Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 20, 2013
5:25:40 AM
View profile
Shut down boxes

I am gone 4 days out of the week I have three boxes.

Is it ok to shut them down completely while I am gone

I am gone 4 days out of the week I have three boxes.

Is it ok to shut them down completely while I am gone

Accepted Solution

Shut down boxes

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2013 5:51:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
shoe - I can think of only three little disadvantages -
No recordings while off.
Cannot schedule recordings while off
Time to reboot on startup

Would you watch something else during the four days?? Replace that with a slingbox.
shoe - I can think of only three little disadvantages -
No recordings while off.
Cannot schedule recordings while off
Time to reboot on startup

Would you watch something else during the four days?? Replace that with a slingbox.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Shut down boxes

2 of 7 (462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2013 6:06:33 AM
(0)
Professor

I am trying to save on the electric bill my power company says these boxes are sucking me dry they say to shut down the TVs and the boxes What if I shut down the two upstairs and keep the main DVR on  then I will still get my recordings right?

I am trying to save on the electric bill my power company says these boxes are sucking me dry they say to shut down the TVs and the boxes What if I shut down the two upstairs and keep the main DVR on  then I will still get my recordings right?

3 of 7 (456 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2013 6:16:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

See this post from SJ about power consumption: http://forums.att.com/t5/Receivers-Battery-Backup/U-Verse-and-Electric-Bill/m-p/2660907#M47689

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 7 (449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2013 6:21:50 AM
(0)
Professor

Interesting

Interesting

5 of 7 (445 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 20, 2013 6:22:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Sep 20, 2013 at 6:34:48 AM

shoe - To get the recordings you need to leave on both the RG & DVR. All TVs & all other STBs could be turned off.

You can get a wattage meter to measure & calculate exact amount. My library loans them. Perhaps the power company does too. I bought one cheap at Costco.

A major saving would be to replace incandescent bulbs with LED, but the cost of the bulbs is high. My in-laws had a free audit & were given some free LED bulbs.

Is your question the result of an audit?? The cost/savings of the sleeping boxes may be over stated. Get a meter & be sure.

shoe - To get the recordings you need to leave on both the RG & DVR. All TVs & all other STBs could be turned off.

You can get a wattage meter to measure & calculate exact amount. My library loans them. Perhaps the power company does too. I bought one cheap at Costco.

A major saving would be to replace incandescent bulbs with LED, but the cost of the bulbs is high. My in-laws had a free audit & were given some free LED bulbs.

Is your question the result of an audit?? The cost/savings of the sleeping boxes may be over stated. Get a meter & be sure.

[ Edited ]
6 of 7 (444 Views)
Solution
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2013 6:25:12 AM
(0)
Professor
Thanks