For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
oldmoses's profile

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

Tuesday, July 29th, 2014 11:58 PM

No RDNS with IPV6

My site, like a few others sorts out visitors, and re-directs those whose IP doesn't do Reverse Domain Name Service (RDNS), off of our sites. The reason we do this is that a browser using an IP with no RDNS record is usually a robot doing password sniffing, or a "stealth" user, wanting to remain anonymous.

AT&T just rolled out IPV6 in my area, Central California. They rolled it out half-way. With IPV6 they have no dynamic  ipv6.arpa. zone records, therefore IPV6 IPs comming from AT$T subscribers  won't do RDNS. They are glad to sell you a static IP, so that you and only you will then have RDNS, but that doesn't fix anything. All the rest of AT&T subscribers, more than a few I'd guess,  are re-directed away from sites secured in the way I've described.

In the 2 days since the roll-out, the re-directs on my site have gone from 6-8 a day, all version 4 re-directs, to 40. most of which are version 6 re-directs. Note that there are V6 IPs that successfully RDNS, so others are doing it. The problem is with AT&Ts DNS. They've cut all of  their subscribers of from several sites.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

Perhaps it would be wise to, for the moment, suspend your RDNS policy for IPv6 clients.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

That's what I've done, but it only solves the symptom, not the problem.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

I don't think AT&T has publicly announced that customers should be using IPv6 yet.  Although Microsoft has had PC's automatically attempting IPv6 since Windows 7, much to my dismay in quite a few cases where IPv6 infrastructure has been "partly there," e.g. in some data centers, etc.

I imagine that AT&T will eventually get the RDNS worked out for IPv6, but on their own sweet time.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

I think you are completely correct. It's a combination of Windows' and
AT&T's turning up one half without the other. I'm going to see if I can
mine the logs to see if there are any non-Windows IPV6 inquiries. If you
call AT&T support they come right back with an offer to sell you a
static IP, so it must be in their scripts, which must mean that they are
aware of the problem.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

I used whois to discover the range of V6 addresses allocated to AT&T. I
check unresolved addresses and excuse those owned by AT&T. Maybe we
should get together a pool on when they will get it fixed.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

Can I have 12th of Never?

Just joking, I'm thinking sometime 4Q2014.  (FWIW, that's something I pulled out of thin air, I have no specific knowledge that makes that date any better than 12 Nvr).

And your compromise solution seems good, until another ISP partially implements IPv6 support.

Mentor

• 

70 Messages

10 years ago

Just to sound off here, this support decision by AT&T is a nightmare if you have a Static IP block from AT&T.

If you happen to run a mail server like I do, and you support both IPV4 and IPV6, you won't be able to send messages to any gmail user -- reason being, gmail attempts to do an RDNS lookup on the sending IPV6  server, which will fail, as there is no RDNS support.  (Yes, even if you have a static IP block -- which I have.)

Compounding the problem:

First:  the phone people have no clue what you are talking about when you ask about IPV6.

Second:  because they have no informaiton they can't / won't connect you to others that might be able to help you

Third:  While I'm thrilled they are trying to support IPV6, the way they are going about it is completely backwards.

Really disappointed.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

I'm not even dissapointed anymore. They (AT&T) went back to version 4 here in Central California,  sometime before 2014-08-01 21:21:16. It looks like we were the Beta, or perhaps the Alpha test.

@md_sanjose wrote:

Just to sound off here, this support decision by AT&T is a nightmare if you have a Static IP block from AT&T.

If you happen to run a mail server like I do, and you support both IPV4 and IPV6, you won't be able to send messages to any gmail user -- reason being, gmail attempts to do an RDNS lookup on the sending IPV6  server, which will fail, as there is no RDNS support.  (Yes, even if you have a static IP block -- which I have.)

Compounding the problem:

First:  the phone people have no clue what you are talking about when you ask about IPV6.

Second:  because they have no informaiton they can't / won't connect you to others that might be able to help you

Third:  While I'm thrilled they are trying to support IPV6, the way they are going about it is completely backwards.

Really disappointed.

Mentor

• 

73 Messages

4 years ago

6 years later, and it appears no rDNS still.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.