Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Mar 27, 2013
3:41:33 PM
View profile
Just got uverse today is this normal?

I just got uverse today 12 down 1.5 up the speed seems fine but the ping seems a little high.Using speedtest i checked the next town which is only 50 miles away and my ping is 41ms? Does that sound normal?

I just got uverse today 12 down 1.5 up the speed seems fine but the ping seems a little high.Using speedtest i checked the next town which is only 50 miles away and my ping is 41ms? Does that sound normal?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 27, 2013 5:24:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I live near the IL/WI state line, and have hte same service as you.  If I test with a server in Chicago I get download rates aroune 11.82 Mbps, and uploads around 1.45 Mbps with a ping time around 40 msec.  If I test with a server about 200 miles away in/near MN, I get download speeds of 11.87Mbps, uploads around 1.48 Mbps, and pings around 32 msec.  The server can make a difference.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Just got uverse today is this normal?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 27, 2013 4:35:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

"The next town" could be reached by going across the state and coming back.

If you're using the VDSL2 protocol (RG is a 2WIRE 3600, 3800 or 3801), then there is an inherent additional 10-15 ms in ping due to the interleaving of data between packets (which improves reliability of data transmission), so if you're used to a 26 to 31 ms ping time to the host you're testing against, then I'd say your results are normal.

"The next town" could be reached by going across the state and coming back.

If you're using the VDSL2 protocol (RG is a 2WIRE 3600, 3800 or 3801), then there is an inherent additional 10-15 ms in ping due to the interleaving of data between packets (which improves reliability of data transmission), so if you're used to a 26 to 31 ms ping time to the host you're testing against, then I'd say your results are normal.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Just got uverse today is this normal?

2 of 5 (1,318 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 27, 2013 5:24:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I live near the IL/WI state line, and have hte same service as you.  If I test with a server in Chicago I get download rates aroune 11.82 Mbps, and uploads around 1.45 Mbps with a ping time around 40 msec.  If I test with a server about 200 miles away in/near MN, I get download speeds of 11.87Mbps, uploads around 1.48 Mbps, and pings around 32 msec.  The server can make a difference.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

3 of 5 (1,301 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2013 6:17:38 PM
(0)
Contributor

my ping to chicago is 57.Thanks for all the replies just wanted to make sure all sounds normal lol.

my ping to chicago is 57.Thanks for all the replies just wanted to make sure all sounds normal lol.

4 of 5 (1,284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2013 6:21:19 PM
(0)
Contributor
Yeah Jeff 3801
Yeah Jeff 3801

5 of 5 (1,282 Views)