Linda661's profile

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

Thursday, May 10th, 2012 9:41 PM

TV is sputtering on hot days

I'm not sure if this is the right palce for this question.  Now that summer is here (UGH) we are having the same problem as last summer.  Around noon and later the tv will have sputtering spells.  Besides being annoying, it can't be good for the television.  We had a tech out for another matter last year and he said that the hot sun on our outside connection was causing it. 

Question 1. Is it true that the hot sun on our outside connections can cause reception problems

Question 2   If so, what can we do to stop it

I am also wondering if maybe we have weak cables somewhere in the connections.  It only happens on the main TV in the living room.  I do use coax cable to connect our service to that tv and it goes thru a DVD player and a Laser disc player to get to the tv set.

Question 1   Could the coax cable be the probelm

Question 2   Is it bad to run the service thru so many other devices

Question 3   What is the best kind of cable to use on our connections I'm not up on the latest technology terms, so be kind.  I thought I could use the red/yellow/white A/V cables.  There is a spot for HDMI (?).  I don't know what that is or what kind of cable that would be.

Our TV is High Def, but we don't subscribe to High Def programming.

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks.  I'll find the code tomorrow.  I'm feeling frustrated and tired right now.  I think I need a fresh start tomorrow.  I'm also going to try different cables tomorrow.

Thanks all

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

12 years ago

I tried to run the test this morning, but it wouldn't run.  I'm going to let this go for now.  I'll try a different type of cables and see how it goes.

Thanks to everyone for coaching me thru all of this.

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

12 years ago

I have connected my DVR to the television with an HDMI cable now and no more sputtering.  The picture is also beautiful.  The only down side is that the volume is lower now.  I have to turn the volume all the way up to get enough sound. I reset it, but still lower than with the other kind of cables.  Audio has always been a problem from the first.  I actually use an ampliphier with external speaker in the bedroom.  I could use the receiver in the living room, but Is there another cable I should be using  to boost the audio? 

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

Linda661 - Do you know how to set the remote to vary the STB volume? Do that. Push volume up - You should see 25 on your TV - max volume - click volume up till it is 25. Then you can reset the remote to TV volume.

The red/white sound jacks are always active. You can feed any device with that connection.

The TV with HDMI will use the HDMI sound feed by default, My TV has an audio option to change from HDMI sound to the associated red/white inputs. If your TV has that you can try it.

I find the U-verse sound to be lower, even on 25, so that I need to lower the volume when on other sources. Annoying, but not a problem for me.

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

12 years ago

OK...thanks.

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

12 years ago

Here I am again.  I've had problems with the DVR for the last 2 days.  Freezes up and when I would reboot yesterday I was getting the red X.  I used the on-line trouble shooting and it came back.  It just froze again today for the 2nd time so I am changing to the RCA jacks instead of the HDMI cable to see if it has anything to do with that cable.   Here are my questions:

Is it ok to use the HDMI cable if I do not subscribe to HD? 

Also, we were getting a greenish tint on some of the channels.  Could that be from the HDMI cable?

What are the optional RCA type cables called that have the red/white/blue /green?

I hate that I sound so ignorant about all of this, but it's still a learning process for me.

Thanks

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

Seeing the red X is never a good thing.  It could be an indication of pending DVR failure.

The RCA (i.e. composite) cables (red, white, and yellow) only transmit a SD signal.  Yes, you can use them if you are not interesting in tuning to HD channels.

Component cables with audio ( red, green, blue, red, white) can also be used to receive HD signals.

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

12 years ago

Yes...I had the red X last year and lost all of my recording.  The tech came out and replaced something outside.  He didn't give us a new box.  He said I lost my recordings because I kept rebooting. That's why I paniced yesterday when I saw the red X again.

I do not subscribe to HD, I am just trying to get a good picture with none of the sputtering I had in the past.  The HDMI cable was giving us a good picture, but now the freezing and the green tint.  I'm not sure if those things were caused by the new cable.   I was wondering if it's ok to use the HDMI cable when I do not subscribe to HD.

Guess I'll try the RCA cables for a while and maybe buy some component cables.

Thanks

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

You absolutely can use the HDMI cable even if you are not watching HD channels.  I doubt that the problems that you are seeing are caused by the HDMI cable.

Do you have other TV's connected to U-verse?  If so, switch the location of the DVR with one of the non-DVR receivers while still using the HDMI cable on that TV.  This will help pinpoint if the issue is actually with the DVR.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

Re:
Is it ok to use the HDMI cable if I do not subscribe to HD?

Also, we were getting a greenish tint on some of the channels. Could that be from the HDMI cable?

What are the optional RCA type cables called that have the red/white/blue /green?

Yes, HDMI is the best connection for HD TV, when it works. The few problems appear to be not working at all or black screen. It should not cause your red x-problem. That should be DVR, hose wiring, RG or outside wiring. Call for test.

The RCA Jacks are kind of complicated & hard to describe & easy to mix up.

The audio is on the red/white (2 sets). The adjacent yellow is composite video & only for SD. If you are not watching HD you could use this , but it may be tricky to get a full screen.

The three jacks together (red, blue, green) are component video - full HD (analog version of HDMI) no sound. You need to use the red/white for sound.

Green tint is unusual. Unlikely with HDMI. With component could be reversal of cables or one not connected. With CRT TV could be picture tube.

In the DVR set the aspect ratio option to match your TV if connected HDMI or component. If connected composite I think the SD widescreen is best.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.