U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 1, 2011
11:56:57 AM
View profile
Press OK to watch U-Verse TV?

This has probably been answered a number of times, but forgive me, I haven't been able to find it. 

When I power up my TV, I get an annoying screen that says to press OK to watch TV.  I mean, I pressed the power button on the remote because I want to watch TV, so why am I being asked if I want to watch TV?  To me, watching U-Verse (on the last channel viewed) should be the default.

Kevin

This has probably been answered a number of times, but forgive me, I haven't been able to find it. 

When I power up my TV, I get an annoying screen that says to press OK to watch TV.  I mean, I pressed the power button on the remote because I want to watch TV, so why am I being asked if I want to watch TV?  To me, watching U-Verse (on the last channel viewed) should be the default.

Kevin

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 1, 2011 12:16:31 PM
(0)
Mentor

You got it ... The Press OK comes on after 4 hours of in activity (channel changes, info, guide, etc.) in the U-verse STB ...

Accepted Solution

Press OK to watch U-Verse TV?

29 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(29)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2011 12:03:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

When you press the POWER button on the U-verse remote, both your TV and U-verse DVR/STB should be turned on.  There should be no need to press OK to watch TV.

Please press the AT&T button on your remote, you may also need to change the batteries in your remote.

When you press the POWER button on the U-verse remote, both your TV and U-verse DVR/STB should be turned on.  There should be no need to press OK to watch TV.

Please press the AT&T button on your remote, you may also need to change the batteries in your remote.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Press OK to watch U-Verse TV?

2 of 30 (30,489 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 1, 2011 12:10:10 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by streittk on Mar 1, 2011 at 12:30:20 PM

Wait.  I think I see what's happening.  I'm probably using the wrong remote?  All this time (~2 months) I've been powering off the TVs with the TV remotes and leaving the U-verse boxes on.   So, this "Press OK" screen must come on like a screen saver after turning off the TV.

Wait.  I think I see what's happening.  I'm probably using the wrong remote?  All this time (~2 months) I've been powering off the TVs with the TV remotes and leaving the U-verse boxes on.   So, this "Press OK" screen must come on like a screen saver after turning off the TV.

[ Edited ]
3 of 30 (30,478 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 1, 2011 12:13:27 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Woof_1 on Mar 1, 2011 at 12:14:07 PM

When I power up my TV, I get an annoying screen that says to press OK to watch TVWhen I power up my TV, I get an annoying screen that says to press OK to watch TV

Like Texas notes, if you keep the remote set to AT&T (instead of TV) and press power then your U-verse STB and your TV will both power on. As such, you won't have to press power for the TV and then OK for the STB.

Likewise when you are watching TV and decide to turn it off pressing power will power off your TV and set the STB into a sort of sleep mode, which is what the bouncing Press OK to Watch U-Verse is ...

When I power up my TV, I get an annoying screen that says to press OK to watch TVWhen I power up my TV, I get an annoying screen that says to press OK to watch TV

Like Texas notes, if you keep the remote set to AT&T (instead of TV) and press power then your U-verse STB and your TV will both power on. As such, you won't have to press power for the TV and then OK for the STB.

Likewise when you are watching TV and decide to turn it off pressing power will power off your TV and set the STB into a sort of sleep mode, which is what the bouncing Press OK to Watch U-Verse is ...

[ Edited ]
4 of 30 (30,469 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 1, 2011 12:16:31 PM
(0)
Mentor

You got it ... The Press OK comes on after 4 hours of in activity (channel changes, info, guide, etc.) in the U-verse STB ...

5 of 30 (30,464 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2011 12:30:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

streittk wrote:

Wait.  I think I see what's happening.  I'm probably using the wrong remote?  All this time (~2 months) I've been powering off the TVs with the TV remotes and leaving the U-verse boxes on.   So, this "Press OK" screen must come on like a screen saver after turning of the TV.

You should be able to use the U-verse remote to power on and off both your TV and the U-verse DVR/STB.  You should not need to use your TV remote to operate your TV.

streittk wrote:

Wait.  I think I see what's happening.  I'm probably using the wrong remote?  All this time (~2 months) I've been powering off the TVs with the TV remotes and leaving the U-verse boxes on.   So, this "Press OK" screen must come on like a screen saver after turning of the TV.

You should be able to use the U-verse remote to power on and off both your TV and the U-verse DVR/STB.  You should not need to use your TV remote to operate your TV.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 30 (30,440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2011 12:33:09 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks for the replies.  It all makes sense now.

Thanks for the replies.  It all makes sense now.

7 of 30 (30,435 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2011 6:46:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Woof_1 wrote:

Actually its after 8 hours of inactivity.

Woof_1 wrote:

Actually its after 8 hours of inactivity.

8 of 30 (30,385 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2011 6:51:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Actually, per the U-verse support site it's 6 hours:

Your AT&T U-verse receiver will turn off automatically, after six hours of inactivity, to conserve energy.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401271#fbid=gDKYg85zB9H

Your AT&T U-verse receiver will turn off automatically, after six hours of inactivity, to conserve energy.

9 of 30 (30,379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2011 6:56:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I understand that but every night I turn off my tv and leave my stb on so that I can catch a news program within an hour after the program begins.  I turn the tv off at midnight and I push the info button.  At 7:45am I getup turn the tv on and the stb has not gone into standby mode.  So let's just say anywhere from 6 to 8 hours.  Just a thought.:smileywink:

I understand that but every night I turn off my tv and leave my stb on so that I can catch a news program within an hour after the program begins.  I turn the tv off at midnight and I push the info button.  At 7:45am I getup turn the tv on and the stb has not gone into standby mode.  So let's just say anywhere from 6 to 8 hours.  Just a thought.:smileywink:

10 of 30 (30,371 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2011 12:38:22 AM
(0)
Expert

I had an odd instance a month ago where the bedroom STB stayed on for 24 hrs., like in the old days--weird (but not for this house!).

I had an odd instance a month ago where the bedroom STB stayed on for 24 hrs., like in the old days--weird (but not for this house!).

11 of 30 (28,353 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2011 6:20:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Do you think it could have been E.T. or the Predator?

Do you think it could have been E.T. or the Predator?

12 of 30 (28,309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2011 8:56:58 PM
(0)
Scholar

The time seems to be variable - anywhere from a few minutes to all day. It is definitely not 4 hours or 6 hours or 8 hours, at least in my house.

The time seems to be variable - anywhere from a few minutes to all day. It is definitely not 4 hours or 6 hours or 8 hours, at least in my house.

13 of 30 (28,295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2011 10:27:31 PM
(0)
Professor

streittk wrote:

Kevin

Kevin, do you know you can sync your Uverse remote to your TV? That is unless you have a crappy TV e.g, Trutech from Target.

streittk wrote:

Kevin

Kevin, do you know you can sync your Uverse remote to your TV? That is unless you have a crappy TV e.g, Trutech from Target.

14 of 30 (28,284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2011 8:58:58 AM
(0)
Scholar

I too at times have to press the OK button after I turn on my receiver.

I too at times have to press the OK button after I turn on my receiver.

15 of 30 (28,255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2011 10:21:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

texasguy37 wrote:

I can verify in my house and on my DVR, it is exactly 8 hours.  That being said, I would like to toggle that "feature" off.

texasguy37 wrote:

I can verify in my house and on my DVR, it is exactly 8 hours.  That being said, I would like to toggle that "feature" off.

16 of 30 (28,241 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2011 8:38:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dhascall wrote:

texasguy37 wrote:

You and millions of other people.  IMO

dhascall wrote:

texasguy37 wrote:

You and millions of other people.  IMO

17 of 30 (28,220 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2011 1:17:27 AM
(0)
Expert

SomeJoe is working on that for us. :smileywink:

dhascall wrote:

SomeJoe is working on that for us. :smileywink:

dhascall wrote:

18 of 30 (28,203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2011 6:31:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

sssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh

sssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh

19 of 30 (28,162 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2011 5:43:27 AM
(0)
Teacher

We had our U-Verse installed yesterday.  On one of the TV's the blue screen with this message comes on every few minutes....how can I fix this??

We had our U-Verse installed yesterday.  On one of the TV's the blue screen with this message comes on every few minutes....how can I fix this??

20 of 30 (28,079 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2011 10:40:53 AM
(0)
Expert

A reply here.

rpearlberg wrote:

A reply here.

rpearlberg wrote:

21 of 30 (27,964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2011 12:20:13 PM
(0)
Teacher

My 82 yr old Mother lives with us and constantly having this issue as well as others on her TV, sure wish their was a fool proof way not to cause this to happen. Her eyesight is very poor too so I imagine she pushes a lot of wrong buttons although she never seems to have an issue with the living room tv/dvr...?

My 82 yr old Mother lives with us and constantly having this issue as well as others on her TV, sure wish their was a fool proof way not to cause this to happen. Her eyesight is very poor too so I imagine she pushes a lot of wrong buttons although she never seems to have an issue with the living room tv/dvr...?

22 of 30 (27,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 8:56:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

That is interesting.

That is interesting.

23 of 30 (27,850 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2011 1:59:09 PM
(0)
Mentor

I realize this thread is a few weeks old, but I was searching for an answer to a related problem and this is as close as I got. 

The "screensaver" that's mentioned in this thread isn't a screensaver... it's a static screen.  A true screensaver would move and prevent burn-in of a static image on your TV. 

I'm a new Uverse customer.  Yesterday I paused live TV and then went outside.  I came back a half hour later and was surprised to see that the paused image was still on the screen.  I came from DirecTV and they had a feature that caused a real screensaver to appear a few (five, I think?) minutes after pressing pause... either on live TV or a recorded show.  So AT&T doesn't have this feature?  If not, is there some official place to suggest stuff?  I've got a ton of suggestions...

I realize this thread is a few weeks old, but I was searching for an answer to a related problem and this is as close as I got. 

The "screensaver" that's mentioned in this thread isn't a screensaver... it's a static screen.  A true screensaver would move and prevent burn-in of a static image on your TV. 

I'm a new Uverse customer.  Yesterday I paused live TV and then went outside.  I came back a half hour later and was surprised to see that the paused image was still on the screen.  I came from DirecTV and they had a feature that caused a real screensaver to appear a few (five, I think?) minutes after pressing pause... either on live TV or a recorded show.  So AT&T doesn't have this feature?  If not, is there some official place to suggest stuff?  I've got a ton of suggestions...

24 of 30 (27,744 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2011 2:10:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

25 of 30 (27,742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2011 3:49:58 PM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks!

Thanks!

26 of 30 (27,728 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2011 4:21:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

YW

YW

27 of 30 (27,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 5:08:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

Folk wrote:

I realize this thread is a couple years old but...over 2 years and still no screensaver... :smileymad:

Folk wrote:

I realize this thread is a couple years old but...over 2 years and still no screensaver... :smileymad:

28 of 30 (13,327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 5:27:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If I had to guess as to why there is not one........It would probably take up additional resources on the receiver and all of the existing resources need to be allocated for proper operation. 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

If I had to guess as to why there is not one........It would probably take up additional resources on the receiver and all of the existing resources need to be allocated for proper operation. 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

29 of 30 (13,320 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 6:04:08 AM
(0)

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

30 of 30 (13,311 Views)