Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 26, 2013
12:55:51 PM
Speed issues with Netflix streaming

To start off I'm a knowledgeable Linux Systems Engineer with over 20 years experience in Internet related technologies so I've done my fair share of troubleshooting on this topic.  We also live in the city limits of St. Louis and are told that our area has completed it's Uverse network upgrades.

Since we switched to Uverse we have consistent issues streaming Netflix.  The initial 10-15 seconds of any video plays great, but then the picture quality severely degrades, sometimes enough that you cannot read text within the video because it is so pixelated.  I was warned before switching by other users in our area that there is a severe over subscription issue with Uverse Internet.  The more I look at this the more I am inclined to agree, but wanted to get community feedback.

We experience the issues the worst during peak times (4pm-midnight) but also at 4am we cannot stream movie in full HD without degradation of the picture due to throughput issues.  This alone leads me to believe my area is oversubscribed on Internet and there simply is not enough bandwidth upstream to handle the streaming appropriately.

We've done the following to troubleshoot:

Moved all wireless devices to wired.

Restarted router/modem (too many times to count).

Had our lines checked by a tech.

Run speed tests during - these tests are inconclusive because we have the 24Mbps package and even during trouble times we sometimes get speeds up to 18Mbps which is more than sufficient for Netflix HD streaming (you only need 5Mbps sustained).

Multiple devices are affected including the Apple TV that never once had an issue in its 5 years of service while using Charter cable services.  To re-iterate, never once, have we experienced what we are experiencing now with Charter cable services, but it consistently happens every day with AT&T.

Calls to AT&T have gone no where.  Techs say everything is fine, one even went as far as to tell me this is a common problem and he sees a lot of people cancel Internet services and go back to Charter for them.  I priced it out and we can get just Internet through Charter at 30Mbps (guaranteed steady throughput, not UP TO like AT&T) for $54.99/month without having to have cable TV through them.  That is considerably cheaper than I'm paying for 24Mbps Internet through Uverse.

All of that said is there anyone who can actually help me fix this problem?  I'd much prefer not to give another penny to Charter, but if this is the quality of Internet service we can expect from AT&T there is no way I am going to continue paying them for substandard service at a higher rate than the cable company.

Am I doomed with Uverse or is there hope?

To start off I'm a knowledgeable Linux Systems Engineer with over 20 years experience in Internet related technologies so I've done my fair share of troubleshooting on this topic.  We also live in the city limits of St. Louis and are told that our area has completed it's Uverse network upgrades.

Since we switched to Uverse we have consistent issues streaming Netflix.  The initial 10-15 seconds of any video plays great, but then the picture quality severely degrades, sometimes enough that you cannot read text within the video because it is so pixelated.  I was warned before switching by other users in our area that there is a severe over subscription issue with Uverse Internet.  The more I look at this the more I am inclined to agree, but wanted to get community feedback.

We experience the issues the worst during peak times (4pm-midnight) but also at 4am we cannot stream movie in full HD without degradation of the picture due to throughput issues.  This alone leads me to believe my area is oversubscribed on Internet and there simply is not enough bandwidth upstream to handle the streaming appropriately.

We've done the following to troubleshoot:

Moved all wireless devices to wired.

Restarted router/modem (too many times to count).

Had our lines checked by a tech.

Run speed tests during - these tests are inconclusive because we have the 24Mbps package and even during trouble times we sometimes get speeds up to 18Mbps which is more than sufficient for Netflix HD streaming (you only need 5Mbps sustained).

Multiple devices are affected including the Apple TV that never once had an issue in its 5 years of service while using Charter cable services.  To re-iterate, never once, have we experienced what we are experiencing now with Charter cable services, but it consistently happens every day with AT&T.

Calls to AT&T have gone no where.  Techs say everything is fine, one even went as far as to tell me this is a common problem and he sees a lot of people cancel Internet services and go back to Charter for them.  I priced it out and we can get just Internet through Charter at 30Mbps (guaranteed steady throughput, not UP TO like AT&T) for $54.99/month without having to have cable TV through them.  That is considerably cheaper than I'm paying for 24Mbps Internet through Uverse.

All of that said is there anyone who can actually help me fix this problem?  I'd much prefer not to give another penny to Charter, but if this is the quality of Internet service we can expect from AT&T there is no way I am going to continue paying them for substandard service at a higher rate than the cable company.

Am I doomed with Uverse or is there hope?

Speed issues with Netflix streaming

58 replies
(14) Me too
(14) Me too
View all replies
(58)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 12:52:57 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by jesserehmer on Jan 22, 2014 at 12:54:03 PM

JefferMC wrote:

The fact that using a VPN fixes your issue demonstrates that the AT&T network has plenty of capacity to move the content into your home, so long as it doesn't come directly from the video provider's CDN where there's just too much traffic coming through a choke point in the network.

Right... and you don't see this as an issue?  Since the AT&T network has the capacity it is obvious that they are restricting me based on what I am requesting.  I see this as AT&T restricting what I'm capable of doing on the Internet connection I'm paying for, which quite frankly is unacceptable.

I'm in St. Louis - as another poster said - almost all streaming services are garbage.  I never received any response via PM after asking for updates.  They said a tech would come out to change the equipment out, but that never happened, and when I call customer service they have no record.  This has been more than frustrating.  I threatened to go back to Charter over a month ago, and didn't, and I'm glad I waited because now I'll get 45Mbps from Charter instead of 30 for the same price.

JefferMC wrote:

The fact that using a VPN fixes your issue demonstrates that the AT&T network has plenty of capacity to move the content into your home, so long as it doesn't come directly from the video provider's CDN where there's just too much traffic coming through a choke point in the network.

Right... and you don't see this as an issue?  Since the AT&T network has the capacity it is obvious that they are restricting me based on what I am requesting.  I see this as AT&T restricting what I'm capable of doing on the Internet connection I'm paying for, which quite frankly is unacceptable.

I'm in St. Louis - as another poster said - almost all streaming services are garbage.  I never received any response via PM after asking for updates.  They said a tech would come out to change the equipment out, but that never happened, and when I call customer service they have no record.  This has been more than frustrating.  I threatened to go back to Charter over a month ago, and didn't, and I'm glad I waited because now I'll get 45Mbps from Charter instead of 30 for the same price.

Re: Speed issues with Netflix streaming

[ Edited ]
31 of 59 (3,558 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 1:01:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

jesserehmer wrote:
Right... and you don't see this as an issue?  I see this as AT&T restricting what I'm capable of doing on the Internet connection I'm paying for.

It could be AT&T shaping the traffic.  Or it could be traffic in excess of AT&T's peering capacity where Netflix's CDN sends traffic to you.  Either way you see the same result.

However, for the former to be true, AT&T would have to deliberately affecting large amounts of traffic to large number of customers, knowing that these customers will be dissatisfied and could blame them and change providers.

For the second to be true, AT&T would be conducting business as usual and trying to make their customers happy while having portions of their network connections overloaded by a third party with whom they have no financial connections.

Which seems more likely to you?

If it helps you decide, notice that all major ISPs have some customers complaining about these sorts of problems (and most also have customers without any issues), so now you have to accept that these major ISPs are all colluding to cause these issues deliberately.

Also, note that some see relief simply by changing their DNS settings, which gets them different CDN servers and a new path for basically the same traffic.  This demonstrates that AT&T doesn't seem to discrimate on the traffic itself, but that the route it takes to enter the network is causing the issue for these customers.  Which scenario does this fit?

Basically, I tend to accept the simplest explanation that fits the symptoms until I can prove it doesn't.

jesserehmer wrote:
Right... and you don't see this as an issue?  I see this as AT&T restricting what I'm capable of doing on the Internet connection I'm paying for.

It could be AT&T shaping the traffic.  Or it could be traffic in excess of AT&T's peering capacity where Netflix's CDN sends traffic to you.  Either way you see the same result.

However, for the former to be true, AT&T would have to deliberately affecting large amounts of traffic to large number of customers, knowing that these customers will be dissatisfied and could blame them and change providers.

For the second to be true, AT&T would be conducting business as usual and trying to make their customers happy while having portions of their network connections overloaded by a third party with whom they have no financial connections.

Which seems more likely to you?

If it helps you decide, notice that all major ISPs have some customers complaining about these sorts of problems (and most also have customers without any issues), so now you have to accept that these major ISPs are all colluding to cause these issues deliberately.

Also, note that some see relief simply by changing their DNS settings, which gets them different CDN servers and a new path for basically the same traffic.  This demonstrates that AT&T doesn't seem to discrimate on the traffic itself, but that the route it takes to enter the network is causing the issue for these customers.  Which scenario does this fit?

Basically, I tend to accept the simplest explanation that fits the symptoms until I can prove it doesn't.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

32 of 59 (3,552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 1:05:24 PM
(0)
Mentor
AT&T Customer Service has admitted to me, twice now, that the problem is likely oversubscription in my region, but that they would try different equipment first. Supposedly they had an appointment setup to replace my gear, but that never happened, and no one has responded to my subsequent requests. The network in this region was supposedly upgraded, which is why we signed up, but this doesn't appear to be the case - or not that I can tell from all evidence available to me as a customer.
AT&T Customer Service has admitted to me, twice now, that the problem is likely oversubscription in my region, but that they would try different equipment first. Supposedly they had an appointment setup to replace my gear, but that never happened, and no one has responded to my subsequent requests. The network in this region was supposedly upgraded, which is why we signed up, but this doesn't appear to be the case - or not that I can tell from all evidence available to me as a customer.

33 of 59 (3,550 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 1:15:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by JefferMC on Jan 22, 2014 at 1:16:01 PM

Look, I'm sorry but their telephone customer support is only good when they find the right script page to read.  If they go off script, they have no idea what they're talking about.  (When they're on script, provided they're on the right page, they often still have no idea what they're talking about, but at least the information is more accurate.)

So, you don't know what is meant by "oversubscribed," only that some one in Customer Service said those words to you in an attempt to get you off the phone and give her a good rating?

What do you think it means?

Look, I'm sorry but their telephone customer support is only good when they find the right script page to read.  If they go off script, they have no idea what they're talking about.  (When they're on script, provided they're on the right page, they often still have no idea what they're talking about, but at least the information is more accurate.)

So, you don't know what is meant by "oversubscribed," only that some one in Customer Service said those words to you in an attempt to get you off the phone and give her a good rating?

What do you think it means?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
34 of 59 (3,546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 1:17:59 PM
(0)
Mentor

The term oversubscribed comes directly from Customer Service and both install techs who have been to my house.  Both techs (specifically the second one who came out after I starting having issues with Netflix) stated that I would not be happy with AT&T's Internet if I streamed video.

The term oversubscribed comes directly from Customer Service and both install techs who have been to my house.  Both techs (specifically the second one who came out after I starting having issues with Netflix) stated that I would not be happy with AT&T's Internet if I streamed video.

35 of 59 (3,544 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 1:30:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

jesserehmer wrote:

Okay, so you don't know what you meant when you repeated the term "oversubscribed," but you used it anyway.  What neither tech told you was that you may not be happy with any Residential Internet Access Provider if you stream video, depending on where you are and what video provider.

jesserehmer wrote:

Okay, so you don't know what you meant when you repeated the term "oversubscribed," but you used it anyway.  What neither tech told you was that you may not be happy with any Residential Internet Access Provider if you stream video, depending on where you are and what video provider.

36 of 59 (3,533 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2014 6:22:00 PM
(0)
Tutor

im sorry you folks are having these problems but thanks so much for posting. I signed up for uverse last night and have had nothing but trouble ever since. I will be cancelling this mess before its installed. You have saved me a great headache

im sorry you folks are having these problems but thanks so much for posting. I signed up for uverse last night and have had nothing but trouble ever since. I will be cancelling this mess before its installed. You have saved me a great headache

37 of 59 (3,481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2014 7:56:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

maxwellsbp wrote:

You just signed up last night, haven't installed yet, but have had nothing but trouble? 

maxwellsbp wrote:

You just signed up last night, haven't installed yet, but have had nothing but trouble? 

38 of 59 (3,477 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 3:12:52 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'm having the same issues.  Too many troubleshooting steps have been done to repeat them here.  I've had an inside tech here three times and an outside tech three times.  Modem has been replaced twice.  I replaced all cables involved multiple times.  AT&T has checked the wiring, found an issue with it and fixed it.  No difference with Netflix, however.  If I use my smartphone as a hotspot, I can stream in HD to my hearts content.  Since this issue has been going on at least two months, I'm going to be dropping my U-verse service.

I'm having the same issues.  Too many troubleshooting steps have been done to repeat them here.  I've had an inside tech here three times and an outside tech three times.  Modem has been replaced twice.  I replaced all cables involved multiple times.  AT&T has checked the wiring, found an issue with it and fixed it.  No difference with Netflix, however.  If I use my smartphone as a hotspot, I can stream in HD to my hearts content.  Since this issue has been going on at least two months, I'm going to be dropping my U-verse service.

39 of 59 (3,429 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2014 12:38:13 PM
(0)
Teacher

As a follow-up to my previous post, I ordered Charter cable internet last week and, after using it a week, it has been working great and I am having none of the issues that I have with U-verse. Time to cancel U-verse. FYI, I am in Madison, WI for those in the area with the same problems.

As a follow-up to my previous post, I ordered Charter cable internet last week and, after using it a week, it has been working great and I am having none of the issues that I have with U-verse. Time to cancel U-verse. FYI, I am in Madison, WI for those in the area with the same problems.

40 of 59 (3,378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 11:37:54 AM
(0)
Teacher

NetFlix (you say) uses 1/3 of the internet traffic. I can see that as leaching on AT&T's infrastructure.

Here's the irony: The only reason most of us are paying for more than basic internet speed is NetFlix.

Without NetFlix I couldn't care less when I see speed advertised for an internet provider.

Perhaps it is the case that the only reason AT&T has 1/3 of it's business is because of NetFlix. Smiley Frustrated  Think of it that way.

As a more practical matter:

I don't think most of us know what a CDN is.  And suggestions are offered here but It would be great to have a 'how to' list to be able to try these things.

Use a VPN? I have no idea?

Change DNS Settings. I think I know how to do that but change to what?

Why doesn't AT&T save itself some trouble and just ask, "Hey, are you primarily interested in getting good NetFlix?" Then provide a standard setup geared towards that.

NetFlix (you say) uses 1/3 of the internet traffic. I can see that as leaching on AT&T's infrastructure.

Here's the irony: The only reason most of us are paying for more than basic internet speed is NetFlix.

Without NetFlix I couldn't care less when I see speed advertised for an internet provider.

Perhaps it is the case that the only reason AT&T has 1/3 of it's business is because of NetFlix. Smiley Frustrated  Think of it that way.

As a more practical matter:

I don't think most of us know what a CDN is.  And suggestions are offered here but It would be great to have a 'how to' list to be able to try these things.

Use a VPN? I have no idea?

Change DNS Settings. I think I know how to do that but change to what?

Why doesn't AT&T save itself some trouble and just ask, "Hey, are you primarily interested in getting good NetFlix?" Then provide a standard setup geared towards that.

41 of 59 (3,358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 11:45:12 AM
(0)
Teacher

And, as I've said earlier, I have the super-premium... and last Saturday night, the supposedly HD movie looked like it was shot on a 1980's cell phone and it kept stopping to restream.

So if NetFlix costs AT&T more in infrastructure, pass it on to the customer. There is no way it is ethical to  charge me a premium for high-bandwidth and also selectively choke NetFlix to where it doesn't matter if I have your lowest cost bandwidth. At least choke it on a sliding scale!

And, as I've said earlier, I have the super-premium... and last Saturday night, the supposedly HD movie looked like it was shot on a 1980's cell phone and it kept stopping to restream.

So if NetFlix costs AT&T more in infrastructure, pass it on to the customer. There is no way it is ethical to  charge me a premium for high-bandwidth and also selectively choke NetFlix to where it doesn't matter if I have your lowest cost bandwidth. At least choke it on a sliding scale!

42 of 59 (3,357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 12:00:53 PM
(0)
Explorer
This is my opinion based on my testing and research I've done since April 2013 to Present. It is merely an opinion nothing more, nothing less.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“While they call it ‘Open Connect,’ Netflix is actually closing off access to some of its content while seeking unprecedented preferential treatment from ISPs.”

I believe it is wrong for Netflix to withhold any content formats from my ISP and the subscribers of many other ISPs.

On 9/26/2013 Netflix made this announcement:

"All Netflix members, regardless of their Internet service provider (ISP), now have access to the highest quality HD streams available on Netflix. This means that the great TV shows and movies on Netflix will look even better on HD screens with a higher bit rate stream, Super HD, that applies less compression to the 1080p image."

Yet Netflix also said this:

"Netflix uses 'adaptive streaming' to dynamically adjust the video quality based on the available bandwidth. This means that the ability to receive Super HD depends on broadband quality and performance. Netflix members who subscribe to an ISP with a direct Netflix connection will get the best experience."

Customers whose ISPs choose not to participate with Netflix Open Connect are routinely unable to watch HD (720p, 1080p) by a large margin during prime time. "The best experience" HD Video can only be viewed the customers whose ISP participate with Open Connect. Netflix should place this disclaimer concerning their services in their advertising and service contracts. "If your ISP does not use Open Connect you may not be able to view HD content during Pime Time viewing".

Netflix services have become totally worthless and users are unable to view in HD (720p, 1080p) or even SD (480p) during Prime time (6pm - 1am, 7 days a week). Resolution during these times is worst than 480i VHS quality. As many users including myself who only watch HD (720p, 1080p), watching DVDs (480p), VHS tapes (480i) , or 480i Broadcast TV is history.

Netflix is aware of this. Netflix is diverting and/or traffic shaping all streaming data during prime time to all customers who subscribe to an ISP which does not use Netflix Open Connect to prevent the inadequate numbers of CDNs from crashing.

This has become a disaster since September 2013 when "Netflix made Super HD available to everyone" with "The best experience for those whose ISP use Open Connect" instead of increasing the numbers of regional Open Connect CDNs to everyone without ISP intervention. It is not the responsibility of an Internet Service Provider to improve the Netflix experience. It is a Netflix Content Delivery responsibility.

My Fiber Optic 12Mbps bandwidth package is 99% stable, 11.7 Mbps with 0-1% variance over a 2GB random download when testing during prime time and 24 hrs/day. All 5 of my other 1080p subscription services (Vudu, HBO GO, M Go, Amazon, Hulu) are perfect.

If the stream is not 720p or 1080p it is not HD. If the stream is 720p or higher it is technically HD. At the present time Blu Ray 1080p 24fps is the highest quality HD resolution widely available to consumers. Many devices can play only at 30fps. A human's vision has finite capabilities without retinal and lens enhancements. Depending on screen size and distance from the screen most humans without perfect color and distance vision and perfect screen color, gamma, contrast, brightness and pixel pitch will notice very minor differences if at all between 720p 30fps and 1080p 30fps.

The differences between 720p/1080p and 480p and lower are remarkable.

Netflix is blaming the ISPs. It is not the ISPs traffic shaping/throttling, bottle necks, congestion, etc. It is Netflix CDN overload.

Regardless of who is responsible, it is a Netflix problem. The top 4 ISPs in North America serve 80% of all internet users and do not and will not opt in to the Netflix Open Connect CDN "deal".

My colleagues and I want to continue to enjoy Netflix viewing in HD, 720p and/or 1080p not 260i, 360i, 480i or 480p.
This is my opinion based on my testing and research I've done since April 2013 to Present. It is merely an opinion nothing more, nothing less.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“While they call it ‘Open Connect,’ Netflix is actually closing off access to some of its content while seeking unprecedented preferential treatment from ISPs.”

I believe it is wrong for Netflix to withhold any content formats from my ISP and the subscribers of many other ISPs.

On 9/26/2013 Netflix made this announcement:

"All Netflix members, regardless of their Internet service provider (ISP), now have access to the highest quality HD streams available on Netflix. This means that the great TV shows and movies on Netflix will look even better on HD screens with a higher bit rate stream, Super HD, that applies less compression to the 1080p image."

Yet Netflix also said this:

"Netflix uses 'adaptive streaming' to dynamically adjust the video quality based on the available bandwidth. This means that the ability to receive Super HD depends on broadband quality and performance. Netflix members who subscribe to an ISP with a direct Netflix connection will get the best experience."

Customers whose ISPs choose not to participate with Netflix Open Connect are routinely unable to watch HD (720p, 1080p) by a large margin during prime time. "The best experience" HD Video can only be viewed the customers whose ISP participate with Open Connect. Netflix should place this disclaimer concerning their services in their advertising and service contracts. "If your ISP does not use Open Connect you may not be able to view HD content during Pime Time viewing".

Netflix services have become totally worthless and users are unable to view in HD (720p, 1080p) or even SD (480p) during Prime time (6pm - 1am, 7 days a week). Resolution during these times is worst than 480i VHS quality. As many users including myself who only watch HD (720p, 1080p), watching DVDs (480p), VHS tapes (480i) , or 480i Broadcast TV is history.

Netflix is aware of this. Netflix is diverting and/or traffic shaping all streaming data during prime time to all customers who subscribe to an ISP which does not use Netflix Open Connect to prevent the inadequate numbers of CDNs from crashing.

This has become a disaster since September 2013 when "Netflix made Super HD available to everyone" with "The best experience for those whose ISP use Open Connect" instead of increasing the numbers of regional Open Connect CDNs to everyone without ISP intervention. It is not the responsibility of an Internet Service Provider to improve the Netflix experience. It is a Netflix Content Delivery responsibility.

My Fiber Optic 12Mbps bandwidth package is 99% stable, 11.7 Mbps with 0-1% variance over a 2GB random download when testing during prime time and 24 hrs/day. All 5 of my other 1080p subscription services (Vudu, HBO GO, M Go, Amazon, Hulu) are perfect.

If the stream is not 720p or 1080p it is not HD. If the stream is 720p or higher it is technically HD. At the present time Blu Ray 1080p 24fps is the highest quality HD resolution widely available to consumers. Many devices can play only at 30fps. A human's vision has finite capabilities without retinal and lens enhancements. Depending on screen size and distance from the screen most humans without perfect color and distance vision and perfect screen color, gamma, contrast, brightness and pixel pitch will notice very minor differences if at all between 720p 30fps and 1080p 30fps.

The differences between 720p/1080p and 480p and lower are remarkable.

Netflix is blaming the ISPs. It is not the ISPs traffic shaping/throttling, bottle necks, congestion, etc. It is Netflix CDN overload.

Regardless of who is responsible, it is a Netflix problem. The top 4 ISPs in North America serve 80% of all internet users and do not and will not opt in to the Netflix Open Connect CDN "deal".

My colleagues and I want to continue to enjoy Netflix viewing in HD, 720p and/or 1080p not 260i, 360i, 480i or 480p.

43 of 59 (3,350 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 2:46:30 PM
(0)
Explorer
The only poor "Internet service during peak hours" in my experience has been and is with Netflix only. Never HBO GO, Amazon, Hulu Plus, Vudu, M GO, or Directv On Demand internet downloads (with instant play from the DVR recording as soon as download begins with no pauses in playing to allow the download to catch up with the playing).

Also as if magically within 5 mintutes +- of 0100 hrs CST Netflix ramps up to a bit rate of 5800 which is there Super HD. All other HD streaming services play 1080p out of the gate 24/7.

Here is the best Netlix on screen title with real on screen playing time bit rate, resolution, and screen ratio: [ Example Short 23.976 ], just type it in the Neflix search and add to your queue/list. It runs for 10 minutes. You may want to mute the sound while viewing the data.
The only poor "Internet service during peak hours" in my experience has been and is with Netflix only. Never HBO GO, Amazon, Hulu Plus, Vudu, M GO, or Directv On Demand internet downloads (with instant play from the DVR recording as soon as download begins with no pauses in playing to allow the download to catch up with the playing).

Also as if magically within 5 mintutes +- of 0100 hrs CST Netflix ramps up to a bit rate of 5800 which is there Super HD. All other HD streaming services play 1080p out of the gate 24/7.

Here is the best Netlix on screen title with real on screen playing time bit rate, resolution, and screen ratio: [ Example Short 23.976 ], just type it in the Neflix search and add to your queue/list. It runs for 10 minutes. You may want to mute the sound while viewing the data.

44 of 59 (3,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2014 9:51:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by oufanindallas on Feb 14, 2014 at 9:53:55 AM

So, it's only AT&T that is having issues with Netflix, think again.  Comcast users are complaining just as much.

Here is an entire list of ISPs whose users have complained about Netflix.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

So, it's only AT&T that is having issues with Netflix, think again.  Comcast users are complaining just as much.

Here is an entire list of ISPs whose users have complained about Netflix.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

[ Edited ]
45 of 59 (3,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2014 8:19:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

46 of 59 (3,210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2014 8:23:27 PM
(0)
Tutor
Umm, I pay for my internet and Netflix pays for theirs. So why does AT&T need to be paid again? I never thought about going back to charter because they were a terrible company years ago. AT&T seems to want to do worse for whatever reason. And you my friend sound like a shill for them. Do you work for them, or do you just pretend to be this dumb for free?
Umm, I pay for my internet and Netflix pays for theirs. So why does AT&T need to be paid again? I never thought about going back to charter because they were a terrible company years ago. AT&T seems to want to do worse for whatever reason. And you my friend sound like a shill for them. Do you work for them, or do you just pretend to be this dumb for free?

47 of 59 (3,209 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2014 8:49:09 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Feb 22, 2014 at 9:13:39 PM

Why is it against the isp to request they upgrade their infrastructure? What about the $200 billion tax payers give in the 90s that was never used by the telecom industry to update infrastructure but instead pocketed.

Netflix pays a lot for a lot of bandwidth. AT&T and similar isps are simply holding the users at the last mile hostage and demanding services like Netflix pay for access to "their" (AT&T) customers. It's extortion plain and simple. This despite services like Netflix making high bandwidth services, you know, useful and worth paying for. FCC needs to get control again to bring back net neutrality. Google fiber please save us! God help me for thinking of charter again!

[Please keep it courteous]

Why is it against the isp to request they upgrade their infrastructure? What about the $200 billion tax payers give in the 90s that was never used by the telecom industry to update infrastructure but instead pocketed.

Netflix pays a lot for a lot of bandwidth. AT&T and similar isps are simply holding the users at the last mile hostage and demanding services like Netflix pay for access to "their" (AT&T) customers. It's extortion plain and simple. This despite services like Netflix making high bandwidth services, you know, useful and worth paying for. FCC needs to get control again to bring back net neutrality. Google fiber please save us! God help me for thinking of charter again!

[ Edited ]
48 of 59 (3,205 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 3:20:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Jsull wrote:

No, actually they pay very little, they use a company called Cogent to carry their traffic.  Netflix wants ISPs to upgrade their equipment so that they can all use open connect which gives them direct access to an ISPs network.  This is one area where I actually think Comcast and Netflix are both going to benefit and when other ISPs sign similar deals everyone will be happy.  

And if you think Charter is any better you are sadly mistaken. You obviously haven't been keeping up with current events.  EVERY provider has had complaints about Netflix streaming. 

I've posted it before, but here you go

Jsull wrote:

No, actually they pay very little, they use a company called Cogent to carry their traffic.  Netflix wants ISPs to upgrade their equipment so that they can all use open connect which gives them direct access to an ISPs network.  This is one area where I actually think Comcast and Netflix are both going to benefit and when other ISPs sign similar deals everyone will be happy.  

And if you think Charter is any better you are sadly mistaken. You obviously haven't been keeping up with current events.  EVERY provider has had complaints about Netflix streaming. 

I've posted it before, but here you go

49 of 59 (3,116 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2014 8:51:10 AM
(0)
Contributor

Sorry to thread necro, but in case anyone is getting excited about possible throttling issues being resolved by the new Gigapower service, I can confirm they will not.

I've been on the Gigapower service here in Austin for several months now, and my Netflix streaming buffers or flips to SD constantly. My speedtests all confirm a 300mbps down connection, yet I'm seeing horrible Netflix performance.

I don't really care who wants more money from who. I care about the end result I am paying for. When I use a land line, my data travels through several providers. Providers which pay to use each other's copper and do not throttle calls from another state or business. When I get power, my power travels through the grids of many different providers. I do not care that California may use a large percentage more of the electrical bandwidth then Nebraska. I care that I pay my power provider and in turn they provide a service without discrimination for the power traffic across the network.

See where I'm going? This is horrible service, and I realize I'm lucky to have Gigabit options here in Austin, so I'll be exercising those options as soon as my 1 year contract is up. With all the he-said/she-said between ATT and Netflix, all I know for a fact is that Google Fiber customers in Kansas City and Grande Communications customers here in town with Gigabit service have had zero complaints with throttling.

It is a choice ATT made, and not one I agree with. I would love to stick with ATT if they choose a different path in the next few months, but barring that unlikely scenario, consumer choice will win the day. ATT chose poorly.

Sorry to thread necro, but in case anyone is getting excited about possible throttling issues being resolved by the new Gigapower service, I can confirm they will not.

I've been on the Gigapower service here in Austin for several months now, and my Netflix streaming buffers or flips to SD constantly. My speedtests all confirm a 300mbps down connection, yet I'm seeing horrible Netflix performance.

I don't really care who wants more money from who. I care about the end result I am paying for. When I use a land line, my data travels through several providers. Providers which pay to use each other's copper and do not throttle calls from another state or business. When I get power, my power travels through the grids of many different providers. I do not care that California may use a large percentage more of the electrical bandwidth then Nebraska. I care that I pay my power provider and in turn they provide a service without discrimination for the power traffic across the network.

See where I'm going? This is horrible service, and I realize I'm lucky to have Gigabit options here in Austin, so I'll be exercising those options as soon as my 1 year contract is up. With all the he-said/she-said between ATT and Netflix, all I know for a fact is that Google Fiber customers in Kansas City and Grande Communications customers here in town with Gigabit service have had zero complaints with throttling.

It is a choice ATT made, and not one I agree with. I would love to stick with ATT if they choose a different path in the next few months, but barring that unlikely scenario, consumer choice will win the day. ATT chose poorly.

50 of 59 (2,754 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2014 10:14:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
@atxgiga 
atxgiga wrote:

Currently only Comcast and Verizon have signed contracts with Netflix for better streaming.  So, unless you are also served by one of those two providers it will not be any better.

@atxgiga 
atxgiga wrote:

Currently only Comcast and Verizon have signed contracts with Netflix for better streaming.  So, unless you are also served by one of those two providers it will not be any better.

51 of 59 (2,745 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2014 4:55:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

One simple solution is to buy an AppleTV to stream NetFlix.  Apple provides their own CDN and wants you to have "the best experience" so AppleTV's stream Netflix from the Apple servers and do not have the quality degradation you are complaining about.  Suddenly your NetFlix will stream in HD with fewer buffering issues.  

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

One simple solution is to buy an AppleTV to stream NetFlix.  Apple provides their own CDN and wants you to have "the best experience" so AppleTV's stream Netflix from the Apple servers and do not have the quality degradation you are complaining about.  Suddenly your NetFlix will stream in HD with fewer buffering issues.  

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

52 of 59 (2,734 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2014 7:26:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

Interestingly enough, I am streaming Netflix via AppleTV over my GigaPower service. So by that rationale I shouln't be having any problems. I've clearly got the bandwidth, according to you I have the CDN, so what gives?

What doesn't add up is my AppleTV Netflix issues are mirrored on all of my devices. Browser streaming, tablet, phone, etc. 

It doesn't seem to matter if my devices are wireless (where I could see a bottleneck) or wired. any thoughts?

Interestingly enough, I am streaming Netflix via AppleTV over my GigaPower service. So by that rationale I shouln't be having any problems. I've clearly got the bandwidth, according to you I have the CDN, so what gives?

What doesn't add up is my AppleTV Netflix issues are mirrored on all of my devices. Browser streaming, tablet, phone, etc. 

It doesn't seem to matter if my devices are wireless (where I could see a bottleneck) or wired. any thoughts?

53 of 59 (2,726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2014 8:17:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

GeekBoy wrote:

Not quite true, regardless of which device you use to stream Netflix, it still has to come into your house by your ISP so while it may have blazing speed, the last mile would still experience the bottle neck.

GeekBoy wrote:

Not quite true, regardless of which device you use to stream Netflix, it still has to come into your house by your ISP so while it may have blazing speed, the last mile would still experience the bottle neck.

54 of 59 (2,721 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2014 4:02:48 PM
(1)
Contributor

55 of 59 (1,830 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2015 4:40:17 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have been trying to fix my parents streaming issues since december of 2014.  They use ATT.  We have upgraded their router, their modem, and their speed.  It still does not work. And it is not just Netflix.  Amazon prime stopped 10 times while watching transformers.  This was started in 2014 and now it is august of 2015 and the problem still exists.  I personally am on charter for internet, and I had the issues for a bit, but now I rarely have the issues.  What was supposed to be a nice one year subscription gift and a blue ray gift has become a nightmare for my parents and they just want to end it all.  No streaming, no internet nothing.  the money and time we have put into this issue has been extreme and I am so frustrated to see that it has not been fixed from more then a year ago.  Seroiusly ATT you need to get it together.  Not only did you not fix the problem, but you tried to get my parents to pay more for different routers.  In trying to say it isn't your fault, we were directed to call Belkin.  And of course I got the stupid indian companies that ask to get on your computer and fix the issue.  Now I have to pay another $75 to take my parents computer in and have it fixed from the scam.  Imagine if you would have just fixed the issue, that again, is NOT just Netflix, it is all of the streaming, and we can't even connect to their internet via wireless on our phones or tablets.  Shame on you for being as stupid as Dish network in not wanting to do what is right for your customers.  If you lose my parents as a business, they will be taking their entire bundle with them.  Horrible that this is still an issue, and that it has taken me 8 months and hundreds of dollars trying to fix this.  Unbelievable.  Jesserehmer, I wonder if you ever went back to charter?  We are in northern nevada.  

I have been trying to fix my parents streaming issues since december of 2014.  They use ATT.  We have upgraded their router, their modem, and their speed.  It still does not work. And it is not just Netflix.  Amazon prime stopped 10 times while watching transformers.  This was started in 2014 and now it is august of 2015 and the problem still exists.  I personally am on charter for internet, and I had the issues for a bit, but now I rarely have the issues.  What was supposed to be a nice one year subscription gift and a blue ray gift has become a nightmare for my parents and they just want to end it all.  No streaming, no internet nothing.  the money and time we have put into this issue has been extreme and I am so frustrated to see that it has not been fixed from more then a year ago.  Seroiusly ATT you need to get it together.  Not only did you not fix the problem, but you tried to get my parents to pay more for different routers.  In trying to say it isn't your fault, we were directed to call Belkin.  And of course I got the stupid indian companies that ask to get on your computer and fix the issue.  Now I have to pay another $75 to take my parents computer in and have it fixed from the scam.  Imagine if you would have just fixed the issue, that again, is NOT just Netflix, it is all of the streaming, and we can't even connect to their internet via wireless on our phones or tablets.  Shame on you for being as stupid as Dish network in not wanting to do what is right for your customers.  If you lose my parents as a business, they will be taking their entire bundle with them.  Horrible that this is still an issue, and that it has taken me 8 months and hundreds of dollars trying to fix this.  Unbelievable.  Jesserehmer, I wonder if you ever went back to charter?  We are in northern nevada.  

56 of 59 (782 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2015 11:39:24 AM
(0)
Voyager

I'd like to thank the original poster "jesserehmer" and the early respondent "JefferMC" for the detailed and facts based exchange earlier in this long thread.  I felt like they were teasing apart the knot fairly well there early on and then things devolved into ad hominem attacks by folks joining in and posting to release steam.

Apart from the VPN suggestions, is there no other "hack" on our Uverse home network settings we can try to overcome our buggy Netflix performance?

I'm using Apple TV, one wired and one wireless, and the only performance issues I have are with Netflix and none of the other streaming video options.

I'd like to thank the original poster "jesserehmer" and the early respondent "JefferMC" for the detailed and facts based exchange earlier in this long thread.  I felt like they were teasing apart the knot fairly well there early on and then things devolved into ad hominem attacks by folks joining in and posting to release steam.

Apart from the VPN suggestions, is there no other "hack" on our Uverse home network settings we can try to overcome our buggy Netflix performance?

I'm using Apple TV, one wired and one wireless, and the only performance issues I have are with Netflix and none of the other streaming video options.

57 of 59 (561 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2015 11:51:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Scholar

I had the same problem with Vudu that you are having with netflix.  I was told by Vudu to change the server to the google server 8888.  After I made the change everything worked with no buffering.  However I have never had a problem with Netflix.  I am not an expert but that seemed to do the trick.

I had the same problem with Vudu that you are having with netflix.  I was told by Vudu to change the server to the google server 8888.  After I made the change everything worked with no buffering.  However I have never had a problem with Netflix.  I am not an expert but that seemed to do the trick.

58 of 59 (559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2015 3:07:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Toltec21 wrote:

Some customers have found relief by changing the DNS server in the configuration of their device.  Sometimes using another DNS server (e.g. google's at 8.8.8.8) will cause you to access a different area of the CDN resulting in less congestion along the route.  This may be a temporary solution or not a solution at all.

Toltec21 wrote:

Some customers have found relief by changing the DNS server in the configuration of their device.  Sometimes using another DNS server (e.g. google's at 8.8.8.8) will cause you to access a different area of the CDN resulting in less congestion along the route.  This may be a temporary solution or not a solution at all.

59 of 59 (532 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments