For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
orangebull's profile

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

Sunday, January 9th, 2011 8:25 PM

Two Wireless Connections - 1 secure 1 insecure

I had a friend come by and he connected without using the WEP network security key.  When I looked at my wireless connections, I had two 2WIRExxx connections.  One is secure and one is not.  How do I delete the insecure connection?

Thanks.

Orangebull 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

If yours is secured, the one that is insecured is most likely a different customer near your house.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

Yep thats it.  I have an app on my computer that lets me see every wireless hot spot in my area.  Lots of Uverse subs on my street, with one or two other providers signals.  I can tell when the subs are actually using the wireless features of their RGs.

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

13 years ago

It has the same connection, 2WIRExxx as mine.  I realize someone could change it to be the same.  I just thought it was suspicious.  I'll turn off my router and see if it is still there. 

Thanks,

Orangebull

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

Let us know what happens.

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

13 years ago

Since I was recording, I decided to change the SSID to see if both of the wireless names changed.  Only my secured wireless changed names so it was just another customer with  the same SSID.  I guess I'm getting more parnoid...

Orangebull

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Your friend might have logged in as "guest" and a subsequent "guest network" was created by the router.  This happened to me ironically at the same time AT&T was implementing IPV6 on my router, (pace 5031-nv).  All of a sudden I had a guest network with the same name as my "regular" newtwork.  I disabled SSID broadcast for the guest network name and don't use guest accounts if I can help it.  Do a quick search on "guest networks" under Android and you'll find lots of replies. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.