Need help with your equipment?
Waterbuffalo's profile

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

Tuesday, July 26th, 2011 11:10 PM

Closed

No external email client can access my att.net email

I can successfully send / receive WEBMAIL using my att.net email identity.  I have spent one full day (and substantial phone time with AT&T techs - pleasant, but NO helpful advice other than to sign up for their pay-for tech advice service) trying to configure an external PC based email client to access my ATT.NET account.  I have carefully downloaded and super-carefully followed ATT.NET advice for 1) Thunderbird 5, 2) Eudora 7.1, and 3) Microsoft Live Mail on my Vista 32 PC.  Absolutely nothing works.  Having searched many blogs, I see that Yahoo.com email can NOT be accessed by an outside client - it is a web based service only.  I suspect that because AT&T now uses Yahoo.com for email, AT&T also can not be access by any standard email client.   This is a huge problem for me - I view cloud based (web based) internet email as inferior to my downloading email to my PC, backing it up, organizing it, and managing it at the PC level.   FURTHER: I was told now that I have an AT&T 'GATEWAY' device (AT&T's combination modem / wireless router) that device must remain on my home's carefully ethernet cabled system to run the TV --- and can not be removed or my AT&T UVerse TV system will stop.  Thus, if I return to my earlier ISP (Comcast), the Comcast-provided cables that AT&T took over apparently can NOT be used by Comcast ... I will have to have my house double-wired for AT&T TV and Comcast-Internet.   My questions: 

a) HOW CAN I ACCESS ATT.NET EMAIL USING ONE OF THE ABOVE EMAIL CLIENTS?

b) IF I MUST RETURN TO COMCAST FOR EMAIL, MUST I ALSO DUMP U-VERSE TV TO USE EXISTING COAX CABLES to return to  Comcast Internet+ email?

Thank you, in advance ...

ps: among the MANY AT&T and related pages I looked at are

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401568
http://www.att.com/esupport/main.jsp?ct=9000722

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401738

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401570

and more....  The suggested answers ... don't work.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

I have been an established at&t.net email user for some time and the Blackberry simply would not work for this.  It does work with 3GS so it is not a server side issue as far as I can tell. One other thing, it worked until I "upgraded" the 9700 to OS 6.xxx, version 5.XXX worked fine for att.net. So my problem seems specific to B.B. os ?

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

13 years ago

I've been using my AT&T mail on  Outlook and Live mail since 2009 and have never had an issue.  How to setup your e-mail client.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

13 years ago

Hi Oufanindalas - thanks, but as you can see from earlier emails, I think options have changed in light of the NEW YAHOO MAIL PLUS option. See: http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/enhancements/mailplus. For $19.99 / yr you can get 'Email forwarding' - but except for long time users like both you AND ME (I too get Yahoo via my iPhone), regular NEW NON-PAYING Yahoo mail users don't get POP access to local email clients. I believe because AT&T is now a simple layer on top of the cheap version Yahoo - for now, AT&T NEW (NOT OLD) subscribers don't get POP access to email. Maybe that will change when AT&T finally reads this thread. Someday. Good Luck.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

13 years ago

You are paying for Yahoo since you are a UVerse customer. You should be able to use Outlook, or Live Mail. Yahoo Plus is for those who just use Yahoo Mail.

@Waterbuffalo wrote:
Hi Oufanindalas - thanks, but as you can see from earlier emails, I think options have changed in light of the NEW YAHOO MAIL PLUS option. See: http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/enhancements/mailplus. For $19.99 / yr you can get 'Email forwarding' - but except for long time users like both you AND ME (I too get Yahoo via my iPhone), regular NEW NON-PAYING Yahoo mail users don't get POP access to local email clients. I believe because AT&T is now a simple layer on top of the cheap version Yahoo - for now, AT&T NEW (NOT OLD) subscribers don't get POP access to email. Maybe that will change when AT&T finally reads this thread. Someday. Good Luck.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

I've had an ATT (well, BellSloth) email account for years, since I first started using AT&T DSL. I used the same account when I moved to U-Verse. I've had the mail POPed over to my mail client all that time, as I never could stand AT&T's webmail. Every ever so often when I check mail my mail client (Mail on Macs, Thunderbird on Windows) reports that the email password for the AT&T account (and only the AT&T account) is incorrect. If I try again it usually goes through. (Sometimes I have to try two or three times before AT&T gets the message.) I have not changed my email password. AT&T's email server just screws up, randomly, that's all. This is, of course, a good reason why I don't hand out that account.

Sometimes when I send a test email from the AT&T account that mail never arrives, though subsequent ones might. Sometimes when I send a test email to the AT&T account that mail never arrives, though subsequent ones might. This is, of course, another reason why I don't hand out that account and use it as rarely as possible.

Basically AT&T's email service is the worst I've seen since my days on BBS systems. It's slow, unreliable, and loses its passwords and finds them again randomly. I usually use either my Gmail or my .Mac/MobileMe/whatever Apple Marketing is calling it this week account instead, or one of two other 3rd-party accounts which I have, not counting the Exchange Server account from work. None of them drop passwords, none drop incoming or outgoing mail, and all (even the Exchange Server account!) are faster. I know what hardware our Exchange Server is running on, so the fact that AT&T gets beaten by _that_ means that their system (or, rather, Yahoo's system) is truly pitiful.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

You think their Yahoo is bad, you should have been here when they used Prodigy!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I don't have Uverse but recently bought a MIFI - I use outlook as my email client as opposed to the web version. My primary home provider is Time Warner. The techs had me change my stmp server setting to: cwmx.com. I made no other changes... I can now send email through outlook  using the MIFI  - maybe it will work with Uverse.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

OMG.....I have been messing with the same thing for hours.  Actually just posted asking for help.

Guess I should just chuck it?  Or, did you come up with anything?

Thanks, Deb 

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

Maybe I'm not understanding the issue, but Outlook Express works perfectly fine with my att.net email account, although, I don't really use it.  I use gmail instead.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

I am having the same problem trying to use my atomic mail sender program with Uverse now, it has always worked with Comcast and others I had prior to them.  I have tried all the different settings they recomend.  I really hope that they fix this problem soon.  Or if anyone knows a way around this please let me know.

Thanks

Wayne 

{Personal content removed for your safety}

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.