Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted May 10, 2012
2:41:02 PM
View profile
TV is sputtering on hot days

I'm not sure if this is the right palce for this question.  Now that summer is here (UGH) we are having the same problem as last summer.  Around noon and later the tv will have sputtering spells.  Besides being annoying, it can't be good for the television.  We had a tech out for another matter last year and he said that the hot sun on our outside connection was causing it. 

Question 1. Is it true that the hot sun on our outside connections can cause reception problems

Question 2   If so, what can we do to stop it

I am also wondering if maybe we have weak cables somewhere in the connections.  It only happens on the main TV in the living room.  I do use coax cable to connect our service to that tv and it goes thru a DVD player and a Laser disc player to get to the tv set.

Question 1   Could the coax cable be the probelm

Question 2   Is it bad to run the service thru so many other devices

Question 3   What is the best kind of cable to use on our connections I'm not up on the latest technology terms, so be kind.  I thought I could use the red/yellow/white A/V cables.  There is a spot for HDMI (?).  I don't know what that is or what kind of cable that would be.

Our TV is High Def, but we don't subscribe to High Def programming.

I'm not sure if this is the right palce for this question.  Now that summer is here (UGH) we are having the same problem as last summer.  Around noon and later the tv will have sputtering spells.  Besides being annoying, it can't be good for the television.  We had a tech out for another matter last year and he said that the hot sun on our outside connection was causing it. 

Question 1. Is it true that the hot sun on our outside connections can cause reception problems

Question 2   If so, what can we do to stop it

I am also wondering if maybe we have weak cables somewhere in the connections.  It only happens on the main TV in the living room.  I do use coax cable to connect our service to that tv and it goes thru a DVD player and a Laser disc player to get to the tv set.

Question 1   Could the coax cable be the probelm

Question 2   Is it bad to run the service thru so many other devices

Question 3   What is the best kind of cable to use on our connections I'm not up on the latest technology terms, so be kind.  I thought I could use the red/yellow/white A/V cables.  There is a spot for HDMI (?).  I don't know what that is or what kind of cable that would be.

Our TV is High Def, but we don't subscribe to High Def programming.

Accepted Solution

TV is sputtering on hot days

31 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(31)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2012 3:00:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Why does the U-verse receiver connect to the TV through the DVD player and Laser disc player as opposed to a direct connection from the U-verse receiver to the TV? 

Since you have an HDTV, I would recommend either an HDMI cable or component cables even though you do not subscribe to the HD service.  Those are the only connections that will deliver a HD picture which you can take advantage of whenever U-verse offer an HD free preview.  By the way, why do you not want HD service on your HDTV?

I don't know that the connection between the U-verse receiver and the TV is the reason for the sputtering.  Can you download and install SomeJoe's tool at the link below?

http://www.uverserealtime.com/

Once you install the tool, please post screenshots of the following tabs: IP/ProfileError Table, Bitloading, & Coax/HPNA.

We can take a look at the screenshots to see if there appears that you might be an issue with your system.

Why does the U-verse receiver connect to the TV through the DVD player and Laser disc player as opposed to a direct connection from the U-verse receiver to the TV? 

Since you have an HDTV, I would recommend either an HDMI cable or component cables even though you do not subscribe to the HD service.  Those are the only connections that will deliver a HD picture which you can take advantage of whenever U-verse offer an HD free preview.  By the way, why do you not want HD service on your HDTV?

I don't know that the connection between the U-verse receiver and the TV is the reason for the sputtering.  Can you download and install SomeJoe's tool at the link below?

http://www.uverserealtime.com/

Once you install the tool, please post screenshots of the following tabs: IP/ProfileError Table, Bitloading, & Coax/HPNA.

We can take a look at the screenshots to see if there appears that you might be an issue with your system.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: TV is sputtering on hot days

2 of 32 (2,824 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2012 3:29:43 PM
(0)
Scholar

I replied, but my message was moved while I was runnig the tests.  I don't know if you got my message.  I run thru all of the components because that's the way I've always done it in the past to be able to see my laser movies on the tv or switch back and forth.  I am willing to run directly fromt he DVR to the TV and not worry ab out the DVD and Laser.

I don't subscribe to HD because I am on a very fixed income.  I'm already pushing it to have the 450 service.  I don't mind.

I have the screen shots, but don't know how to send them to you.

I replied, but my message was moved while I was runnig the tests.  I don't know if you got my message.  I run thru all of the components because that's the way I've always done it in the past to be able to see my laser movies on the tv or switch back and forth.  I am willing to run directly fromt he DVR to the TV and not worry ab out the DVD and Laser.

I don't subscribe to HD because I am on a very fixed income.  I'm already pushing it to have the 450 service.  I don't mind.

3 of 32 (2,806 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2012 3:30:58 PM
(0)
Scholar

When Realtime asked if I wanted to include personal information, I said Yes.  Should I include personal information?

When Realtime asked if I wanted to include personal information, I said Yes.  Should I include personal information?

4 of 32 (2,804 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2012 3:45:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Linda661 wrote:

No, you do not want to include personal information.

Linda661 wrote:

No, you do not want to include personal information.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 32 (2,801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2012 3:49:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Linda661 wrote:

You can insert the screenshots into a message using the icon that looks like a tree.

Also, you should connect both the DVD player and the Laser disc player directly to your TV.  There should be enough connections on your HDTV for all of those devices to connect individually.  You just change the input on the TV to go between U-verse, the DVD player and the Laser disc player.

Linda661 wrote:

You can insert the screenshots into a message using the icon that looks like a tree.

Also, you should connect both the DVD player and the Laser disc player directly to your TV.  There should be enough connections on your HDTV for all of those devices to connect individually.  You just change the input on the TV to go between U-verse, the DVD player and the Laser disc player.

6 of 32 (2,800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2012 3:57:37 PM
(0)
Scholar

7 of 32 (2,798 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
May 10, 2012 4:07:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Thanks for posting those screenshots! 

I notice that your gateway has been running for 65 days.  I would suggest that you unplug it for about 30 seconds and then plug it back in.

Also, if any of your U-verse receivers are feed by coaxial cable, after the gateway comes back online, run the Extended Test and then repost the Coax.HPNA tab.

Thanks!

Thanks for posting those screenshots! 

I notice that your gateway has been running for 65 days.  I would suggest that you unplug it for about 30 seconds and then plug it back in.

Also, if any of your U-verse receivers are feed by coaxial cable, after the gateway comes back online, run the Extended Test and then repost the Coax.HPNA tab.

Thanks!

8 of 32 (2,794 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2012 4:17:04 PM
(0)
Scholar

I'm using coaxial cable everywhere.  I'm going to try to change to something else.  I don't have a HDMI cable.  You'd think one must have come with my TV so maybe I put it somewhere.

I'll do the power down and run the test again.

Two questions:

Am I supposed to powere down the gate way on a regular basis?  How often?

Can the hot sun be affecting anything to do with my reception?

I'm using coaxial cable everywhere.  I'm going to try to change to something else.  I don't have a HDMI cable.  You'd think one must have come with my TV so maybe I put it somewhere.

I'll do the power down and run the test again.

Two questions:

9 of 32 (2,792 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2012 4:19:50 PM
(0)
Scholar

On my Coax screen shot I had that message to run the link

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_5_0

when I access that site (called 2 WIRE) there are all sorts of pages and tests.  Should I be doing something there or are you looking at that?

when I access that site (called 2 WIRE) there are all sorts of pages and tests.  Should I be doing something there or are you looking at that?

10 of 32 (2,791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2012 4:35:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Linda661 wrote:

Two questions:

Options vary about rebooting the gateway on a regular basis.  I generally reboot mine 1 or 2 times a month.

I have not heard about the hot sun affecting reception.

Linda661 wrote:

Two questions:

Options vary about rebooting the gateway on a regular basis.  I generally reboot mine 1 or 2 times a month.

I have not heard about the hot sun affecting reception.

11 of 32 (2,787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2012 4:36:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Linda661 wrote:

On that page, there should be a button to press to run the Extended Test.

Linda661 wrote:

On that page, there should be a button to press to run the Extended Test.

12 of 32 (2,786 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2012 5:55:33 PM
(0)
Guru
Linda661 wrote:

"I don't subscribe to HD because I am on a very fixed income.  I'm already pushing it to have the 450 service.  I don't mind."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't HD already included in the 450 package?

Linda661 wrote:

"I don't subscribe to HD because I am on a very fixed income.  I'm already pushing it to have the 450 service.  I don't mind."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't HD already included in the 450 package?

13 of 32 (2,788 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2012 5:59:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on May 10, 2012 at 6:00:02 PM

Yes, the $10 HD Technology fee is included in the U450 package.  Since the OP has been using coax to connect the U-verse receiver to the HDTV, she has not been receiving an HD picture on any of the HD channels (channels 1000 - 1999).

Yes, the $10 HD Technology fee is included in the U450 package.  Since the OP has been using coax to connect the U-verse receiver to the HDTV, she has not been receiving an HD picture on any of the HD channels (channels 1000 - 1999).

[ Edited ]
14 of 32 (2,786 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2012 6:03:16 PM
(0)
Guru

Ah!  Ok, I mis-read that as meaning using coax to connect each box to the network.

Ah!  Ok, I mis-read that as meaning using coax to connect each box to the network.

15 of 32 (2,783 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2012 6:05:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on May 10, 2012 at 6:06:43 PM

I think she is using coax for those connections also.  The U-verse boxes are feed by coax, and she also uses coax to connect the U-verse boxes to the TV's.  

I think she is using coax for those connections also.  The U-verse boxes are feed by coax, and she also uses coax to connect the U-verse boxes to the TV's.  

[ Edited ]
16 of 32 (2,780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2012 6:10:43 PM
(0)
Scholar

oops...I have the U300 package.  No HD

oops...I have the U300 package.  No HD

17 of 32 (2,776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2012 6:48:06 PM
(0)
Scholar

Powered down the gateway and tried to run the extended test, but it is asking me for a password.  I don't use a lot of passwords and I don't know what password it means.  When I click on " I forgot the password" the hint says that the system password is on the label???????  UGH

Powered down the gateway and tried to run the extended test, but it is asking me for a password.  I don't use a lot of passwords and I don't know what password it means.  When I click on " I forgot the password" the hint says that the system password is on the label???????  UGH

18 of 32 (2,768 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
May 10, 2012 6:59:05 PM
(0)
Mentor

This system password is the default password used for your residential gateway (commonly called the RG on here; it's the 2Wire device that runs the U-Verse service inside your home).  Look for a label on the bottom that has all sorts of information on it.  One of the items there will say "System Password."  That is the password that the software wishes you to enter.

This system password is the default password used for your residential gateway (commonly called the RG on here; it's the 2Wire device that runs the U-Verse service inside your home).  Look for a label on the bottom that has all sorts of information on it.  One of the items there will say "System Password."  That is the password that the software wishes you to enter.

19 of 32 (2,764 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
May 10, 2012 7:01:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Yes it is on a label on the RG. I believe on a battery pack if you have an inid.

On the 3801 RG it is in white letters on the black box - Device Access code. It is a 10 digit number.
Yes it is on a label on the RG. I believe on a battery pack if you have an inid.

On the 3801 RG it is in white letters on the black box - Device Access code. It is a 10 digit number.

20 of 32 (2,762 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2012 7:08:38 PM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks.  I'll find the code tomorrow.  I'm feeling frustrated and tired right now.  I think I need a fresh start tomorrow.  I'm also going to try different cables tomorrow.

Thanks all

Thanks.  I'll find the code tomorrow.  I'm feeling frustrated and tired right now.  I think I need a fresh start tomorrow.  I'm also going to try different cables tomorrow.

Thanks all

21 of 32 (2,758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2012 6:25:48 AM
(0)
Scholar

I tried to run the test this morning, but it wouldn't run.  I'm going to let this go for now.  I'll try a different type of cables and see how it goes.

Thanks to everyone for coaching me thru all of this.

I tried to run the test this morning, but it wouldn't run.  I'm going to let this go for now.  I'll try a different type of cables and see how it goes.

Thanks to everyone for coaching me thru all of this.

22 of 32 (2,728 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2012 9:37:12 AM
(0)
Scholar

I have connected my DVR to the television with an HDMI cable now and no more sputtering.  The picture is also beautiful.  The only down side is that the volume is lower now.  I have to turn the volume all the way up to get enough sound. I reset it, but still lower than with the other kind of cables.  Audio has always been a problem from the first.  I actually use an ampliphier with external speaker in the bedroom.  I could use the receiver in the living room, but Is there another cable I should be using  to boost the audio? 

I have connected my DVR to the television with an HDMI cable now and no more sputtering.  The picture is also beautiful.  The only down side is that the volume is lower now.  I have to turn the volume all the way up to get enough sound. I reset it, but still lower than with the other kind of cables.  Audio has always been a problem from the first.  I actually use an ampliphier with external speaker in the bedroom.  I could use the receiver in the living room, but Is there another cable I should be using  to boost the audio? 

23 of 32 (2,612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
May 18, 2012 9:55:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Make sure that volume on the U-verse boxes themselves are set to the maximum level (i.e. 25):

1) Press and hold the AT&T button on the remote.

2) Press the OK button and release it and the AT&T button at the same time. All the universal lights will flash twice.

3) Type 955. The AT&T button will flash twice.

4) Press the ENTER button in the lower right hand corner

5) Now you can use the VOL button to turn your U-verse box all the way up.

Once you get it set how you want, set the remote back to control the TV volume instead of the U-verse box. To do that:

2) Press the OK button and release it and the AT&T button at the same time. All the universal lights will flash twice.

4) Press the TV button. The TV button will flash twice.

5. Press the AT&T button

Make sure that volume on the U-verse boxes themselves are set to the maximum level (i.e. 25):

4) Press the ENTER button in the lower right hand corner

5) Now you can use the VOL button to turn your U-verse box all the way up.

Once you get it set how you want, set the remote back to control the TV volume instead of the U-verse box. To do that:

4) Press the TV button. The TV button will flash twice.

5. Press the AT&T button

24 of 32 (2,607 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2012 9:55:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Linda661 - Do you know how to set the remote to vary the STB volume? Do that. Push volume up - You should see 25 on your TV - max volume - click volume up till it is 25. Then you can reset the remote to TV volume.

The red/white sound jacks are always active. You can feed any device with that connection.

The TV with HDMI will use the HDMI sound feed by default, My TV has an audio option to change from HDMI sound to the associated red/white inputs. If your TV has that you can try it.

I find the U-verse sound to be lower, even on 25, so that I need to lower the volume when on other sources. Annoying, but not a problem for me.
Linda661 - Do you know how to set the remote to vary the STB volume? Do that. Push volume up - You should see 25 on your TV - max volume - click volume up till it is 25. Then you can reset the remote to TV volume.

The red/white sound jacks are always active. You can feed any device with that connection.

The TV with HDMI will use the HDMI sound feed by default, My TV has an audio option to change from HDMI sound to the associated red/white inputs. If your TV has that you can try it.

I find the U-verse sound to be lower, even on 25, so that I need to lower the volume when on other sources. Annoying, but not a problem for me.

25 of 32 (2,606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2012 10:06:22 AM
(0)
Scholar

OK...thanks.

OK...thanks.

26 of 32 (2,604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2012 3:19:14 PM
(0)
Scholar

Here I am again.  I've had problems with the DVR for the last 2 days.  Freezes up and when I would reboot yesterday I was getting the red X.  I used the on-line trouble shooting and it came back.  It just froze again today for the 2nd time so I am changing to the RCA jacks instead of the HDMI cable to see if it has anything to do with that cable.   Here are my questions:

Is it ok to use the HDMI cable if I do not subscribe to HD? 

Also, we were getting a greenish tint on some of the channels.  Could that be from the HDMI cable?

What are the optional RCA type cables called that have the red/white/blue /green?

I hate that I sound so ignorant about all of this, but it's still a learning process for me.

Thanks

Here I am again.  I've had problems with the DVR for the last 2 days.  Freezes up and when I would reboot yesterday I was getting the red X.  I used the on-line trouble shooting and it came back.  It just froze again today for the 2nd time so I am changing to the RCA jacks instead of the HDMI cable to see if it has anything to do with that cable.   Here are my questions:

Is it ok to use the HDMI cable if I do not subscribe to HD? 

Also, we were getting a greenish tint on some of the channels.  Could that be from the HDMI cable?

What are the optional RCA type cables called that have the red/white/blue /green?

I hate that I sound so ignorant about all of this, but it's still a learning process for me.

Thanks

27 of 32 (2,550 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2012 3:30:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Seeing the red X is never a good thing.  It could be an indication of pending DVR failure.

The RCA (i.e. composite) cables (red, white, and yellow) only transmit a SD signal.  Yes, you can use them if you are not interesting in tuning to HD channels.

Component cables with audio ( red, green, blue, red, white) can also be used to receive HD signals.

Seeing the red X is never a good thing.  It could be an indication of pending DVR failure.

The RCA (i.e. composite) cables (red, white, and yellow) only transmit a SD signal.  Yes, you can use them if you are not interesting in tuning to HD channels.

Component cables with audio ( red, green, blue, red, white) can also be used to receive HD signals.

28 of 32 (2,548 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2012 3:47:58 PM
(0)
Scholar

Yes...I had the red X last year and lost all of my recording.  The tech came out and replaced something outside.  He didn't give us a new box.  He said I lost my recordings because I kept rebooting. That's why I paniced yesterday when I saw the red X again.

I do not subscribe to HD, I am just trying to get a good picture with none of the sputtering I had in the past.  The HDMI cable was giving us a good picture, but now the freezing and the green tint.  I'm not sure if those things were caused by the new cable.   I was wondering if it's ok to use the HDMI cable when I do not subscribe to HD.

Guess I'll try the RCA cables for a while and maybe buy some component cables.

Thanks

Yes...I had the red X last year and lost all of my recording.  The tech came out and replaced something outside.  He didn't give us a new box.  He said I lost my recordings because I kept rebooting. That's why I paniced yesterday when I saw the red X again.

I do not subscribe to HD, I am just trying to get a good picture with none of the sputtering I had in the past.  The HDMI cable was giving us a good picture, but now the freezing and the green tint.  I'm not sure if those things were caused by the new cable.   I was wondering if it's ok to use the HDMI cable when I do not subscribe to HD.

Guess I'll try the RCA cables for a while and maybe buy some component cables.

Thanks

29 of 32 (2,543 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2012 3:56:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You absolutely can use the HDMI cable even if you are not watching HD channels.  I doubt that the problems that you are seeing are caused by the HDMI cable.

Do you have other TV's connected to U-verse?  If so, switch the location of the DVR with one of the non-DVR receivers while still using the HDMI cable on that TV.  This will help pinpoint if the issue is actually with the DVR.

You absolutely can use the HDMI cable even if you are not watching HD channels.  I doubt that the problems that you are seeing are caused by the HDMI cable.

Do you have other TV's connected to U-verse?  If so, switch the location of the DVR with one of the non-DVR receivers while still using the HDMI cable on that TV.  This will help pinpoint if the issue is actually with the DVR.

30 of 32 (2,541 Views)