Need help with your equipment?
SGSJason's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, June 24th, 2014 8:04 PM

Port Forwarding a Foscam fi8910w IP Camera with the Motorola NVG589

I am trying to connect my IP Camera to the Internet using Port Forwarding.  I had no problems doing it with Comcast by putting their router into bridge mode and using a Linksys to handle the port forwarding.

I would prefer not to use port forwarding on my NVG589 Gateway as I would prefer to use it's wireless instead of the Linksys wireless.

The ip camera is hardcoded with a port of 8090.

In my NVG589 I went to the NAT/Gaming section and created a custom setting as shown below:

Service Name: WebCam

Global Port Range: 8090 to 8090

Base Hort Post: 8090

Protocol: TCP\UDP

I then attached this custom setting to my IP Camera's IP address.

When I go to CanYouSeeMe.org it sees the 8090 port as open on my public IP address.  

When I try to access my public ip at http://x.x.x.x:8090 I am unable to acess my camera.  I am able to access the camera with no problem using my internal IP on port 8090 so I know that the camera is configured correctly to talk on that port.

Any suggestions?

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

Are you trying to test/view the camera outside your home network?  You will not be able to set it up at home and use a computer, cell, tablet, etc. that is hardwired or connected wirelessly to your NVG589.  When I was testing mine I turned OFF the home wireless connection on my cell so it would use the cell data network and it worked.

Just want to let you know that.

Also I found this as a guide: http://foscam.us/blog/foscamipcameras/guide-to-port-forwarding-2wire-router/

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I have been testing it from a computer not connected to my home network at all.  Though to be fair when I was using Comcast I was able to access it over the Internet from my home network with no problem as I was viewing it through a public website that could ONLY connect to it over the Internet.  

The problem is the link you provided is for a 2 wire but this is a motorola NVG589. 

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

Sorry my bad on the link.  Need to read better!!  Here is a link to the NVG589 user manual.  Look at it and see if anything jumps out at you.  I don't have a NVG589 so I'm not able to help or test.

https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1795165

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I read the manual and did what it said before I started this thread.  It didn't work which was why I started the thread.  I have tested the port from my home network using canyouseeme.org and it said it could "see my service" for the designated port so I know that the firewall isn't blocking the port.  This leads me to believe that the NVG589 is not forwarding any requests to or from the camera.

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

The last suggestion I would have is to contact Foscam Support here: Call 1-800-930-0949  - 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM CST.  I'm sure your not the only one with a Foscam and an NVG589 so they surely will be able to assist since they have to have run across this already.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Did this ever get solved? I just recently switched from Time Warner Cable over to Uverse and was given a NVG589 modem/router. Previously I had the cable modem that went to my Netgear R6300 and that router handled everything.

We tried that setup with the Uverse install, but the modem is driving the phone and TV's so my router was unable to drive the additional traffic and the tv's just kept stopping. So the tech disconnected that setup, put the Uverse modem first, then connected my router to the modem, all my router does at this point is to provide a secondary wireless access point.

My huge issue at this point is the port forwarding on the 589... simply stated as noted above it doesn't work, something is blocking the inbound connection. The ipcamera works just fine on the internal network, but it will not connect from the outside using the actual IP address, the broswer usually times out. I have tried multiple ports, using web software, I have verified the port I set for the camera under port forwarding is open, yet trying to connect to the camera from elsewhere say my work, simply doesn't go through.

This setup worked perfectly under Time Warner, but simply doesn't under the Uverse Modem/Router.

Note I have not tried connecting to it wired, it is setup wireless. My camera is a Wansview and will operate on any port from 1025-65535.

This is extremely frustrating.

Karl

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Well... I was finally able to get it to work using my own router, just the wireless simply connected to the Uverse modem using one of the 4 ports under port 9999.

I then encountered the problem with the xbox 360 live despite using the already setup setting in NAT/Gaming which opens up ports 3074,88... but it will not connect to either wireless... mine sets up flawlessly but still wont connect, the Uverse modem wireless however says it is connected but Xbox says there is a NAT problem and it is moderate???

Any thoughts?

Karl

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

If anyone wants a solution...this works with the NVG 589 as well- that is what I have and it worked perfectly.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27716102-How-to-setup-xbox-live-for-Uverse-NVG510

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.