For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
benboy12's profile

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

Saturday, December 26th, 2015 10:58 PM

U-Verse Max Turbo Download Speed

All,

I recently upgraded to Max Turbo (24 down). While my upload speed has increased greatly, my download speed is at about 16.5 - 19.5, which is what I was getting with the Max package (18 down). Is there a reason I am not seeing a speed increase with an upgraded package? I would think I would at least be getting around 22 down. Any thoughts?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

Are you testing with a wired connection or wireless?  If wireless, try also with wired for comparison.  If not using speedtest.net (and more than one server), try that as well.

Do you have U-verse IPTV as well?  Do you watch record a lot of HD?  two HD recordings would limit you to 20 Mbps while the recordings were going on.

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

8 years ago

I am testing wireless, but I can try and track down and ethernet cable to test wired in a bit.

I just thought it was odd that I get the same, if not faster, speeds on the 18 Mbps plan than on the 24 Mbps plan. However, I am getting over 4 Mbps upload, which I believe is faster than advertised. I have U-Verse TV, but nothing was being recorded during my initial test.

I just ran the test again through SpeedTest and got 15.39 down and 4.68 upload. No shows were being recorded, but Hulu was streaming on one TV.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

@benboy12 wrote:

I am testing wireless, but I can try and track down and ethernet cable to test wired in a bit.

I just thought it was odd that I get the same, if not faster, speeds on the 18 Mbps plan than on the 24 Mbps plan. However, I am getting over 4 Mbps upload, which I believe is faster than advertised. I have U-Verse TV, but nothing was being recorded during my initial test.

I just ran the test again through SpeedTest and got 15.39 down and 4.68 upload. No shows were being recorded, but Hulu was streaming on one TV.

802.11g is limited to about 22 Mbps, and 20 is a lot more typical  A lot of 802.11n clients basically only operate as if they were 802.11g due to compatability/intererence issues, so even though your Internet connection is now capable of faster than 20 Mbps, your Wi-Fi is likely not.  I expect that your Ethernet cable connection test will come out around 26 Mbps down / 4 Mbps up as long as it's not competing with other things (e.g. Hulu) for bandwidth.  Speed tests download a fixed amount of data and measure how long it takes, so anything using part of the bandwidth will make your speedtest report low.

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you for your input. Either my one stream was really affecting my speed or I was just having some connection issues last night. I just re-ran the speed test and am getting 26.68 Mbps down now. Looks like I am good to go now!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.