bnadtw's profile

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

Sunday, July 8th, 2012 11:59 AM

No dial tone unable to receive calls

Power at the his good house yet I get an alarm from iPSU.

No dial tone on inside handsets. Unable to receive calls.

Internet is good. We do not have uverse TV.

Reset Gateway-no help

Sent a message to ALEX PM-no response yet.

Concerned about my home alarm not working or 911 calls from uverse voice.

What are my options I can do without tech support on the phone or physically present.

Once again all I could do was reset the gateway-no help.

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Roland11 - Sounds like you have U-verse voice service - The dial tone comes from the modem. If you want that dial tone on other phones you need to connect it to a wall jack. Then it will appear on all the other jacks that are connected. YOu do not want the wall jack connections to extend to the gray box.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

ACE, Thanks  one line you said made sense the dial tone comes from the modem, so I reconnected the green wire from the modem to wall phone jack & it worked!

Thank you saved me getting the service tech for $99! 

Was wondering your pro-cons on Magic Jack is that for real or a rip off.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

12 years ago

Since you've already reset the gateway without success a tech visit may be necessary, possibly an issue with the gateway itself, there is also the possibility of a phone outage in your area. How long has this been going on?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

bnadtw -

If you do not have U-verse voice, it is not a u-verse problem. It is a POTS problem.

First make sure no phone is off hook - may have caused a timepout in the CO. Disconnect the alarm to be sure it is not shorting the line.

Take a phone to the NID (gray box on side of house) Plug the phone into the tel jack, If you have dial tone the problem is in your house. No dial tone the problem is upstream. Use the tel path to report the problem - web or phone.

If it is in your house you can still report it - You will need to pay a service charge if you do noy have house wiring insurance.

If you report via tel it will auto test your line while you are on the phone.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

12 years ago

Still getting the alarm from the iPSU.

Plugged phone into gateway- tested good-yes we have uverse phone.

Now unpugging all phones to eliminate that possibility.

Get back to u w/results.Cat Happy

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

12 years ago

Isolated problem as the main unit of our home phone setup.

Good old cheapie (9.99)  plug in handset worked to troubleshoot and to send/receive calls.

iPSU alarm now silent for the last 30 mins.

So far so good.Smiley Happy

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Employee

• 

3.9K Messages

12 years ago

I wish more people had a cheapie test phone just for the problem you had. If you had called for a tech the tech would have handed you a bill. That bill would have bought a lot of cheap test phones. If a customer needs to replace their failed equipment the cost is that bill would go a long way towards paying for the new equipment. bnadtw thanks for all the basic testing you did. I am sure you learned a lot and will have a good idea what to try the next time. I wish more customers would at least try more then resetting the RG.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I have no dial tone. If I connect my phone to my DSL modem I get a dial tone. I used my cheap phone to connect to the grey box outside and there was no dial tone. I have At & T Uverse bundle. If I get no dial tone with the grey box what does it mean? Is it a wiriing problem of my house setup connection?

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Dear Ace I have Uverse with the voice - Thanks for your immediate response. My DSL modem was connected to the wall phone jack. Yesterday there was no dial tone & the ATT guy in India asked me to connect any land line phone to the DSL modem which I did and did get a dial tone. Then on one of these ATT help forums I read about connecting a  phone to the gray box, outside the house. No dial tone so I am really confused. I am using an old dial phone to check the phone jacks.( used by someone earlier with similar problem)

You are correct the green cable from the DSL modem is connected to the phone jack on the wall  but then the phone jacks have no dial

but as you mentioned the dial tone is coming from the modem so I am really confused.

1) Does that mean I have to crawl under the house to check the phone line or is there another way

2) Should I get a dial tone if I connect my phone to the gray box outside and get a dial tone.

Any help would be appreciated. Have already reset the modem and turned the power off with a 10 sec wait, my internect connection works fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Hey Roland - Glad you got working. Props to you for searching the web for solutions. U-verse makes it difficult because there are multiple models & the postings do not always specify (or even know) which one they have.

The closest thing I have to personal experience with Magic Jack is - I had a co-worker, named Roland, who had it & liked it.

Google should let you know - just expect a preponderance of complainers because happy customers have no impetus to post.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.