my sister's favorites.  Now ION and CLOO are doing it, although not as often as TVLAND and INSP.  INSP does it all the time.  I have two TVs.  Can't reach the box on the one in my bedroom (it's near my ceiling, mounted on top of my TV)  The issue happens on both TVs.  Went through the whole phone-in test sequence with tech support.  Tried having a new box installed on main TV in den (but didn't try replacing the one in bedroom... like I said... can't reach it, and frankly... I'm too old to try)  Honestly?  For what I'm paying each month, it should work...period.  And since I'm not able to watch several channels that I'm paying for I think the problem should be fixed for free because I haven't been refunded a penny.  Never had this issue with Time Warner.  It seems to me if you keep losing the signal, then the problem is outside, not inside.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Hello. I have been a U-Verse costumer for about 2-3 months. Well, last month, this problem started happening with one of my wireless receivers. This is also the time that I asked AT&T to lower the bill ($300+ for all 3 services per month is too much for us). After this, one of the receivers started acted up and disconnecting every 5-60 minutes. I have tried everything possible to get this fixed: resetted the receiver like 1,000 times, unplug and replug the receiver, unplugged the U-Verse Router and replugged it, unplugged the modem that supports the wireless link from the main one, unplugged the main receiver and tech appointments; all of which didn't fix anything and I'm not forking over $98 everytime AT&T comes out here to fix something that's supposed to be nearly 100% perfect the first time they install services. As you may figure, this is one of the wireless receivers that are having the problems, so I should be able to move it anywhere in my house with *little/no* problems. Before the event mentioned above happened, the receiver was working just fine. I contacted AT&T about this problem about 2 confirmed times and one of the operators was going to send us a new receiver, but for some reason, he couldn't send it, so he sent a tech out here and the tech temporary fixed it then it happened again, so what can I do about this problem? This is making me very disappointed and making me lose my patience with the TV service. All other services are working great and all other TVs in the house (2 excluding mine) are working near perfect. I want to get this over with asap. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

It just moved into another apartment and had my uverse set up. Now it freezes and looses signal every 15 min and then goes back like nothing happened. And also my main box won't hook up to my tv the tech had them both working and I just unplugged from the back of one TV and switched to my other one and it stopped working. Anyone have any ideas?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

justme6672 - Your first problem could be just about anything. If you have COAX, make sure your connections are tight. 

You can call in for repair or call the installer to come back.

The second problem sounds like the TV is not set to the right input. If the right input is selected on the TV menu, try other inputs (both instances and types).

HDMI can be problematic with some TVs. The sure fix is component cable.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I just had U-Verse installed yesterday. This morning I'm trying to watch tv and I keep getting the "television signal has been lost" message. My computer stays connected to the internet (also U-verse). I've checked the connection from the router to the u-verse tv box and it's connected with no obstructions, it's just a single cable correct? Is there anything I can do to prevent the tv from losing signal again? It happened 3 times in an hour, and I'd like if it didn't happen that often 🙂

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.