Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 9, 2011
3:50:49 PM
View profile
Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

I greatly appreciate the value provided by AT&T in bundling tv/wireless/internet services.  Similarly, the bundling of channels allows customers to access a variety of programming at substantial savings.

However, occasionally, programming comes along that is so expensive and directed at such a narrow, niche market that it deserves to be left off of the programming options or ordered solely as an 'a la carte' option.  If the reports about the price tag  to cable providers  to offer the 'longhorn network' (by ESPN) are accurate, the only way it could be added to current bundled programming packages is at substantial cost to MANY people who have no interest in the programming. 

Please AT&T, keep prices low, by either not offering or charging ONLY those who desire this programming option.

Thanks!

I greatly appreciate the value provided by AT&T in bundling tv/wireless/internet services.  Similarly, the bundling of channels allows customers to access a variety of programming at substantial savings.

However, occasionally, programming comes along that is so expensive and directed at such a narrow, niche market that it deserves to be left off of the programming options or ordered solely as an 'a la carte' option.  If the reports about the price tag  to cable providers  to offer the 'longhorn network' (by ESPN) are accurate, the only way it could be added to current bundled programming packages is at substantial cost to MANY people who have no interest in the programming. 

Please AT&T, keep prices low, by either not offering or charging ONLY those who desire this programming option.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

379 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(379)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 4:18:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

Glad someone is saying it, I also don't wish to subsidize the Longhorn Athletic Department through some kind of forced addition to my existing cable package.

If someone wants to add the channel as a separate charge then they are welcome to do so but please allow me to say no while continuing to be a satisfied subscriber of your service. 

Glad someone is saying it, I also don't wish to subsidize the Longhorn Athletic Department through some kind of forced addition to my existing cable package.

If someone wants to add the channel as a separate charge then they are welcome to do so but please allow me to say no while continuing to be a satisfied subscriber of your service. 

Re: Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

2 of 380 (6,974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 4:36:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

From the article found in the link below:

Industry sources say that ESPN, which is selling the channel to cable operators, wants 40 cents per subscriber per month for placement on expanded basic cable tiers in Texas and various markets in three adjoining states: Louisiana, New Mexico and Oklahoma.

At 40 cents, Longhorn Network instantly would become one of the 30 or 40 highest priced cable channels. But the price is relatively low compared with regional sports networks, which frequently command more than $2. A similar channel, Big Ten Network, charged in-market distributors 70 cents for the right to carry its channel when it launched four years ago.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/06/27/Media/Longhorn-Network.aspx

Industry sources say that ESPN, which is selling the channel to cable operators, wants 40 cents per subscriber per month for placement on expanded basic cable tiers in Texas and various markets in three adjoining states: Louisiana, New Mexico and Oklahoma.

At 40 cents, Longhorn Network instantly would become one of the 30 or 40 highest priced cable channels. But the price is relatively low compared with regional sports networks, which frequently command more than $2. A similar channel, Big Ten Network, charged in-market distributors 70 cents for the right to carry its channel when it launched four years ago.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/06/27/Media/Longhorn-Network.aspx

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 380 (6,965 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 5:13:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

Big 10 network carries the games of an entire conference, so its really absurd to compare the prices. Maybe if you divide the $0.70 the Big 10 network was charging by the number of teams that were available at that time (11) you get less than 7 cents per school.

So at 40 cents you are paying over 500% more per school to watch the longhorn network. NO THANK YOU!

Big 10 network carries the games of an entire conference, so its really absurd to compare the prices. Maybe if you divide the $0.70 the Big 10 network was charging by the number of teams that were available at that time (11) you get less than 7 cents per school.

So at 40 cents you are paying over 500% more per school to watch the longhorn network. NO THANK YOU!

4 of 380 (6,938 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 5:22:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for posting and I agree 100%.

Thanks for posting and I agree 100%.

5 of 380 (6,931 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 5:34:02 PM
(0)
Contributor
I am an AT&T U-Verse customer in the Houston market and I agree with the sentiment that any subscription to the Longhorn Network should be voluntary and not bundled into already existing packages. Given that this network is targeted at a single community the network should only be offered to those who want it and not forced upon those who do not.
I am an AT&T U-Verse customer in the Houston market and I agree with the sentiment that any subscription to the Longhorn Network should be voluntary and not bundled into already existing packages. Given that this network is targeted at a single community the network should only be offered to those who want it and not forced upon those who do not.

6 of 380 (6,922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 5:57:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

vaughanjm wrote:

I suppose one could use that argument about most of the channels in the U-verse lineup.

vaughanjm wrote:

I suppose one could use that argument about most of the channels in the U-verse lineup.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 380 (6,901 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 6:07:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

I agree.  Why not make it a pay-for channel like ESPN Gameplan or something?  That way those who want to watch it can pay for it, and the rest of us don't have to fund the channel's existence.

I agree.  Why not make it a pay-for channel like ESPN Gameplan or something?  That way those who want to watch it can pay for it, and the rest of us don't have to fund the channel's existence.

8 of 380 (6,889 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 6:14:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Wow.  A parade of one time posters!  I detect a campaign!

http://www.facebook.com/college.sports.against.lhn

Wow.  A parade of one time posters!  I detect a campaign!

http://www.facebook.com/college.sports.against.lhn

9 of 380 (6,885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 6:20:36 PM
(0)
Expert

I thought it was just Aggies?

I would guess this would be an optional addition.

10 of 380 (6,872 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 6:21:15 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you very much for this post.  Not only a "No" but "HeII No!".  If I am forced to pay one penny for a channel that I don't want like the LHN, I'd be forced to look elsewhere for TV, Internet and Cell phone service.  Thanks again OP!

Trev

Thank you very much for this post.  Not only a "No" but "HeII No!".  If I am forced to pay one penny for a channel that I don't want like the LHN, I'd be forced to look elsewhere for TV, Internet and Cell phone service.  Thanks again OP!

Trev

11 of 380 (4,900 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 6:22:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Definitely, a campaign!

Definitely, a campaign!

12 of 380 (4,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 6:23:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

spd2demun wrote:

Did you see the Facebook page in my message above.  Some of the comments on that page are very amusing.

spd2demun wrote:

Did you see the Facebook page in my message above.  Some of the comments on that page are very amusing.

13 of 380 (4,893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 6:27:14 PM
(0)
Contributor
Just say no to the sip network
Just say no to the sip network

14 of 380 (4,890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 6:33:51 PM
(0)
Expert

Yes, I did.  And I think it's a bit early to get worked up.  But that's just me, the no-sports-person. Smiley Wink

texasguy37 wrote:

spd2demun wrote:

Yes, I did.  And I think it's a bit early to get worked up.  But that's just me, the no-sports-person. Smiley Wink

texasguy37 wrote:

spd2demun wrote:

15 of 380 (4,883 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 6:42:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

LOL!  Sports fans tend to be very emotional, and they do not always say or do things that are rational.

LOL!  Sports fans tend to be very emotional, and they do not always say or do things that are rational.

16 of 380 (4,874 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 7:26:15 PM
(0)
Expert

But it looks like other providers are under attack.

I still see them putting this into an add-on pack/subscription.

But it looks like other providers are under attack.

I still see them putting this into an add-on pack/subscription.

17 of 380 (4,852 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 7:47:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The supporters on that Facebook page don't want the network to exist in any form.

The supporters on that Facebook page don't want the network to exist in any form.

18 of 380 (4,846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 7:51:45 PM
(0)
Expert

Makes no sense, unless as I said, they're A&M'er's. Smiley Very Happy

I'd like for no sports to exist in any form, but as long as I'm not forced to watch or attend, I'd like for everyone to get what they want.

I would guess these same posts are on other providers' forums? Smiley Surprised

Guess mission has been accomplished...

Makes no sense, unless as I said, they're A&M'er's. Smiley Very Happy

I'd like for no sports to exist in any form, but as long as I'm not forced to watch or attend, I'd like for everyone to get what they want.

19 of 380 (4,843 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 8:00:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

spd2demun wrote:

Yeah.  When you read that Facebook page, you will see some of the strategies suggested.  Some have even stated that if their TV provider picks up the network, they will cancel their service.  I wonder what they will do when all providers are carrying the channel.

spd2demun wrote:

Yeah.  When you read that Facebook page, you will see some of the strategies suggested.  Some have even stated that if their TV provider picks up the network, they will cancel their service.  I wonder what they will do when all providers are carrying the channel.

20 of 380 (4,837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 8:02:25 PM
(0)
Expert

Hulu?  You Tube?  Netflix?  Redbox?  Sports bar?

Hulu?  You Tube?  Netflix?  Redbox?  Sports bar?

21 of 380 (4,594 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 8:05:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

LOL.  As I said, sports fans tend to be very emotional and do not always say or do things that seem rational.

LOL.  As I said, sports fans tend to be very emotional and do not always say or do things that seem rational.

22 of 380 (4,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 8:07:28 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by spd2demun on Aug 9, 2011 at 8:07:51 PM

Another reason I don't partake. Smiley Very Happy

Looks like they're gone, and we're talking to ourselves.  Solved!

Another reason I don't partake. Smiley Very Happy

Looks like they're gone, and we're talking to ourselves.  Solved!

[ Edited ]
23 of 380 (4,588 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 8:15:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Smiley Very Happy

Smiley Very Happy

24 of 380 (4,582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 8:16:51 PM
(0)
Professor
My guess? They'll eventually HAVE to offer it in Texas, especially in the Longhorn area, in order to remain competitive. I imagine this channel as a type of RSN...ok, not really, but kind of.

If it would be possible to offer it in u-200 in the area defined in the announcement, and Sports Pack or u-300 elsewhere, that's what I would ask them to do.

In order to be carried in as many houses as possible, I'd bet they do NOT go ala carte. And what if your favorite team is playing UT and Longhorn Network has exclusive rights??
My guess? They'll eventually HAVE to offer it in Texas, especially in the Longhorn area, in order to remain competitive. I imagine this channel as a type of RSN...ok, not really, but kind of.

If it would be possible to offer it in u-200 in the area defined in the announcement, and Sports Pack or u-300 elsewhere, that's what I would ask them to do.

In order to be carried in as many houses as possible, I'd bet they do NOT go ala carte. And what if your favorite team is playing UT and Longhorn Network has exclusive rights??

25 of 380 (4,581 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 9:10:26 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by siouxmoux on Aug 9, 2011 at 9:11:38 PM

Everyone should Just say No to Longhorn Network and The Dallas Cowboys!

Frankie Say... You Can find me North http://7vmy.sl.pt South http://7vn0.sl.pt East http://7vn2.sl.pt and West http://7vn3.sl.pt Soulseek ID 80newwave

[ Edited ]
26 of 380 (4,573 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 9:15:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

siouxmoux wrote:

I'll give you half a kudo and half a zerbert. NO to the big horned cows from down south, YES to the COWBOYS.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

siouxmoux wrote:

I'll give you half a kudo and half a zerbert. NO to the big horned cows from down south, YES to the COWBOYS.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

27 of 380 (4,570 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 9:19:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

texasguy37 wrote:

Like anyone in those 3 states would want to watch that ugly colored uniform team from south of Dallas.  Louisiana (LSU), New Mexico (Lobos), Oklahoma (Sooners and Cowboys and Golden Hurricane). Shoot, 1/2 of Texas wouldn't want to watch it because of the other teams in the state, (TAMU, TTU, TCU, SMU, Baylor, Houston, Rice, UNT.)

texasguy37 wrote:

Like anyone in those 3 states would want to watch that ugly colored uniform team from south of Dallas.  Louisiana (LSU), New Mexico (Lobos), Oklahoma (Sooners and Cowboys and Golden Hurricane). Shoot, 1/2 of Texas wouldn't want to watch it because of the other teams in the state, (TAMU, TTU, TCU, SMU, Baylor, Houston, Rice, UNT.)

28 of 380 (4,569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2011 8:40:21 AM
(0)
Contributor

Don't add it to the U200 package as you will lose me. Make it an add-on, if anyone really wants this crap station.

Don't add it to the U200 package as you will lose me. Make it an add-on, if anyone really wants this crap station.

29 of 380 (4,528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2011 9:01:40 AM
(0)
Tutor

Don't let me see ANY of you haters walking down the street (and some of you live in Austin).

crap station? Go on and eat your cornbread and cry yourself to sleep watching your Travel channel Man vs. Food. 

Don't let me see ANY of you haters walking down the street (and some of you live in Austin).

crap station? Go on and eat your cornbread and cry yourself to sleep watching your Travel channel Man vs. Food. 

30 of 380 (4,515 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments