Brian80's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014 7:18 AM

Is HD being provided? It's what I'm paying for

Hi so I noticed that my picture quality is far below par. I researched my tv (1080i); I made sure the receiver was set to HD; and I ran a few stress tests on my tv using both the att program and a couple other private programs. All checked out good to go except that I still was not actually GETTING HD. So I researched the issue and found that apparently not all the time the HD channels deliver HD TV... I don't know about anyone else, but I pay an extra $10 to get the HD. I don't pay $10 a month to SOMETIMES get HD. If that was the case, I would only pay $10 SOME of the time... This is a simple clear cut case of false advertising deliberately misleading the customers to believe HD is always on these extra channels. If I asked 'NBC on your side' to investigate this, what would they turn up? [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

I have also yet to receive the gift cards that I was told I'd receive for signing up even though I claimed them and called to ask about. I have also had to cancel fox soccer channel because it only shows rugby. All of this is adding up to a very interesting story... 

Would any at&t rep rep care to respond? I work longer hours than nearly all of the people who CAN answer these questions so HERE is the forum, apparently...

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

@dinglesby wrote:

Sorry if I gave incorrect information. I was looking at the guide and some shows say hd and some do not so I just assumed if the guide did not say HD it was not in HD.  However the station is the one to complain to because not all programing is in hd but hd or sd does not bother me.  Since I do not sit in front of the TV 24/7 I will leave this discussion to the tv junkies as they can tell the difference better then me.

If it's in HD, it will look like it's HD, the difference is dramatic, even though Uverse has the best SD of any provider.  Here in metro Detroit, all Judge Judy's are listed w/the HD designation, but only the last 1 or 2 years are in HD.

As skeeter pointed out, some programs are not listed HD, but they are HD.  One look and you'll see the difference.

If you watch any SD on the HD channels, it looks even better than the SD channel does, unless it's strectched. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Scholar

• 

118 Messages

10 years ago

Really if you want to test your HD just put on any of the Premium channels (HBO, Cinemax, etc) or Fuse (1535) for example. These networks either run their HD feeds in HD 24/7 or upsampled SD converted into HD 24/7. There's plenty of others. 

The vast majority of Viacom's networks that have HD feeds for example do not run programming in HD most of the time. Nick, Nicktoons, MTV2, Comedy Central etc are examples. Only certain programming is in HD. 

An easy way to tell what is HD and what is not would be during music programming on MTV (3AM-9AM Eastern) Most modern music videos are in HD, but some (especially during the Clubland block 3-4AM Eastern) are in SD. You'll see boxed SD during that video. 

Another example would be South Park (Comedy Central) The entire series (minus Season 1 and 2) has been upsampled to HD. The networks plays reruns and new episodes in HD. However when they play reruns during the daytime hours (Prior to 9PM Eastern) they are the SD clean edits that were produced for syndication, so they will run in SD on Channel 1140 anytime before 9PM Eastern. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

First off, thanks a ton for the replies! I have learned a lot from you all so it IS appreciated. However, AT&T lists on their channel guide that the programs ARE HD (and apparently the HD upgrade can and has been applied to shows from the 80s). If there is no promise of HD and the program is displayed in SD on what is allegedly an HD channel, then how can AT&T charge $10 across the board "for HD television"? Doesn't this seem misleading? If the channel does not have the program in HD then shouldn't AT&T be responsible for not including the program on an HD channel? Last night I attempted to watch a show and the picture quality was horrendous! I could barely make out the faces! Comcast broadcasts strictly HD and u can tell because the shows seem more like a live set. Comcast holds a standard of HD - if att can't, then they shouldn't charge for HD when it's not provided (at minimum lowering the charge).

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

10 years ago

I can't imagine that some AT&T employee is sitting around watching all the upcoming programs and determining if it's HD or not.  I do believe that info comes from a 3rd party.  Smiley Frustrated

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

Believe it or not, CBS is for the first time since 2000 is broadcasting Big Brother in HD.  It was only a couple of years ago that Survivor was broadcast in HD.  To be upconverted it has to come from the provider, it has nothing to do with AT&T, they only push what the networks pump out.

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

10 years ago

@Brian80 wrote:
First off, thanks a ton for the replies! I have learned a lot from you all so it IS appreciated. However, AT&T lists on their channel guide that the programs ARE HD (and apparently the HD upgrade can and has been applied to shows from the 80s). If there is no promise of HD and the program is displayed in SD on what is allegedly an HD channel, then how can AT&T charge $10 across the board "for HD television"? Doesn't this seem misleading? If the channel does not have the program in HD then shouldn't AT&T be responsible for not including the program on an HD channel? Last night I attempted to watch a show and the picture quality was horrendous! I could barely make out the faces! Comcast broadcasts strictly HD and u can tell because the shows seem more like a live set. Comcast holds a standard of HD - if att can't, then they shouldn't charge for HD when it's not provided (at minimum lowering the charge).

What show were you watching and what channel was it on? If it looked like crap SD on U-Verse, it would also look like crap SD on Comcast.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I have a question, and I'll just reply to the last poster since he/she is a Guru.

I have the package w/HBO, also Showtime and the other movie channels. I have also have a brand new Smart TV that got excellent reviews on picture, but it's not great - and, the preson I live with has Direct TV and his picture is better. But I chose to pay extra for uVerse because of its features.

I have Showtime HD, but one of my favorite shows, Penny Dreadful, is apparently not in high def, because ther's no box beside it on the guide. How could a show like that not be in HD? It's brand new, it's Showtime, but there's no 'HD' box out beside it. I went to their site and found no info but I'm sure it's a high def show.

Not sure what to do - any advice is appreciated.

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

10 years ago

@High_Voltage_Blonde wrote:

I have a question, and I'll just reply to the last poster since he/she is a Guru.

I have the package w/HBO, also Showtime and the other movie channels. I have also have a brand new Smart TV that got excellent reviews on picture, but it's not great - and, the preson I live with has Direct TV and his picture is better. But I chose to pay extra for uVerse because of its features.

I have Showtime HD, but one of my favorite shows, Penny Dreadful, is apparently not in high def, because ther's no box beside it on the guide. How could a show like that not be in HD? It's brand new, it's Showtime, but there's no 'HD' box out beside it. I went to their site and found no info but I'm sure it's a high def show.

If you're watching the show between channels 1852-1859, it's in HD.

I know this sounds silly but make sure that your TV is connected to your U-Verse Set Top Box in the correct way in order to see the HD channels in HD. Use either an HDMI cable or component cables from the STB to your TV.

Mess the Menu button on your remote, select Options, then System options. From here choose TV screen resolution (HD/SD) and then select either 720p or 1080i(your choice).

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@High_Voltage_Blonde wrote:

Make sure you have your STB set up for HD as well

Menu

System Option

TV Screen Resolution, set it for either 720 or 1080, - continue - start test and either keep settings or change to the other.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I'll check thos things out. I still don't understand why, in the Showtimes listings, there's little box that says 'HD' for some of the shows but not all.

Thanks for the replies. 😃

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.