sburrelsman's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, February 20th, 2015 10:12 PM

Phone rings sporadically.

OK, i have seen a few other posts here about phone ringing. My situation is a little different, here are my symptoms....

Switched to ATT uverse about 2 months ago.  All worked fine up until a few days ago, feb 17th 2015.  Wife and i started noticing that sometimes the phone would ring AND caller id would come up on the screen. But then sometimes just the caller ID would come up but no ringing.  We have two wireless handsets which are two different brands, one upstairs and one downstairs.  We have had both handsets together and tried calling the  house from a cell phone.  Sometimes all work, but when its just caller ID, neither phone rings.

Have checked the ringers on both phones, yes, they are on.

I have reset EVERY devices AND unplugged power, all together AND individually. This problem happens occasionally daily. Not a major concern, but still aggrivating.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

It is possible that there is a problem upstream in U-verse land.

It is also possible that the fault is in your house wiring or phones.

You can search for the problem by elimination or even better, substitution of known working components.

The first step is to disconnect the wire connected to the RG tel 1/2 jack that is connected to the wall. Plug in your best phone & cord & see how it works.

If it works, the problem is in the house wiring or other phone.

If it does not work try another phone & cord.

• 

25.7K Messages

9 years ago

If you have a good known working phone with caller ID, plug it into the gateway where your current phone cable is plugged into.  Maybe borrow one you know works to eliminate equipment you have?  If it works there, then as Aviewer says it's your wiring. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.