Need help with your equipment?
cota348jb's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, July 15th, 2016 12:51 AM

Setting up a Pace 5268AC with an Asus RT-AC3100

I bought the AC3100 to upgrade my wireless gaming capabilities, but keep getting errors about the wan. Is there step by step setup information?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

You can see the solution in this thread, which will tell you how to set up your AC3100 as a router.  If you'd rather just use it as an access point, see post 13 in this thread.

The difference between using it as a router or as an access point is all about whether or not you want your router performing network functions such as NAT instead of the U-verse Gateway or even features that the Gateway doesn't have (UPnP, time of day or bandwidth limits, etc.).

If you set it up as a router, you'll want all your non-U-verse-TV devices to connect through the AC3100 (leaving any U-verse IPTV gear connected to the 5268ac).

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

I have the same setup, a new 5268ac modem and a new AC3100 router. I simply followd the ASUS 'Fast, Easy, Setup!' guide and watched an ASUS install video.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/PCE-AC88/Q11075_PCE_AC88_QSG.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8HjIJf7joY

However, the 3100 is'nt covering my 1500sq ft single story house much better than the 5268 was. For example, my 2.4Ghz Ring doorbell at my front door, about 50ft away from the modem still gets a weak wi-fi signal using the 3100.

Installing the 3100 was easy, maybe too easy. Was I supposed to shut off the 5268's wi-fi since that will be the job of the 3100? Are there other settings I need to adjust to get the 3100 to extend the signal farther

Thanks!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

I also have this exact same setup and cannot get wifi speeds over 150 Mbps on 2.4 or 5Ghz with absolutely no interference. What speeds do you get?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Whats up guys, hoping we can get this thread going again!!

I have the same issue with the PACE5268 modem/router/gateway.

I got sick of the router inside of the modem and opted to by my own Asus RT-1900 to use as my NAT and WAP.

upon a lot of digging and youtube videos i still cant seem to find the answer. A lot of blogs/forums and even ATT customer support told me that they do not support function of 3rd party routers which means ATT is becoming proprietary. You havent been able to use your own modem either for some years. On the phone, they said that it was possible to use 3rd party routers BUT, they were going to charge me $15/month for tech support just so they could allow me to use my own router because: "they have to set it up inside and take control of your settings"

I dont believe that to be true.

Ive set up a static IP to the gateway and another to my router and turned off all the wifi settings in the PACE. Now, since there is NO bridge mode for this gateway, i was getting a double-NAT on my networks which was slowing everything down considerably. 

I even watch a video to click on router-behind-router detection but ended up having to set it back to default because i was not able to get internet via wifi or hardline. 

Do i need to put the Asus inside of the DMZ or is it the PACE that needs to be in the DMZ? ive tried looking at IP passthroughs but am a little confused. 

If anyone has step-by-step instructions on how to hook up a router to the current ATT PACE5268 gigabit gateway/router, please share!!!

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

6 years ago

AT&T does not provide [free] support for 3rd party routers.  It's not that they don't support [allow] their use, it's just that they won't help you get them configured.  You basically have two options: (1) treat your router as an access point, which is fine if you only want better Wi-Fi coverage, or (2) set your router up as a router, which gives you better Wi-Fi coverage and will allow you to use Router features, such as UPnP, time of date or IP based restrictions, etc.

Assuming you're trying to do #2, then, yes, assign your router as the DMZplus device in the 5268.  I would suggest you set up the LAN DHCP pool on your router to use something other than 192.168.1.xxx (192.168.2.xxx is fine).

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Exactly the answer I needed. Amazing. Thank you! 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.