For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
AustinTX#1's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, August 9th, 2011 10:50 PM

Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

I greatly appreciate the value provided by AT&T in bundling tv/wireless/internet services.  Similarly, the bundling of channels allows customers to access a variety of programming at substantial savings.

However, occasionally, programming comes along that is so expensive and directed at such a narrow, niche market that it deserves to be left off of the programming options or ordered solely as an 'a la carte' option.  If the reports about the price tag  to cable providers  to offer the 'longhorn network' (by ESPN) are accurate, the only way it could be added to current bundled programming packages is at substantial cost to MANY people who have no interest in the programming. 

Please AT&T, keep prices low, by either not offering or charging ONLY those who desire this programming option.

Thanks!

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

13 years ago

First, let me say that I have no problem if U-verse chooses to set up The Longhorn Network as a Premium channel, I'll gladly pay.  But for those of you saying you'd switch immediately & you don't want to support UT or their fans' 'habit' let me say that you support Golf & Tennis fans' habits, as do I.  And I hate Golf!!  Also UT doesn't need anyone's financial support, even before ESPN gave them $300M they were still the 2nd richest college in the country (behind only Harvard).  It's not UTs fault that Texas A&M had no foresight & turned down a partnership or that ESPN may not be interested in giving the other smaller schools in the Big 12 their own network.  Smiley Happy

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

13 years ago

LHN will carry other sports as well & may in the future have more than 2 football games.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

13 years ago

If your athletic director had any foresight the channel would also include A&M sports, but apparently decided he A&M didn't need $150M.  Go figure!

Guru

• 

650 Messages

13 years ago

ESPN would have been smarter to try to get it setup as a Big 12 channel, like Big Ten Network:

Compared to other conferences, the Big 12's revenue is low for a BCS conference; this is due in part to television contracts signed with Fox Sports Net (four years for $48 million) and ABC/ESPN (eight years for $480 million) that are set to expire in 2012 and 2016, respectively.

Wikipedia Big 12 Conference

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

The Big Conference has to approve the creation of a Big 12 Network TV channel.  It is not something that can be decided by ESPN.  The idea of creating a conference TV channel has been rejected by the conference schools in the past.

Guru

• 

650 Messages

13 years ago

@texasguy37 wrote:

The Big Conference has to approve the creation of a Big 12 Network TV channel.  It is not something that can be decided by ESPN.  The idea of creating a conference TV channel has been rejected by the conference schools in the past.

Yes, I understand that ESPN just can't go ahead and do this on their own. But as they will be the broadcast partner filling the Big 12 coffers after 2012's expiration of FSN's contract, it almost behooves the conference to try to pursue this avenue. The only reason the conference is against such an idea is because of THEIR own setup of revenue sharing amongst themselves -- no fault of ESPN. If ESPN would work with them to elevate their presence overall, and it could eliminate the squabbling because U-T gets the lionshare of revenues. All of that extra exposure wouldn't just be a benefit to ESPN, but to the conference overall -- and at a decent price to bring that to a nationwide audience.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

jbdet313 wrote:

Yes, I understand that ESPN just can't go ahead and do this on their own. But as they will be the broadcast partner filling the Big 12 coffers after 2012's expiration of FSN's contract, it almost behooves the conference to try to pursue this avenue. The only reason the conference is against such an idea is because of THEIR own setup of revenue sharing amongst themselves -- no fault of ESPN. If ESPN would work with them to elevate their presence overall, and it could eliminate the squabbling because U-T gets the lionshare of revenues. All of that extra exposure wouldn't just be a benefit to ESPN, but to the conference overall -- and at a decent price to bring that to a nationwide audience.

No, that is not the reason.  Several years ago, the SEC also rejected the idea of creating a TV network.  The SEC has a different revenue sharing model than the Big 12.  Only 2 conferences currently have their own TV network (i.e. Big Ten Conference and the Mountain West Conference).  The PAC 12 will join those ranks sometime next year.

If it was as easy and beneficial for conferences to have their own TV network as you indicate, all of the major conferences and some of the other conferences would have their own TV network.  The conferences are not going to turn their backs on what they consider a viable moneymaking opportunity.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

13 years ago

@jbdet313 wrote:

ESPN would have been smarter to try to get it setup as a Big 12 channel, like Big Ten Network:

Compared to other conferences, the Big 12's revenue is low for a BCS conference; this is due in part to television contracts signed with Fox Sports Net (four years for $48 million) and ABC/ESPN (eight years for $480 million) that are set to expire in 2012 and 2016, respectively.

Wikipedia Big 12 Conference

Not sure where that site got it's information from unless it's several years old.  The Big 12 and Fox Sports just signed a

$1.7 Billion contract recently and goes for the next 16 years.  Granted the ABC/ESPN contract is smaller than other BCS conferences, it's still respectable at $60/year. Between the two networks, it's about $200 million/year.  That money is now going to be divided equally.

Guru

• 

650 Messages

13 years ago

Didn't know about the FSN renewal, and that info changes a few things. But I'll leave that to the experts.

It does, though, now lend more credence to ESPN getting too big for their britches, and trying to just basically benefit itself over the conference schools' interests, including U-T's.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Just want to voice my opinion; If ATT U-verse adds this ESPN driven garbage channel and attempts to charge me additional for having it, I will drop U-Verse no matter how much I like it! Please don't add it!  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.