skeeterintexas's profile
ACE - Expert

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

Monday, December 10th, 2012 12:20 PM

Need a good signal booster recommendation

We just got a new Sharp Aquos TV and are have problems using the Netflix feature.  The TV is on one side of the house and the RG is on the other. 

Moving either is not an option.

Can anyone recommend a decent signal booster/wireless repeater?  It seems silly to have the feature on the TV and not be able to use it.

Shoutout to everyone who can remember their childhood phone number but can't remember the password they created yesterday.  You are my people.  😊

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

skeeterintexas - Is the STB connected COAX?
You can connect the TV network connection to the STB network connection.

Not officially supported but usually works fine.

Best not do it with DVR. If STB is DVR swap woth another location.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

You might want to look at something like this?

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

11 years ago

New idea:  Can I connect the TV to the DVR via ethernet?  (be nice...I'm technologically challenged).

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Yes. It is called HDMI over Cat-6 wiring. You would need anyone of the following http://audio-video-supply.markertek.com/search#p=R&w=hdmi%20ov&url=http%3a%2f%2faudio-video-supply.markertek.com%2fsearch%3fw%3dhdmi%20over%20cat6%26ts%3dajax&rk=4&uid=480017185&ts=rac&rt=racsug&asug=hdmi%20ov?apelog=yes

We went with this distribution system at our church, due to everything feeds out of equipment closet, and feeds multiple HD sets through out the building.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

@skeeterintexas wrote:

New idea:  Can I connect the TV to the DVR via ethernet?  (be nice...I'm technologically challenged).

Is the DVR fed via coax?  Normally they are connected to the RG via ethernet.  You can try it if the ethernet port if available but if you have any issues after that you will need to unplug it and find another alternative.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

11 years ago

The problem was getting a movie to even load.  It would stop halfway thru.

I re-read the instruction manual and it mentions about an ethernet cord which I had sitting around and my motto is "Plug it in and see if it works". The movie Mirror, Mirror loaded rapidly and played just fine. 

Did that work or is it just my imagination?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

skeeterintexas - Thats it! It does work!

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

11 years ago

Thanks dude!  I'm sooooo old school I forget that they really do make these things "user friendly".  These Smart TVs are waaaay smarter than me (but that's not saying much!).

I still think that the whole color co-ordinated cords and plugs was the best idea ever!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

skeeterintexas - I notice you said the STB is a DVR. If that was not just a slip of keyboard - It would be better if you swapped the DVR with the STB near the RG,

The DVR works best connected cat5 to the RG.

If you use the network connection on a plain vanilla STB, you will not be using it when watching netflix. If it is a DVR it may be doing other work. Causing conflict.

I believe there have been posts saying there could be problems with this connection on a DVR. But, none about STBs.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

I had problems with Amazon yesterday stopping and starting, and this is with a wired connection to our Blu-Ray. I know that there are some "Smart" tvs that have too many issues with streaming for the apps that come on them.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.