For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
lindee3479's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, March 24th, 2012 5:51 PM

Setting up Cisco Router behind the AT&T 3801HGV Router

Before I got new U-Verse service (Internet & TV) 2 weeks ago, I had a home network set up with a Cisco Linksys E2500 dual-band router.  I have a Dell desktop PC running Windows 7 and 10 wireless devices.

I followed another forum members directions pertaining to bridging the 2Wire router and the Cisco router, changing the IP address of the 2Wire router and turning off the wireless function.  I set these up so that the 2Wire router was behind the Cisco router.  Everything worked just the way I intended until today.

There was a power failure at my home yesterday from an outside source.  The 2Wire router and the Cisco router returned to their factory settings for the most part.

Now, I cannot change the 2Wire router's IP address.  I have tried it several times and cannot get the router to respond.  

There are other parts of the 2Wire router that will not let me change (system password)

Has there been  any system changes that would effct the 2Wire router?  Should I reset the 2Wire router to it's factory settings and start again?

Thank you for your help.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

See the following post for instructions to set up your own router using the DMZPlus feature:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2707755#M182

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks SomeJoe!....I canged one setting on my router and bam...all is good.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Opps...I think that I spoke to soon...basic services work - Internet, email, etc...but port 22 seems to be blocked and my home network relies on ssh for the ESXi server and my Linux machines.  Is there anyway around this?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I am also having issues hitting my machines via the Internet....?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

In at least some cases, inbound port 22 is blocked and reserved by AT&T for their equipment.

You can get around this in 2 ways:

1. Purchase static IPs instead of using DMZPlus. No inbound ports are blocked on static IPs.

2. Adjust the firewall on your router to have a pinhole with port translation. e.g. Inbound port 2222 to the outside IP gets forwarded to your ESXi server on port 22. Then, when you need to connect to the ESXi server's SSH port, just make a connection to your outside IP address on port 2222.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I ran a port scan last night...found out that most all ports are blocked...except 80 and 443...I can't connect internally or exteranlly....I may have to get static IPs...(which will be another set of stuff to deal with in terms of firewall, etc)  I am not sure that I would know how to set that up in terms of security, etc.  Most of my IT career I have dealt with NAT using a sigle IP and class C addresses....Any thoughts?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I have the same WRVS4400N and 3801HGV. I followed the instructions to a "T" in this post, http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2707755#M182,
and everything worked like a charm. BUT, all of a sudden, today the public IP that the 3801 was pushing to the cisco router was no longer there. and the router wont get it again, unless i do a hard reset. Is there some other setting i can set, either on the router, or the 3801? I'm a networking guy, but man these u-verse routers are a pain to deal with... stuck please help!!!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Note, here is my firmware for each.
3801HGV - 6.3.7.50-enh.tm
wrvs4400n - 2.0.2.1

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Hello,

I recently added my old Cisco/Linksys E1000 router behind my 3801HGV this weekend. The main purpose was to see if my wireless cameras would work because I could never get them to work directly off the U-Verse RG after reconfiguring and trying different things like MAC filtering. They would only work wired but not wirelessly.

My setup is nearly identical in that my E1000 is set to 192.168.2.1 now (instead of 1.1) When I first connected the WAN port of the Cisco E1000 to the LAN port of the U-Verser 3801 HGV, it could not be seen/detected. It was not until the IP address change that the U-Verse saw the Cisco and the Internet came back to the computer that was plugged into the Cisco (and another PC wirelessly connected to the Cisco).

My question is do I really need to enable this DMZ stuff many "router behind router" posts talk about and why? So far everything seems to work ok, internet access, VPN for work, etc and I have not noticed any problems. Unless there is stuff happening behind the scenes cluttering up the network.

Thanks,

Damon

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Hi sticksdkw,

You shouldn't need to use DMZ unless you do not wish to forward each port or range for whichever applications you are using. Many sites recommend DMZ only as because it allows for all communication and traffic. This could be viewed as a security hazard for businesses so from my perspective it is best to forward each range or port for the applications being used. DMZ is great, but as the meaning implies, it lacks enforcement of any kind.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.