For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
chris195811's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Saturday, July 20th, 2013 3:04 PM

Program Reminder

I use to be on Time Warner Cable and one thing I liked was that they had Program Reminder where you can be reminded of a program you want to watch. I used it all the time. Now I find myself forgetting a program I want to watch. Will Uverse be coming up with something like that?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

Perhaps they have not done it for the same reason there is no longer a place in your refrigerator to place the large block of ice, nor a hand crank on the front of your car.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

I'm not a programmer, I don't play one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but all these folks who claim it's an easy fix need to do the programming for Microsoft CE and see if they can come up with a better solution.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

10 years ago

@oufanindallas wrote:

I'm not a programmer, I don't play one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but all these folks who claim it's an easy fix need to do the programming for Microsoft CE and see if they can come up with a better solution.

Good point. If it was an easy fix, wouldn't it have been implemented years ago?

Here's my  thought: A standard box from Time Warner, Dish, Comcast, whoever, has tuner cards in it that "tune" to the channel when the appropriate button is pressed, right? This means that the channels are sent to the box all at once. It's my belief that AT&T works in the exact opposite way, that the channels are "stored" somewhere else and the box sends a signal to "call" for the channel once the buttons are pressed.

As others have said, with four HD streams, just record stuff and watch it via channel 9999 or the "Recorded TV" button 10-15 minutes after it started recording.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

@baseballisback wrote:

@oufanindallas wrote:

Good point. If it was an easy fix, wouldn't it have been implemented years ago?

Here's my  thought: A standard box from Time Warner, Dish, Comcast, whoever, has tuner cards in it that "tune" to the channel when the appropriate button is pressed, right? This means that the channels are sent to the box all at once. It's my belief that AT&T works in the exact opposite way, that the channels are "stored" somewhere else and the box sends a signal to "call" for the channel once the buttons are pressed.

As others have said, with four HD streams, just record stuff and watch it via channel 9999 or the "Recorded TV" button 10-15 minutes after it started recording.

That's a pretty good description of how it works.  The box knows what channels are available and when you attempt to tune one it starts a process to have that channel stream sent to the box.  When it no longer wants that channel, it cancels the stream.

However, this is more like a guide feature; the box has the program guide; you'd have to set the reminder on a program in the guide and the box would then have to store an time-based event to trigger when the time arrived.  I'm guessing that, other than the DVR, there's no provision in the box architecture to do anything on a prescribed time.

Added to this, would the event be only for the box that set the request, or all boxes?  If all boxes, would it not annoy other users?  If only one box, what happens if you move to another box after setting the event?

In any case, even the UX design is more complicated than most requesters have thought about.  And, again, is contrary to the freedom from apointment TV that the DVR grants you.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I was only looking for how to set a reminder for a show on Uverse and came accross this. I can't believe how, what appears to be the regulars that post here, think that recording a show is a solution and for one to think otherwise signifies that they are somehow behind the times or thier way of thinking is warped.

I was just going to come to the conclusion that you can't set a reminder and go on my way like probably thousands have but decided to post my veiw.

Recording a show is not even a remote solution or acceptable work around. The reminder is a convenience and from having service from 3 other cable providers and reading through the post,it appears that all other cable companies seem to see the value in this convenience.

If recording is a solution then so is watching it on the on demand portion of Uverse or looking for it on the internet and watching it there. If that is the case then why even have the guide button. I can just do everything on demand at my own time and convnience.

OH, I get it!!! Thanks for setting me straight. I now see that what I really need to do us dump Uverse and cable altogether get Netflix etc. then I won't need those reminders. I can just watch it on my own terms. I guess you are right, I am behind the times.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

8 years ago

I don't understand the following statement:  "Recording a show is not even a remote solution or acceptable work around" UNLESS you don't have a DVR. 

While I loved the 'reminder' feature of Comcast, it is certainly not a dealbreaker with Uverse.  Setting a recording neither indicates warped thinking or being behind the times (albeit I am old).

Let me offer a scenario:  DH finds that the movie "Bullitt" is on TCM at 3:00pm on a Thursday but he's at work.  It's not available On Demand and you can only watch TCM online live so we're back to square one.  Besides, why watch a movie on a computer moniter if you have a 60" HDTV?  Even if a reminder was an option, it would be useless.  The logical solution is to DVR it.

Reminders have their place and use and I do miss that feature but you can't say recording is useless.  That's crazy talk.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@Marlinmo   Guess you don't get it that if you record something, you can start watching an hour program about 20 mins in and zip thru all commerccials/promos.  You'll end just about the time the show ends that way too.

I abolutely hate watching anything live due to the commercials.  Love my DVR. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

8 years ago

@mibrnsurg wrote:

@Marlinmo   Guess you don't get it that if you record something, you can start watching an hour program about 20 mins in and zip thru all commerccials/promos.  You'll end just about the time the show ends that way too.

I abolutely hate watching anything live due to the commercials.  Love my DVR. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

That too!  It took one football season for DH to become a believer.  He sets the DVR, delays the start of his viewing and FFs thru the commercials. And what if there are 2 games on at the same time?  Reminders would prove useless.

Another perk of using the DVR, if you (or the cat) accidently changes the channel, you don't miss any of the programming.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

I record everything, I watch very little live TV but sometimes I do want a reminder that something is on so I don't forget to go to my DVR and watch it later. There are also some shows that even though I'm recording I like to live tweet...starting 20 minutes late doesn't exactly work for that. Not to mention when I have family visiting it's nice to have the reminder so that whomever has to go in the other room knows their show is starting. I've had pretty much every single cable company that's out there and every one had a reminder option except ATT. Uverse needs to add this feature!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

i think some people are missing the question. i came here for the same thing. i dont want to record the whole show i just want to be reminded that its coming on in case im watching something else. i thought i was doing something wrong then i realized that it just wasnt an option. i dont understand why it isnt anyway.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.