Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 10, 2011
4:57:30 PM
View profile
Intermittent Problem with U-verse TV - going on 3 mos now!

I have had an intermittent problem with the TV freezing which has been going on 3 months now.  I have had numerous techs out (inside and outside) and even got a network manager involved.  Still - almost daily between 6 pm and 7 pm (about the time of the evening news), the picture freezes, or goes into a mosaic and stutters or I get the LOST TV SIGNAL message onscreen that lists remedies like checking cables, rebooting the boxes, etc.  I have had inside techs, outside techs, replaced equipment like STB/RG, etc.  The problem seems to clear up later in the evening.  They have told me repeatedly there is no problem inside the house - they have checked everything.  But ATT has also said multiple times they found a problem and fixed it (presumably outside somewhere) - but the problem continues.  I recall one guy with a laptop saying "you have no backend" - he was looking at a graph.  He acted like that was bad. But I have no idea what he meant.   I have had others say they see lot of errors - but also had them say they were seeing no errors right at the same time that I am viewing my TV screen and it's freezing up!  This occured during the test they run while they have you on the phone.  I have probably spent 30-40 hours of my time alone on this problem (on the phone, meeting techs, etc).  I am not exaggerating!

I just loaded the UV Realtime utility and attached the screen shots mentioned in other posts in the hopes someone can help me.  Note - there was no COAX/HPNA data to include.  Thanks.

I have had an intermittent problem with the TV freezing which has been going on 3 months now.  I have had numerous techs out (inside and outside) and even got a network manager involved.  Still - almost daily between 6 pm and 7 pm (about the time of the evening news), the picture freezes, or goes into a mosaic and stutters or I get the LOST TV SIGNAL message onscreen that lists remedies like checking cables, rebooting the boxes, etc.  I have had inside techs, outside techs, replaced equipment like STB/RG, etc.  The problem seems to clear up later in the evening.  They have told me repeatedly there is no problem inside the house - they have checked everything.  But ATT has also said multiple times they found a problem and fixed it (presumably outside somewhere) - but the problem continues.  I recall one guy with a laptop saying "you have no backend" - he was looking at a graph.  He acted like that was bad. But I have no idea what he meant.   I have had others say they see lot of errors - but also had them say they were seeing no errors right at the same time that I am viewing my TV screen and it's freezing up!  This occured during the test they run while they have you on the phone.  I have probably spent 30-40 hours of my time alone on this problem (on the phone, meeting techs, etc).  I am not exaggerating!

I just loaded the UV Realtime utility and attached the screen shots mentioned in other posts in the hopes someone can help me.  Note - there was no COAX/HPNA data to include.  Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Intermittent Problem with U-verse TV - going on 3 mos now!

30 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(30)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2011 5:27:22 PM
(0)
Expert

When there is a timed pattern to the freezes/pixelation, the usual cause is interference from a device that cycles on at that particular time.  Evening news time is a time for outdoor security lights, air conditioning, etc. to turn on, so I'd look at those items.

Other possible sources include:

* Power line interference, such as:
* Fluorescent light ballasts
* High-intensity gas discharge lights like mercury vapor
* Grounding problems, such as improper ground at the NID, the pedestal, etc.
* Electrical system grounding problems, such as improper ground on the RG's outlet, the breaker panel, etc.
* HAM radio broadcasts in the HF band
* AM radio transmissions, such as a nearby radio station

Try to isolate any potential source of these problems and see if you can find one that eliminates the interference.

When there is a timed pattern to the freezes/pixelation, the usual cause is interference from a device that cycles on at that particular time.  Evening news time is a time for outdoor security lights, air conditioning, etc. to turn on, so I'd look at those items.

Other possible sources include:

* Power line interference, such as:
* Fluorescent light ballasts
* High-intensity gas discharge lights like mercury vapor
* Grounding problems, such as improper ground at the NID, the pedestal, etc.
* Electrical system grounding problems, such as improper ground on the RG's outlet, the breaker panel, etc.
* HAM radio broadcasts in the HF band
* AM radio transmissions, such as a nearby radio station

Try to isolate any potential source of these problems and see if you can find one that eliminates the interference.

Re: Intermittent Problem with U-verse TV - going on 3 mos now!

2 of 31 (6,469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2011 5:56:35 PM
(0)
Teacher

Hadn't thought of those things.  I was thinking somehow it was a capacity thing where there was more bandwith being used at that time of day and possibly that's what was causing the problem. I think I came up with this theory when I was trying to watch the worldcup of soccer (which was a bit earlier in the day if I recall correctly - around 4-5 pm) and I was having this same issue.  But someone from ATT explained to me that u-verse technology isn't subject to problems caused by high usage - it doesn't work that way.  I guess that's correct info - so it blew a hole in my theory.  I didn't mention this in my first post but we didn't have any issues for the first 18 months when we switched over to U-verse from Comcast (and we have TV, internet and phone).  Seems odd to start having these problems at month 19 - and nothing in the house has really changed - no new equipments, etc.  It's also a fairly new house (under 20 years old) so the wiring and boxes are in pretty good shape.

Anyway, I can rule out some of these items pretty quickly - like mercury vapor - don't have that type of lighting.  And since we are on EDT, it doesn't get dark around here until 8:30 pm or so - so lights aren't really coming on. We are out in the burbs - so no AM radio stations nearby but I don't know about HAM operators - could be some out there.  However, - if that's the case - why only around 6 to 7 pm?  We do have several fluorescents lights/ballasts but those remain on into the late evening and the problem clears up usually around 7 pm.  As for the grounding at the NID - that's something I would hope the ATT tech is checking.  I do recall one of the techs early on that came out when I was losing all 3 services connect a ground wire inside the phone box on the outside of my house - said it was supposed to be connected and it wasn't (said something about some techs don't believe it's needed and some do).  He also told me the coax splitter in the other box on the outside wall didn't need to be grounded - and it isn't grounded (unlike when Comcast was my service and they had it grounded).

My wife has been watching TV now for the past hour or more and it hasn't acted up once.  It's almost 9 pm now. I guess I will snoop around the house more and look at your list and see if I can somehow link something starting up with the issue occuring.  Not sure though .... thanks.

I

Hadn't thought of those things.  I was thinking somehow it was a capacity thing where there was more bandwith being used at that time of day and possibly that's what was causing the problem. I think I came up with this theory when I was trying to watch the worldcup of soccer (which was a bit earlier in the day if I recall correctly - around 4-5 pm) and I was having this same issue.  But someone from ATT explained to me that u-verse technology isn't subject to problems caused by high usage - it doesn't work that way.  I guess that's correct info - so it blew a hole in my theory.  I didn't mention this in my first post but we didn't have any issues for the first 18 months when we switched over to U-verse from Comcast (and we have TV, internet and phone).  Seems odd to start having these problems at month 19 - and nothing in the house has really changed - no new equipments, etc.  It's also a fairly new house (under 20 years old) so the wiring and boxes are in pretty good shape.

Anyway, I can rule out some of these items pretty quickly - like mercury vapor - don't have that type of lighting.  And since we are on EDT, it doesn't get dark around here until 8:30 pm or so - so lights aren't really coming on. We are out in the burbs - so no AM radio stations nearby but I don't know about HAM operators - could be some out there.  However, - if that's the case - why only around 6 to 7 pm?  We do have several fluorescents lights/ballasts but those remain on into the late evening and the problem clears up usually around 7 pm.  As for the grounding at the NID - that's something I would hope the ATT tech is checking.  I do recall one of the techs early on that came out when I was losing all 3 services connect a ground wire inside the phone box on the outside of my house - said it was supposed to be connected and it wasn't (said something about some techs don't believe it's needed and some do).  He also told me the coax splitter in the other box on the outside wall didn't need to be grounded - and it isn't grounded (unlike when Comcast was my service and they had it grounded).

My wife has been watching TV now for the past hour or more and it hasn't acted up once.  It's almost 9 pm now. I guess I will snoop around the house more and look at your list and see if I can somehow link something starting up with the issue occuring.  Not sure though .... thanks.

I

3 of 31 (6,463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2011 6:19:07 PM
(0)
Teacher

One other thought.  In addition to the picture freezing up and going mosaic - it also goes completely black and I also get the NO TV SIGNAL screen message for a few minutes at a time. Would interference cause that as well?

One other thought.  In addition to the picture freezing up and going mosaic - it also goes completely black and I also get the NO TV SIGNAL screen message for a few minutes at a time. Would interference cause that as well?

4 of 31 (6,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2011 6:48:46 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by SomeJoe7777 on Aug 10, 2011 at 6:50:05 PM

Yes, an interference issue could cause that issue as well, as it could cause the 2Wire RG to reboot. A reboot will interrupt TV viewing for 3-4 minutes.

Sometimes fluorescent lights (or street lights -- remember, the interfering device may not be in your home, but somewhere around it) cause interference when they first start up, and then the interference goes away as the ballast/transformer/power supply heats up. This usually indicates that the ballast/transformer/power supply is bad and needs to be replaced.

Also see the following post where I tracked down an interfering device in my house:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Receivers/Tracking-Down-Line-Interference/m-p/2654177#M47347

Yes, an interference issue could cause that issue as well, as it could cause the 2Wire RG to reboot. A reboot will interrupt TV viewing for 3-4 minutes.

Sometimes fluorescent lights (or street lights -- remember, the interfering device may not be in your home, but somewhere around it) cause interference when they first start up, and then the interference goes away as the ballast/transformer/power supply heats up. This usually indicates that the ballast/transformer/power supply is bad and needs to be replaced.

Also see the following post where I tracked down an interfering device in my house:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Receivers/Tracking-Down-Line-Interference/m-p/2654177#M47347

[ Edited ]
5 of 31 (6,449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2011 4:00:58 AM
(0)
Teacher

That link provided excellent info!  I will try emulating what you did.   There are several places in my home where we have a huge mess of wires/components in a very small area ...

That link provided excellent info!  I will try emulating what you did.   There are several places in my home where we have a huge mess of wires/components in a very small area ...

6 of 31 (6,417 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2011 3:36:06 AM
(0)
Teacher

I was having the signal loss problem yesterday in the late afternoon - 6 pm to 7 pm.  So I went around to each computer/STB/stereo during the period while the main TV screen was frozen and I unplugged coax, turned off surge protectors, etc.  Nothing I tried corrected the picture.  So I started moving things around - repositiong them - surge protectors, coax, etc.  I made sure all the connections were tight.  About that time (7:10 pm), everything was working again.  I doubt anything I did actually fixed anything - it's just the nature of this problem that it routinely goes out from 6 pm to 7 pm.  I guess if I actually DID solve anything - it should be evident over the next day or two.

However, I am thinking that the issue is more complex now.  Perhaps it has to do with a HAM operator - or temperatures in the late afternoon causing a weak card somewhere in the network to overheat and malfunction.  We live in FL and it's been getting up to 100 or more.  By 7 pm however, things have started cooling down some.  If it's a HAM operator - I am totally lost on how to track that down.  I doubt it has to do with lights, ballasts etc because this is too early for those things to kick on - beside that, if that were the case, I'd expect the outage to last all night as happened to other U-verse users.  While I can't say the outage is alway in the 6 to 7 pm hour - it's almost always somewhere around that time frame and about that duration - which makes you think it's something that's kicking on - but what?  Pool pumps, A/C units, etc all run for much longer than that and over a wider time period.  What runs for only about an hour or two in the late afternoon (but well before it's dark outside)?  I have no idea ... all I know is it prevents me from watching the evening news just about every single day.

I was having the signal loss problem yesterday in the late afternoon - 6 pm to 7 pm.  So I went around to each computer/STB/stereo during the period while the main TV screen was frozen and I unplugged coax, turned off surge protectors, etc.  Nothing I tried corrected the picture.  So I started moving things around - repositiong them - surge protectors, coax, etc.  I made sure all the connections were tight.  About that time (7:10 pm), everything was working again.  I doubt anything I did actually fixed anything - it's just the nature of this problem that it routinely goes out from 6 pm to 7 pm.  I guess if I actually DID solve anything - it should be evident over the next day or two.

However, I am thinking that the issue is more complex now.  Perhaps it has to do with a HAM operator - or temperatures in the late afternoon causing a weak card somewhere in the network to overheat and malfunction.  We live in FL and it's been getting up to 100 or more.  By 7 pm however, things have started cooling down some.  If it's a HAM operator - I am totally lost on how to track that down.  I doubt it has to do with lights, ballasts etc because this is too early for those things to kick on - beside that, if that were the case, I'd expect the outage to last all night as happened to other U-verse users.  While I can't say the outage is alway in the 6 to 7 pm hour - it's almost always somewhere around that time frame and about that duration - which makes you think it's something that's kicking on - but what?  Pool pumps, A/C units, etc all run for much longer than that and over a wider time period.  What runs for only about an hour or two in the late afternoon (but well before it's dark outside)?  I have no idea ... all I know is it prevents me from watching the evening news just about every single day.

7 of 31 (6,379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2011 7:02:53 AM
(0)
Expert
Next time it happens, see if you can capture some UVRT screen shots during that period of the Error Table, IP/Profile, and Bitloading tabs. Something might show up at that point that doesn't show up at other times.

Also take a look at the 2Wire RG during this period and see if the Broadband light or Service lights are blinking and/or red.
Next time it happens, see if you can capture some UVRT screen shots during that period of the Error Table, IP/Profile, and Bitloading tabs. Something might show up at that point that doesn't show up at other times.

Also take a look at the 2Wire RG during this period and see if the Broadband light or Service lights are blinking and/or red.

8 of 31 (6,369 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2011 4:01:59 PM
(0)
Teacher

I thought you might ask for those so I did capture the UVRT screen shots during the outage period last night.  BTW - tonight I am not having any problem whatsoever with the TV - ironically it's raining and heavy thunderstorms!  Here's the screen shot during the outage period last night:

I thought you might ask for those so I did capture the UVRT screen shots during the outage period last night.  BTW - tonight I am not having any problem whatsoever with the TV - ironically it's raining and heavy thunderstorms!  Here's the screen shot during the outage period last night:

9 of 31 (6,351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2011 5:01:13 PM
(0)
Expert
Are your TV boxes connected to the RG via coax or Ethernet?

Your line isn't the best in the world, but the error table shows that there isn't too much wrong with it.

If some of your boxes are connected on coax, there may be something else that needs to be checked.
Are your TV boxes connected to the RG via coax or Ethernet?

Your line isn't the best in the world, but the error table shows that there isn't too much wrong with it.

If some of your boxes are connected on coax, there may be something else that needs to be checked.

10 of 31 (6,345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2011 5:14:04 PM
(0)
Teacher

We have 3 STBs - all coax.  We have one Samsung HD TV (in a bedroom) but the other two are Sony WEGA CRTs which still work perfectly even though they are going on 10 years old - so I don't really have an inclination to replace them.  So we don't have the HD service.  As for the wiring, it's the original coax that was prewired when the house was built 18 years ago.  Crystal clear picture when we had Comcast.  U-Verse TV picture has never been as good as Comcast (in my opinion). Perhaps related to your comment that I don't have the best line in the world?  Is there a way to make that line better without rewiring to Ethernet?

Fast moving shots (like football plays) and brightly lit scenes (like fireworks, or award shows where you have lots of bright lights and theatrics) have moments where you see a pronounced loss of detail (not sure what to call it - it's not pixelation - it almost grainy).  It's been this way since day one of U-verse but it's goodpoints tend to outweigh the bad over Comcast (this current problem removed). 

We have 3 STBs - all coax.  We have one Samsung HD TV (in a bedroom) but the other two are Sony WEGA CRTs which still work perfectly even though they are going on 10 years old - so I don't really have an inclination to replace them.  So we don't have the HD service.  As for the wiring, it's the original coax that was prewired when the house was built 18 years ago.  Crystal clear picture when we had Comcast.  U-Verse TV picture has never been as good as Comcast (in my opinion). Perhaps related to your comment that I don't have the best line in the world?  Is there a way to make that line better without rewiring to Ethernet?

Fast moving shots (like football plays) and brightly lit scenes (like fireworks, or award shows where you have lots of bright lights and theatrics) have moments where you see a pronounced loss of detail (not sure what to call it - it's not pixelation - it almost grainy).  It's been this way since day one of U-verse but it's goodpoints tend to outweigh the bad over Comcast (this current problem removed). 

11 of 31 (6,190 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2011 6:56:56 PM
(0)
Expert

The picture quality issues may have something to do with the coax, but probably not the line.  The line has built-in error correction so the IPTV stream arriving at the RG is identical to everyone else's.  Your error table shows very little error correction, so I doubt there are any severe line problems.

If your STBs are connected on coax, you may have a coax issue in your house.  You may need to call tech support and request a technician to come and troubleshoot the coax installation.  He should look for and/or accomplish:

• Replacing cable end connectors with compression fittings

• Replace barrel connectors

• Replace splitters with 1.5GHz HPNA-certified splitters

• Replace the diplexer (if used in the installation)

The picture quality issues may have something to do with the coax, but probably not the line.  The line has built-in error correction so the IPTV stream arriving at the RG is identical to everyone else's.  Your error table shows very little error correction, so I doubt there are any severe line problems.

If your STBs are connected on coax, you may have a coax issue in your house.  You may need to call tech support and request a technician to come and troubleshoot the coax installation.  He should look for and/or accomplish:

• Replacing cable end connectors with compression fittings

• Replace barrel connectors

• Replace splitters with 1.5GHz HPNA-certified splitters

• Replace the diplexer (if used in the installation)

12 of 31 (6,182 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2011 2:36:54 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks.  I feel like I am getting somewhere with this now.  When the service was first installed over 20 months ago, we had an initial issue that lasted a few weeks.  The service would simply go out intermittantly - lights would start flashing on the RG.  Come to find out, the installer hadn't crimped the coax connector properly on one end of the coax that connected the RG to the wall.  It was truly as simple as that!  Once they put a new connector on - no more problems - until now that is!  

Since I moved my wires around the other night and reconnected/retightened all the coax cables - I haven't seen an issue.  It's only been one day though.  It's amazing how sensitive this technology is to any slight anomaly. 

If I continue to have issues going forward - I'll go down the route you suggested and have an inside tech come out to check those items.

Just wondered what your thoughts are regarding the need to use the Tripp Lite Isobar units?  They gave me one of the Isobar units when they did the install and it's on the RG and associated equipment in that room.  But the main TV/STBs in the other rooms only have Belkin surge protectors on them.  They all claim to have some level of RFI filtering - but wondering if I really should move to all ISOBAR units due to their claimed superior performance and isolation.  Here's what I have on the main TV/Home Theatre (note I don't use the coax filtering on these):

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=329553

Thanks.  I feel like I am getting somewhere with this now.  When the service was first installed over 20 months ago, we had an initial issue that lasted a few weeks.  The service would simply go out intermittantly - lights would start flashing on the RG.  Come to find out, the installer hadn't crimped the coax connector properly on one end of the coax that connected the RG to the wall.  It was truly as simple as that!  Once they put a new connector on - no more problems - until now that is!  

Since I moved my wires around the other night and reconnected/retightened all the coax cables - I haven't seen an issue.  It's only been one day though.  It's amazing how sensitive this technology is to any slight anomaly. 

If I continue to have issues going forward - I'll go down the route you suggested and have an inside tech come out to check those items.

Just wondered what your thoughts are regarding the need to use the Tripp Lite Isobar units?  They gave me one of the Isobar units when they did the install and it's on the RG and associated equipment in that room.  But the main TV/STBs in the other rooms only have Belkin surge protectors on them.  They all claim to have some level of RFI filtering - but wondering if I really should move to all ISOBAR units due to their claimed superior performance and isolation.  Here's what I have on the main TV/Home Theatre (note I don't use the coax filtering on these):

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=329553

13 of 31 (6,169 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2011 8:02:30 AM
(0)
Expert
The Tripp-Lite IsoBars are the only surge protectors out there that filter between the different devices plugged into the unit itself. This is important in computer installations or home theater installations where you have a large unit with high current draw at startup or during operation (such as a laser printer, AV receiver, or plasma TV) and you also have sensitive components on the same power strip (computer, U-Verse STB).

Normal power strips will allow interference from the heavy device to get directly to the sensitive device, whereas the IsoBars will filter that.

The IsoBars also have higher spike/surge joule suppression ratings, and better EMI/RFI filtering.

I use these almost exclusively at work and several at home.
The Tripp-Lite IsoBars are the only surge protectors out there that filter between the different devices plugged into the unit itself. This is important in computer installations or home theater installations where you have a large unit with high current draw at startup or during operation (such as a laser printer, AV receiver, or plasma TV) and you also have sensitive components on the same power strip (computer, U-Verse STB).

Normal power strips will allow interference from the heavy device to get directly to the sensitive device, whereas the IsoBars will filter that.

The IsoBars also have higher spike/surge joule suppression ratings, and better EMI/RFI filtering.

I use these almost exclusively at work and several at home.

14 of 31 (6,160 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2011 4:21:26 PM
(0)
Teacher

Ok - I am going to pick-up a couple more ISOBARs.

Was watching the PGA tournament this afternoon and the picture started freezing again.  Around 5 pm.  So I went into the PC room where the RG and Belkin backup are located and started moving some of the wires around a bit.  I noticed the alarm system started beeping (this indicates no dial tone).  So I got to looking at the splitter I had on the wall phone jack - this allows two phone wires to connect to the wall.  One wire is for a phone and the other to the RG.   So I removed the splitter and took the phone out completely (put a cordless satellite in there instead).  Now the RG phone line goes straight into the wall phone jack - no splitter.  I also moved the Belkin backup power supply away from the RG and untangled all the wires.  I tightened the coax at both ends (wall and RG).  Again - it's hard to say if this really did anything - but I noticed the golf I was watching stopped freezing and the alarm system stopped beeping.  Could be a coincidence - could be something I did ... time will tell.

Ok - I am going to pick-up a couple more ISOBARs.

Was watching the PGA tournament this afternoon and the picture started freezing again.  Around 5 pm.  So I went into the PC room where the RG and Belkin backup are located and started moving some of the wires around a bit.  I noticed the alarm system started beeping (this indicates no dial tone).  So I got to looking at the splitter I had on the wall phone jack - this allows two phone wires to connect to the wall.  One wire is for a phone and the other to the RG.   So I removed the splitter and took the phone out completely (put a cordless satellite in there instead).  Now the RG phone line goes straight into the wall phone jack - no splitter.  I also moved the Belkin backup power supply away from the RG and untangled all the wires.  I tightened the coax at both ends (wall and RG).  Again - it's hard to say if this really did anything - but I noticed the golf I was watching stopped freezing and the alarm system stopped beeping.  Could be a coincidence - could be something I did ... time will tell.

15 of 31 (6,147 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2011 2:26:34 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by jdigeorgio on Aug 14, 2011 at 2:28:20 PM

This afternoon - the picture is still messed up.  Watching golf again (if you can call it watching when the picture is frozen 95 percent of the time).  Anyway, I called U-VERSE and spoke to advanced support and explained how long this has been going on and what it was doing.  They ran some tests and said they really didn't see anything - all the while the picture is frozen!  At this point they emphathized with my situation and then asked if I wanted to speak to retention!  They are ready to call it quits.  I said no because I had to line up something with Comcast to install new service before I cut the cord with ATT.

So I got to thinking about the box outside on the wall where the cable splitters are (due to Joe's earlier post).  I opened the box and noted the 2 Holland splitters and a mess of coax cable.  Everything seemed tight however.  So I carefully tucked it all back into the box and closed it up again.  I went back into the house and now I have the solid blue screen stating NO TV SIGNAL.  This screen is what I was seeing intermittently before - but now it is constant.  So after an hour of that screen being steady - I called ATT back.  This time they ran a test and were seeing three red X's - whatever that means, I assume errors.  They said they will send someone out tomorrow between 4 to 9 pm.  I am hoping that I found the "weak" link here and that with new splitters and new connectors - I will be good as new.  But I am cautiously optimistic after all the false positives before.   I truly feel like this is my last ditch effort - and then it's off to Comcast (which is not what I want).

Incidentally, I also spoke to my neighbor this afternoon who just got U-verse in the last week or so.  He is not having any problems whatsoever - and he's about 50 feet from me...

This afternoon - the picture is still messed up.  Watching golf again (if you can call it watching when the picture is frozen 95 percent of the time).  Anyway, I called U-VERSE and spoke to advanced support and explained how long this has been going on and what it was doing.  They ran some tests and said they really didn't see anything - all the while the picture is frozen!  At this point they emphathized with my situation and then asked if I wanted to speak to retention!  They are ready to call it quits.  I said no because I had to line up something with Comcast to install new service before I cut the cord with ATT.

So I got to thinking about the box outside on the wall where the cable splitters are (due to Joe's earlier post).  I opened the box and noted the 2 Holland splitters and a mess of coax cable.  Everything seemed tight however.  So I carefully tucked it all back into the box and closed it up again.  I went back into the house and now I have the solid blue screen stating NO TV SIGNAL.  This screen is what I was seeing intermittently before - but now it is constant.  So after an hour of that screen being steady - I called ATT back.  This time they ran a test and were seeing three red X's - whatever that means, I assume errors.  They said they will send someone out tomorrow between 4 to 9 pm.  I am hoping that I found the "weak" link here and that with new splitters and new connectors - I will be good as new.  But I am cautiously optimistic after all the false positives before.   I truly feel like this is my last ditch effort - and then it's off to Comcast (which is not what I want).

Incidentally, I also spoke to my neighbor this afternoon who just got U-verse in the last week or so.  He is not having any problems whatsoever - and he's about 50 feet from me...

[ Edited ]
16 of 31 (6,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 14, 2011 3:16:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Aug 14, 2011 at 3:26:42 PM

I think it is not a good idea to have sharp bends in the coax. From your description of "splitter box" it sounds like you may have sharp bends. Can you ask the installer to feed a single wire to a place where the splitters can be fed without bending the coax.

Also, where the existing cables are bent they may now be defective & should not be used.

I think it is not a good idea to have sharp bends in the coax. From your description of "splitter box" it sounds like you may have sharp bends. Can you ask the installer to feed a single wire to a place where the splitters can be fed without bending the coax.

Also, where the existing cables are bent they may now be defective & should not be used.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
17 of 31 (6,121 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2011 4:19:08 PM
(0)
Teacher

If having sharps bends is not good - than I have a disaster.  The original U-Verse installer used the old Comcast box and it's probably around 7 by 12 inches (or so).  However, there are so many cables in that box it looks like sphaghetti - loops and loops and loops.  I could barely get the box to close again.  I only have 3 TVs but to look at it you'd think I had 12 TVs. 

I sure wish they had configured it differently when the house was built - with the cables on the inside of the garage - that way space would not have been an issue. Harder for the tech I suppose but the homeowner is almost always home when you make an appt anyway.  Incidentally - I had asked the U-Verse techs about replacing the Comcast cable box (now 18 years old and falling apart) on several occasions when they were out at the house - and everyone of them said - "we don't have anything like that".   I asked if they could get "something like that" and come back.  They all told me that ATT doesn't have that sort of thing and one told me to try Home Depot ... truly amazing!  I find it hard to believe the ATT doesn't have something like this and always relies on the old cable installation for the box that they use - could that be correct? 

Thanks for the tip.

If having sharps bends is not good - than I have a disaster.  The original U-Verse installer used the old Comcast box and it's probably around 7 by 12 inches (or so).  However, there are so many cables in that box it looks like sphaghetti - loops and loops and loops.  I could barely get the box to close again.  I only have 3 TVs but to look at it you'd think I had 12 TVs. 

I sure wish they had configured it differently when the house was built - with the cables on the inside of the garage - that way space would not have been an issue. Harder for the tech I suppose but the homeowner is almost always home when you make an appt anyway.  Incidentally - I had asked the U-Verse techs about replacing the Comcast cable box (now 18 years old and falling apart) on several occasions when they were out at the house - and everyone of them said - "we don't have anything like that".   I asked if they could get "something like that" and come back.  They all told me that ATT doesn't have that sort of thing and one told me to try Home Depot ... truly amazing!  I find it hard to believe the ATT doesn't have something like this and always relies on the old cable installation for the box that they use - could that be correct? 

Thanks for the tip.

18 of 31 (6,112 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2011 4:31:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
I started on this because you said you saw a change when you stirred it up. Just throwing things out -

Loops and loopsof cable - can they be pulled out & cut to a decent length? Or, for now pulled out straight to see if it makes U-verse work

Did the original installer get in there and change the cable ends?

Can you have them run a single wire from the NID to inside the garage to mount the splitters or diplexer on the wall?

Mine are on a beam in the basement.
I started on this because you said you saw a change when you stirred it up. Just throwing things out -

Loops and loopsof cable - can they be pulled out & cut to a decent length? Or, for now pulled out straight to see if it makes U-verse work

Did the original installer get in there and change the cable ends?

Can you have them run a single wire from the NID to inside the garage to mount the splitters or diplexer on the wall?

Mine are on a beam in the basement.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

19 of 31 (6,109 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2011 5:03:14 PM
(0)
Teacher

I think you are absolutely right - I seem to have found a weak link by just moving the wires around a bit.  And it's still out many hours later.  I'd like to mess with it more - like you said - straighten out the loops and see if it comes back.  But 1.  it's been storming here and 2. I'd like to leave it in the current state until the tech arrives in the hopes the outage will assist with the troubleshooting.

I love the idea you proposed - a single wire (or two) from the NID through the wall into the garage where the splitters can be mounted.  I'd gladly cut a hole in the garage interior wall to facilitate that.  Already did this once for a plumping problem - what's another one ...

I can ask them - but something tells me it's going to be too big a job and they aren't going to want to do this. 

I think you are absolutely right - I seem to have found a weak link by just moving the wires around a bit.  And it's still out many hours later.  I'd like to mess with it more - like you said - straighten out the loops and see if it comes back.  But 1.  it's been storming here and 2. I'd like to leave it in the current state until the tech arrives in the hopes the outage will assist with the troubleshooting.

I love the idea you proposed - a single wire (or two) from the NID through the wall into the garage where the splitters can be mounted.  I'd gladly cut a hole in the garage interior wall to facilitate that.  Already did this once for a plumping problem - what's another one ...

I can ask them - but something tells me it's going to be too big a job and they aren't going to want to do this. 

20 of 31 (6,102 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 14, 2011 7:50:31 PM
(0)
Expert
Yes, you definitely have a coax problem. No doubt the coax cables are bent well beyond the recommended bend radius.

They need to remove the old box that's too small and give you a new larger box that has more room. The coax cables should never bend sharper than about a 4"-5" diameter circle.

It also sounds like there are cascaded splitters in that box, which should also be changed out. There should be one splitter with multiple outputs instead.
Yes, you definitely have a coax problem. No doubt the coax cables are bent well beyond the recommended bend radius.

They need to remove the old box that's too small and give you a new larger box that has more room. The coax cables should never bend sharper than about a 4"-5" diameter circle.

It also sounds like there are cascaded splitters in that box, which should also be changed out. There should be one splitter with multiple outputs instead.

21 of 31 (6,175 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2011 3:40:44 AM
(0)
Teacher

I am concerned they:

1.  won't have a larger splitter on the truck so they can replace out the two with one and

2.  they most definitely aren't going to have a larger box (they don't seem to carry boxes on their trucks) - I have asked multiple times in the past because the box was in such bad shape

I wish I could call and talk to someone about this before they come out - but calling the numbers they have left in the past seem to be useless.  The network manager's number ALWAYS goes to voicemail and he NEVER calls me back.  I'd say I have left him 6 voice mails over the last couple of months.  Why do they leave you their phone number on a card if they don't want you to be able to contact them?  This is probably my biggest frustration - even more so than having the service problem.

I am tempted to go buy a box myself today just to ensure we can have that on hand.  The splliter I can't do anything about because I know it has to have certain specs and you can't just pick those up at Radio Shack!

I am concerned they:

1.  won't have a larger splitter on the truck so they can replace out the two with one and

2.  they most definitely aren't going to have a larger box (they don't seem to carry boxes on their trucks) - I have asked multiple times in the past because the box was in such bad shape

I wish I could call and talk to someone about this before they come out - but calling the numbers they have left in the past seem to be useless.  The network manager's number ALWAYS goes to voicemail and he NEVER calls me back.  I'd say I have left him 6 voice mails over the last couple of months.  Why do they leave you their phone number on a card if they don't want you to be able to contact them?  This is probably my biggest frustration - even more so than having the service problem.

I am tempted to go buy a box myself today just to ensure we can have that on hand.  The splliter I can't do anything about because I know it has to have certain specs and you can't just pick those up at Radio Shack!

22 of 31 (6,169 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2011 6:31:52 AM
(0)
Expert

If the techs can't fix this problem properly, it's time to involve David:

Click the tab in my signature below that says AT&T Links, and on that signature panel there is a link that says AT&T Social Media Support Team. This will take you to a page with contact information for David, who is a tier 2 specialist. Follow the directions there to e-mail him, he will get to the bottom of the problem.

If the techs can't fix this problem properly, it's time to involve David:

Click the tab in my signature below that says AT&T Links, and on that signature panel there is a link that says AT&T Social Media Support Team. This will take you to a page with contact information for David, who is a tier 2 specialist. Follow the directions there to e-mail him, he will get to the bottom of the problem.

23 of 31 (6,159 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2011 4:59:22 PM
(0)
Teacher

OK - the tech came out.  Got a good one!  He rewired it all and put it all in the attic.  Eliminated the need for the box completely and put a new splitter on it with new ends on all the coax. My error - the other item was a multiplexer and he said I needed that.

So far - good.  But it's only been an hour or so.  Time will tell.  I am keeping my fingers crossed.

OK - the tech came out.  Got a good one!  He rewired it all and put it all in the attic.  Eliminated the need for the box completely and put a new splitter on it with new ends on all the coax. My error - the other item was a multiplexer and he said I needed that.

So far - good.  But it's only been an hour or so.  Time will tell.  I am keeping my fingers crossed.

24 of 31 (6,134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2011 7:36:10 PM
(0)
Expert
Awesome, keep us posted.
Awesome, keep us posted.

25 of 31 (6,120 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2011 3:33:13 AM
(0)
Teacher

I will do that. 

Also, I found out that the network manager I had been leaving multiple voicemails with has left ATT - about a month ago.  That explains no call back from him.  I should have suspected this when he never answered directly and it went straight to voicemail  ...

I will do that. 

Also, I found out that the network manager I had been leaving multiple voicemails with has left ATT - about a month ago.  That explains no call back from him.  I should have suspected this when he never answered directly and it went straight to voicemail  ...

26 of 31 (6,119 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2011 4:17:19 PM
(0)
Teacher

I watched about an hour of the news this evening.  No problems whatsoever!  Truly amazing that a bad splitter/coax can cause so much trouble with the service.  This forum rocks.  I would most likely be back on Comcast now without it.

I don't feel totally out of the water yet.  Maybe in a day or two if the service stays good I'll totally believe it - but this is definitely a good sign.

Kudos to SomeJoe7777 and aviewer for your help and suggestions.  Here's what UVRT says now - now sure how to read it but I was wondering if this paints a different picture than before:

I watched about an hour of the news this evening.  No problems whatsoever!  Truly amazing that a bad splitter/coax can cause so much trouble with the service.  This forum rocks.  I would most likely be back on Comcast now without it.

I don't feel totally out of the water yet.  Maybe in a day or two if the service stays good I'll totally believe it - but this is definitely a good sign.

Kudos to SomeJoe7777 and aviewer for your help and suggestions.  Here's what UVRT says now - now sure how to read it but I was wondering if this paints a different picture than before:

27 of 31 (6,098 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2011 4:22:20 PM
(0)
Expert
Very cool. The error table certainly looks way better, for sure.

The profile is still a little borderline, but it's so close to being OK that I doubt you'll have problems. Keep us posted, let us know if everything stays running right.
Very cool. The error table certainly looks way better, for sure.

The profile is still a little borderline, but it's so close to being OK that I doubt you'll have problems. Keep us posted, let us know if everything stays running right.

28 of 31 (6,094 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2011 5:37:19 PM
(0)
Professor
It is the same way with providential style catv carriers such as comcast, when you have a digital tv service. That is one reason I stayed away from a coax network, when I wired my boxes into my LAN.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

29 of 31 (6,088 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2011 6:12:37 AM
(0)
Expert

We had 25 YO coax from way back, and this is what I pulled up from outside!

After LOTS of issues, they ended up using Ethernet from the NID (outside box on home) instead of coax.

We had 25 YO coax from way back, and this is what I pulled up from outside!

After LOTS of issues, they ended up using Ethernet from the NID (outside box on home) instead of coax.

30 of 31 (6,074 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments