AustinTX#1's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, August 9th, 2011 10:50 PM

Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

I greatly appreciate the value provided by AT&T in bundling tv/wireless/internet services.  Similarly, the bundling of channels allows customers to access a variety of programming at substantial savings.

However, occasionally, programming comes along that is so expensive and directed at such a narrow, niche market that it deserves to be left off of the programming options or ordered solely as an 'a la carte' option.  If the reports about the price tag  to cable providers  to offer the 'longhorn network' (by ESPN) are accurate, the only way it could be added to current bundled programming packages is at substantial cost to MANY people who have no interest in the programming. 

Please AT&T, keep prices low, by either not offering or charging ONLY those who desire this programming option.

Thanks!

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

12 years ago

@AchtungCloud wrote:

I'm pretty annoyed that Uverse decided to pick up this albatross of a network that destroyed the Big 12 and the best rivalry in college sports. I guess they figured people really wanted to watch a .500 team with no QB and follow it up with women's college volleyball and softball the rest of the year.

If the addition of The Longhorn Network does not cost you anything additional to subscribe to U-Verse, then why would it matter? As a Mizzou (University of Missouri) fan, my main interest now is the SEC.

I guess The University of Missouri is partially responsible for destroying the Big !2, too, since it left that conference along with Texas A&M. 

My feeling is that the more channels U-Verse has, especiallly in HD, the better.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

12 years ago

@spd2demun wrote:

ATT is HQ'd in TX, though not Austin, but maybe a lot of UT grads/fans?

U-verse quiz. The latest UV equipment is released/available in which of the following cities?

A) Dallas

B) Austin

C) San Antone

D) Houston

E) All of the above except Houston

(answer - E)  Smiley Very Happy

PS. Would agree there's a whole lot of UT fans and/or alumni near/in the Dallas headquarters hence LHN. Smiley Wink

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

That made me laugh because it's true!  Smiley Very Happy

And who knows, it may bomb with not enough subscribers?

@Uniblurb3 wrote:

@spd2demun wrote:

U-verse quiz. The latest UV equipment is released/available in which of the following cities?

A) Dallas

B) Austin

C) San Antone

D) Houston

PS. Would agree there's a whole lot of UT fans and/or alumni near/in the Dallas headquarters hence LHN. Smiley Wink

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

12 years ago

Is it that obvious the quiz was aimed at you/Houston?? Smiley Very Happy

I'd have to agree with dwinth, the more UV channels the better, especially in HD. Just so long as other user's rates, and my U450 rates, don't go up even more come Feb, 2013. Smiley Wink

@spd2demun wrote:

That made me laugh because it's true!  Smiley Very Happy

And who knows, it may bomb with not enough subscribers?

@Uniblurb3 wrote:

@spd2demun wrote:

A) Dallas

B) Austin

C) San Antone

D) Houston

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

12 years ago

Why would someone living outside of Texas want to watch LHN? It's like giving Florida Sports Network to people living ouside of the southeast US. There is no interest unless you went to one of the Florida colleges.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

12 years ago

E!   E!  E!

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

People who went to UT or are fans don't ALL live in TX. 

Texans love their State, but sometimes they have to move for a number of reasons.

@John in Florida wrote:

Why would someone living outside of Texas want to watch LHN? It's like giving Florida Sports Network to people living ouside of the southeast US. There is no interest unless you went to one of the Florida colleges.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@John in Florida wrote:

The University of Texas has a huge alumni base all over the country.  Actually, all over the world.  The focus is mainly in Texas which is why the channel is available on the U200 and above package inside of Texas and on the U450 package outside of Texas.

By the way, not every channel in the U-verse lineup is of interest to everyone.  Those channels that people have no interest in viewing, they simply don't tune to those channels.  U-verse has channels pretty much that will suit everyone's interest.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

12 years ago

@John in Florida wrote:

It's a UT thing.

Besides the current student enrollment of 50,000 students and 16,000 faculty & admin., there's the alumni association (Texas Exes) with 93,000 members and 64,000 being Life Members and continually growing.

Once a Longhorn, always a Longhorn.  These people bleed burnt orange!

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

12 years ago

@Uniblurb3 wrote:

@Ish Kabibble wrote:

@Uniblurb3 wrote:

Yeah, I have the LHN on 1609 in the Central Ohio market with U450. I'll probably cutting my service back to U300! Smiley Very Happy

I turned it on yesterday to check it out. I'll probably never watch it again.

Same here. Don't know if there's any other college teams which have their own separate network? Believe it's mainly leagues like the BTN (1650) channel here. Heck, the high schools here can barely get by financially, with lots of cutbacks, let alone building a $60M HS stadium in Allen, a suburb of Dallas. This story has been all over the national news and a 800 member HS band to boot! But the voters wanted it, willing to pay for the bond issue, so it's not being supported through an education/school levy.

Oh well, I remember visiting my mom years ago where she retired in NC and they would pull prime-time OTA programming to show local HS basketball!

Sorry for going a little off-topic.

You should see that stadium, it's pretty impressive.  I've been by it a few times.  While I don't live in Allen where the stadium is, I do wish those who don't live in Allen and did not VOTE to raise the money for the staduim as well as a new performing arts center and upgrades to the cafeteria would leave them alone.  Allen HS is one of the best schools in the state and their programs have won many awards and accolades.   The band has performed in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, The Rose Bowl Parade, Dublin Ireland and Honolulu Hawaii's  Patrick's Day Parades. The band has also been recognized by the John Phillip Sousa Foundation.

The school also has one of the best music programs in the state, one of the best broadcast stations in the country, an orchestra, photography, German Folk dancing, and they just built a brand new lab for the clinical rotation program.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.