Need help with your equipment?
anzec's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, December 12th, 2013 10:36 PM

Setting up static ip on Motorola NVG589

HI everybody, I purchased a package of 5 static ip to see my ip cameras outside the home network, i know my static ip numbers, but i dont know how to set up the router Motorola NVG589 to link these ip.

Can someone pls help me?

Thanks and regards.

Christian

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I just switched over to Uverse with a NVG589 Router.  I also purchased 5 static IP addresses and need help configuring the router.  This link: http://forums.att.com/t5/U-verse-Internet-Service/Static-IP-Setup-3600-3800-3801/td-p/3607065 does not give instructions for the NVG589 Router.  Please help!

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Did either of you get answers? I have the same question. 🙂

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I recently moved my service from Houston to Austin. After the move, my static IPs no longer work. I've configured the NVG589 per tech support instructions. If I have my device get an IP address from the private pool (192.168.1.*) everything works fine (but the device does not have a publicly visible IP address). When I switch to the public pool, the device gets a public address, but cannot route to the outside. I've turned off all firewalling, no joy. Nada. And the only further answer that tech support has is to call ConnecTech and spend more money, which I don't think I should have to do, nevermind the fact that at this point I have no confidence that they can fix the problem, either.

It seems obvious to me that something broke when they moved me from Houston to Austin, but no one at ATT Uverse seems to have a clue what could possibly be wrong.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi building39,

We have received your message and look forward to working with you to resolve this issue.

-David T

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

And the solution is???

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Setting up the static is pretty straight forward, but the reliability of inbound connections is horrible.  I've had U-Verse and DSL for a very long time, and been rock solid (READ NO DROPPED CONNECTIONS or UNAVAILABLE PUBLIC IP INBOUND TRAFFIC).  The INID failed, and they replaced it with this NVG589.  Ever since, I get blocky TV, and lots of dropped/missed inbound connections.  (smtp, ssh, http, voip etc...).  I have an asterisk server and get multiple dropped calls where inbound connections cant reach me.  Never happened before with the 2Wire.  NEVER.

ConnecTech is worthless.  I spent 8+ hours on the phone the other day with them (tier 1 and 2) and Uverse 1st and 2nd level and nobody knew how to configure this modem.  I was blown away.  It's running as good as it is on my own. but very very very disatisfied.  I want my 2Wire/INID setup back...

I don't understand how they make the link from the outside world to your modem IP.  The 2Wire, you used to put in your account name/password and it would communicate with the ATT servers that dished out the static to your modem and create that route in the U-Verse Cloud.  This modem, you just put in your netblock/netmask and IP (last -1) in your netblock as the modem IP and I thats it.  I think with the new setup they poll the entire network looking for a modem that responds to your IP, and the inbound times out before your modem can respond.  There is nothing stopping you from just putting in any netblock, nothing ties your account to the modem.

The other beef, is that the firewall is useless.  The firewall should let you open ports to the public static IP's but it doesn't, I think its a bug in the software, it will only let you select the private 192.168.1.* IP's which by definition are NOT accessible directly from the outside.  makes no sense.  The menu doesn't even offer you the public address to block ports, so your only iption is to select the one menu item in the public IP block setup, that says the public addresses are fully exposed to the net.  NOT GOOD.

It's like they slammed this into production without anyone actually trying it out, or training the U-Verse support or ConnecTech folks.  I found the administration manual (271 pages) on the net, and it wasn't much help either. 

Mentor

• 

70 Messages

10 years ago

They want to move me from a 3801 to a 589 and I'm worried for the same reason.  I have static IPs and on the 3801 have them setup to bypass the firewall completely (I have firewalls for the servers separately.)

My question is this -- can you get the 3801-like functionality on the 589?  Meaning, I want the device to recognize static IPs I have assigned to the servers that sit in the block, and I don't want the 589 to hand them out over DHCP.  Further, I want their firewall out of the way for the static IPs.  I can do this on the 3801, but I can't seem to understand how this is done on a 589.

Do you have any information on this?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.