mjsoccerfan's profile

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

Wednesday, August 7th, 2013 1:33 AM

To connect PC tv tuner to VIP1225 DVR, have to pay for tech support?

I am trying to hook up my HP Touchsmart PC and Avermedia TV tuner with Windows 8 ProPack (windows media center) to my Uverse DVR/STB (VIP1225). The PC only has a coax input. Apparently, the VIP1225 DVR only produces an analog signal (i.e., only channel 3) on the coax output line.

So I tried to call tech support to find out if Uverse provides a DVR that produces a digital signal on its coax line. I got forwarded to ConnecTech, who told me that I could only get the answer if I would pay $49 to get the information, or if I subscribed for 12 months @ $15/month. An early termination fee applies. They said the subscription would cover 4 computers and all my TVs and any questions I would have about Windows 8.

I asked if the tech support agents were in the US, and they said, yes, they had one American agent.

Is this subscription worth it? Are these agents any good? I'm tired of dealing with technical support agents in the Philippines and India, who never seem to understand my questions and have less technical ability than I do.

It also makes me pretty angry that I have to pay for technical support when I am already spending >$200 per month for my cable/internet/phone service.

Any advice or help (or if you have the answer) would be appreciated. Does anyone have a VIP2250, and does it produce digital signal on the coax output line? I saw other postings in the forum where people apparently could not get a free upgrade from a VIP1225 unless it was truly broken. But I guess I just want to know if it's even possible...

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

All U-Verse set-top boxes only output SD 480i analog NTSC on channel 3 on the coax output. The coax output is incapable of outputting either QAM or ATSC.

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

11 years ago

wow, that was quick. Thank you for saving me $50. The ConnecTech pre-sales agent I talked to assured me that all uverse STBs produced digital signal on the coax line. But at one point, he also asked me what a digital signal was.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

@mjsoccerfan wrote:

The ConnecTech pre-sales agent I talked to assured me that all uverse STBs produced digital signal on the coax line. But at one point, he also asked me what a digital signal was.

Yes, that indeed confirms you were talking to ConnectTech. Rolleyes Smiley

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.