texasguy37's profile

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

Thursday, May 10th, 2012 7:02 PM

Time Warner Cable Sports to Tip Off Lakers-Centric RSNs on Oct. 1

It will be interesting to see what type of carriage issues arise with these new sports channels.  Here is an excerpt from the article found in the link below:

It's official now: Time Warner Cable will tip off its two regional sports networks, centering on the Los Angeles Lakers, on Oct. 1.

The largest MSO in Los Angeles will bow Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Spanish-language RSN Time Warner Cable Deportes, which will have its own production team and programming sensibilities, shortly before the National Basketball Association begins its 2012-13 season, according to Time Warner Cable Sports president David Rone.

The foundation for the services was established in February 2011, when Time Warner Cable secured local rights to the Lakers -- whose games have been televised by Fox Sports West and KCAL-TV -- for a 20-year period in a deal that is reportedly valued at $3 billion. Since then, Time Warner Cable Sports also gained rights to the defending Major League Soccer champion Los Angeles Galaxy and the WNBA's Los Angeles Sparks.

Rone, in an interview, said Time Warner Cable counts some 2 million customers in the RSNs' territory that extends from "Fresno to the north, the Mexican border to the south, east to Palm Springs and Las Vegas, and Hawaii to the west." All told, those areas encompass some 6 million TV homes.

Rone said that he, senior vice president and general manager of Time Warner Cable Sports Regional Networks Mark Shuken and Dan Finnerty, the senior vice president of Time Warner Cable Sports, who heads affiliate sales, recently began discussions with potential distributors.

"We have not had many of them, they literally began last week. In between now and the NCTA Cable Show [which starts May 21 in Boston}, we will have gotten in front of all of the MVPDs that we need to speak to. I'm stressing MVPDs because we're speaking to MSOs, satellite companies and telcos."

Rone would not discuss pricing. Published reports have placed the ask at $3.50 per subscriber for the pair of networks. For his part, ISI Group analyst Vijay Jayant pegs the price at $2.50 per month per subscriber.

A former  executive at Fox Sports, CAA and Evolution Media Capital, Rone did say Time Warner Cable Sports' distribution game plan calls for equal footing for the services.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/484345-Time_Warner_Cable_Sports_to_Tip_Off_Lakers_Centric_RSNs_on_Oct_1.php

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

11 years ago

@gcotton wrote:

So will this only be available to those in So-Cal or Nationwide??  Thanks!

Inside the Lakers' territory, the English channel will be on the U100 and above package. The Spanish channel will be on the U300 and above package.

Outside of the Lakers' territory, the English channel will be on the HD Premium Tier package.  Not sure where the Spanish channel will be available.

Of course, the Lakers games will be blacked out on those channels outside of the Lakers' territory, but the other programming on those channels will be viewable in all locations.

Mentor

• 

65 Messages

11 years ago

Can anyone tell me if the two new channel are Regional Sports Network (RSN)?  All I can say is more money out of our pockets next year.  Is there an endpoint to all these new channels?  I can tell you that the next channel on the horizon is the SEC (Southeastern Conference) network from ESPN.  ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

11 years ago

@jmac411 wrote:

Can anyone tell me if the two new channel are Regional Sports Network (RSN)?  All I can say is more money out of our pockets next year.  Is there an endpoint to all these new channels?  I can tell you that the next channel on the horizon is the SEC (Southeastern Conference) network from ESPN.  ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!

I have seen 2101 and 2102 for the last week or two. They are located right before the NBA League Pass channels. The Titan TV channel listings say they are the " NBA League Pass Stats Central Application".

Here is an AT&T link explaining the application:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB413293&cv=813,902&title=NBA+League+Pass+activation+%26...

I would assume they will go live for NBA League Pass subscribers when the regular season starts.

As it has been said many times on this forum, "the more channels (especially HD), the better."

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Scholar

• 

104 Messages

11 years ago

odd I have U450 and channel wont show for me.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

11 years ago

@jhy1978 wrote:

odd I have U450 and channel wont show for me.

I also do not have it yet, so I assume the channel has not yet gone live on U-Verse. Give it day or so.

Scholar

• 

177 Messages

11 years ago

Tuesday.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

@jmac411 wrote:

While you may not care about sports networks, it's always a good thing when more are added.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Where is the Laker's channel (Time Warner Cable SportsNet) in Los Angeles area?  Channel listing says it should be 777 or 1777, but there is nothing on either of those channels.  What gives?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

11 years ago

@bcomb wrote:

Where is the Laker's channel (Time Warner Cable SportsNet) in Los Angeles area?  Channel listing says it should be 777 or 1777, but there is nothing on either of those channels.  What gives?

Reboot your U-verse receiver.

Scholar

• 

282 Messages

11 years ago

to anybody down in the southland, im curious if the college football games that time warner espanol shows have spanish commentary, thanks for any feedback in advance

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.