For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Js3Ohio's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, November 2nd, 2015 7:48 PM

Odd answering machine problem has developed with calls from LTE voice cell phones

I've had the same answering machine on our U-verse voice connection since 2009 and it has worked flawlessly... until this week.  Now, when I get SOME cell phone callers and the answering machine takes the call, the caller hears nothing after the rings... but we can hear them on the answering machine.   

This weekend, a friend called using a borrowed cellphone, and because the caller-id was unrecognizeable, I decided to let it go to the answering machine.   After the 4th ring, I heard the answering machine message and beep, and then heard my friend say "hello? (pause) hello?" and then he hung up.   He called back and I saw the same caller id, so I answered and he said that on the prior call,  the phone rang 4 times, then it sounded like the line was just dead - he heard nothing.   I clearly heard the machine pick up, play its message, and beep - but he didn't.    So, I tried it with my cellphone (iPhone 6)... same thing - the machine picks up, says its message, and beeps - just as it has always done, but I do NOT hear any of that on my phone.  Asked my son to try calling on his iPhone 6 and it does the same thing.   At this point, I think it's an iPhone issue, but then my friend says he has a Samsung Galaxy S6 - so, not just an iPhone issue.  

I asked my wife (iPhone 5) and parents (different non-smart phones and a landline) to try.  ALL of them DO hear the message and beep.   

This morning, a tech friend mentioned that I might try turning off LTE voice calling on my iPhone and only use LTE data and see what happens.  I tried that on my phone and behold - I can hear the message and beep again!  I re-enable LTE voice on my iPhone and again we go back to no message or beep.  It seems pretty clear that it is some issue with newer smart phones and uverse, but it's very odd as I've not had any trouble in the several months (got my iPhone in January) with  getting a message on my answering machine.  Why did this become a problem this week? 

I can't possibly tell everyone that could POTENTIALLY call me to not use LTE voice calling.  So it appears the Uverse voice has recently developed an issue with calls from newer smartphones.  Is this happening to anyone else and is there a solution?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

6 years ago

@BeckyMcdaniel wrote:

When I when I make a phone call and the persons answers my voicemail comes on.....why?

When you make a phone call with U-verse voice, your cell phone or something else?  If not you cell phone, do you use the provided voice mail service, or do you have an answering machine?

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @Js3Ohio,

This definitely sounds like an issue with how VOLTE calls are working with your answering machine. I have seen this with other devices, and the only current fixes is to disable VOLTE. One other thing that might work is a different answering machine.

-ATTU-verseCare

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for your reply.

While disabling LTE voice calls from my cellphone may help me to be able to get to my answering machine, it doesn't address the problem when someone else calls me.   I have used this same answering machine for several years and have had my cellphone since January.  Until last week, everything worked together just fine.  

It would seem that AT&T has made a change to UVerse that has caused the problem.  FWIW, I also have AT&T cellular service.  I don't think the issue is with the answering machine but rather with UVerse.   I'm reluctant to buy new equipment when I don't have a clear understanding of the problem.  In order to replace the answering machine, I'd need to know what type of equipment will work, but because I don't even know precisely what the problem is, it seems like it may turn into a trial-and-error approach to solving the problem and I'd rather not do that.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

8 years ago

It may not be a change to the U-verse VOIP service, but instead a change to the way the iPhones decode VOIP.  However...

What is strange to me is that when you pick up the phone, the caller can hear you, but he cannot hear the answering machine.  To the phone network there should not be any difference between you and the answering machine; you're both providing analog audio.  The Gateway is what translates everything into Digital/VOIP.  

Maybe there is something with the wiring where the answering machine connects not making a good circuit and meaning it's not reliably putting enough current on the line for the Gateway to detect its audio.

Given this, I'm wondering if the difference in the caller between an iPhone 6/5/wired/Galaxy is just cooincidental; sometimes it provides enough signal and sometimes it doesn't.

You might consider temporarily connecting the answering machine directly to the back of the Gateway and seeing if that makes any difference.  If that's already how it's wired, try a new/different cord?  Unplug and reseat?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@Js3Ohio - Sounds to me like the problem is in the hand off between LTE & u-verse. THe answering machine & u-verse RG is working fine.

The LTE/u-verse interface is full duplex(seperate connection for each direction of the call) & the one direction from the answering machine is not connecting in a timely manner.

If you turn off the LTE, the call is roted differently. Avoiding the bad connection.

You are wise not to run out & buy a machine willy nilly.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I am having the exact same issue and in fact bought a new set of phones. It still does the same thing. My problem began about 2 months ago out of the blue. If this is an AT&T  problem they need to fix it. No one leaves a message or I hear "Hello....Hello". Very frustrating

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

How can I get this problem fixed?  It's been the same way for weeks.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Earlier I had tried changing phone cords, thinking it might be a pinched wire. Tried resetting everything, tried a new answering machine, and even connecting my phone directly to the 3800hgv-b gateway. Thanks for the post, and talking about the LTE. That was it.

I had called AT&T support tonight, and they hadn't heard of any related problems.  Still, if I turn LTE on again, can't hear the answering machine greeting.  Other people calling me have the same problem, can't hear the greeting. Anyone know of a better solution? Thanks.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I bought a new home phone / answering machine - exactly the same problem. I'm hopeful someone will tell me how to fix it

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

Why do you not just let your calls go to voice mail?  Uverse has voice mail and you do not need an answering machine.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.