For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
susan0203's profile

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

Monday, May 6th, 2013 4:27 PM

Moving TV and UVerse STB to a different room

So, I can't just simply move the TV/box combo to a different room in my house? Thought all rooms were wired (there is cable wiring in every room and we used to have Comcast equipment in all) but apparently this is not the case. Why can't I just get a wireless receiver to go with the TV as a replacement for the standard box?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

susan0203 - Since that jack is not connected find the other end. Trace any coax connected to the RG to find the other end of that. Do you have a diplexer (three connections) or a splitter??

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

susan0203 - Your existing coax outlets may or may not be connected correctly. If you are just moving a TV/STB from one coax to another, you can always try i. It either works or not.

If it is more complicated than that you need to understand all the wiring in order to change it.

Sure, you can change to wireless. Be sure to ask how much??

Guru

• 

622 Messages

11 years ago

@susan0203 wrote:

So, I can't just simply move the TV/box combo to a different room in my house? Thought all rooms were wired (there is cable wiring in every room and we used to have Comcast equipment in all) but apparently this is not the case.

When I switched from Comcast to U-Verse, pretty much the first thing the technician did was to detect any splitters in the existing lines and replace them - apparently, the Comcast splitters didn't work with U-Verse (they could have been the wrong frequency range).  It's quite possible that not all of your existing cable was "converted" (for lack of a better word for it, even though the cables themselves aren't replaced) properly when U-Verse was installed.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

Well, we tried moving the TV with STB from one room to another and get a screen that says "AT&T Uverse" with the hourglass searching for signal forever. The link light on the receiver isn't even on. It would seem at first blush that the coax cable in that room isn't connected to the system.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

Ahah! the diplexer outside at the box connecting Comcast to ATT had an empty port that had not been connected. Found the line outside, connected it to the diplexer and voila! Thanks everyone for quick replies.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.