LetsGoBears's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, September 8th, 2013 12:04 AM

Need to switch receivers on tv

Just got uverse and I'm excited but I have a problem. The office is where all the stuff is (backup box, wireless box, etc.) and it has a regular receiver. I want to move the wireless receiver from the family room and sync it with the tv in the office and vice versa. Can I do that?
Does the box by all the "stuff" have to be non wireless?
When I tried to switch the receivers the tv just kept searching and never connected.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Typically you will want the DVR, which I assume is the "box" you are referring to, connected by the "stuff". It is there so it has a direct connection to the AT&T residential gateway (RG).  Since its the main work horse of the whole home DVR system its best it be connected directly to the RG with a patch cable.  Now you could run a Cat 5e or 6 cable from the RG to the family room and connect it that way if you want.  The DVR must be connected hard wired as it's not an option to connect it wirelessly.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

LetsGoBears - I am having trouble picturing - The wireless is usually far because there is no wire at the far location. And, the nearby is cat5. You want to swap the two. If they are both non-dvr what does that accomplish? If the nearby is now DVR - The DVR should be on the least used TV connected cat5.

You should be able to use the wireless box by connecting it cat5 & powering it up before the wireless WAP is powered up.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

That covers it. The DVR box is what I was trying to move. Thanks for understanding my none tech terms.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

11 years ago

If the RG is in the office and the DVR is in the office and that's a least used TV, you have the best set up to get the most out of your Uverse experience.

If you have a 4 HD stream profile, the 4th HD stream must be watched on a  non-DVR box.  Putting the DVR on a frequently used TV can interfer with that option.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Yeah but it's the easiest to move tv. Now I can't move the tv like the commercial. Lol

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

LetsGoBears - If the move is temporary - take the TV from one location & the wireless box from the other & set it up in the new location. As lobg as you only need to watch the one during that time. Or, are you mocking the commercial??

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

No I wanted to be able to be able to put in the guest bedroom or office depending on when I have guests. It looks like I just have to do some rearranging. Thanks.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

LetsGoBears - Any chance you can run a wire to the guest bedroom (or is there a COAX there?)

For HD - use this connected to the office DVR - http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-HDMI-1x2-Splitter-v13b.asp?ad_source=GoogleAdWords&ad_medium=PPC&ad_term=HDMI%20%2Bsplitter&ad_campaign=53983803&ad_group=2074889043&ad_network=search&ad_creative=7153161963&gclid=CKe_ir2ii6gCFUiK4AoduEbyCQ Watch the video.

For SD just use the COAX output of the DVR.

If wire is out of the question consider this - http://peerair.peerless-av.com/ (cost not known)

Two choices for remote control - The U-verse point anywhere remote or the Buddy TV app for smart phone or tablet or ipod touch.

Then there is always slingbox - allowing watching.controlling via wireless computer in the guest bedroom.

The wonders of modern technology eliminating physical work in action.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.